Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My paranoia sets in when entering an unknown gas station for filling. I survey the best I can, but there is always that "unknown". Do I have enough room to turn, will I make a fool out of myself, will I have to unhook the toad. All of these things race around the brain at the instant of entering. Been lucky so far, but someday it is going to get me. At least that's what the little voice in there says....
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
My paranoia sets in when entering an unknown gas station for filling. I survey the best I can, but there is always that "unknown". Do I have enough room to turn, will I make a fool out of myself, will I have to unhook the toad. All of these things race around the brain at the instant of entering. Been lucky so far, but someday it is going to get me. At least that's what the little voice in there says....
Old Murphy has nipped (no damages) me a couple of times in getting boxed in, but with time and patience, always managed to get out without unhooking. One time over an hr at a restaurant. I was constantly maneuvering, silently wishing one of the two jokers that boxed me in would come out and move their vehicle. I really think the jerks were inside just watching. Since that episode, I really watch where I park.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

my secret confession, actually ours, is that when we pull into a campground, we choose a site as far as possible from any that have kids' bikes/stuff in them.
we love kids but not when we're camping. that's a big reason we choose not to camp in the summer. camping is a wonderful activity for families and since summer is the usual time for them, we want them to enjoy the experience.
we camp when they're back in school and living in California, that means 9 months of camping.
Us too. We pretty much won't do any camping until September/October.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #44

You guys need to lighten up on yourselves. Who cares if it takes two tries to get into a camping spot. I really enjoy backing up with a trailer. Everyone knows it is not the easiest thing to do in a tight spot and there are blind spots all around but I take it as a challenge and just do it. If someone wants to laugh at me I would shrug it off and watch them like a hawk for them to make a mistake, and offer to help if they needed it.

My secret confession is that I love to watch someone backing up a truck and trailer, but it is sure not to make fun of them. I enjoy watching the hitch interact with the front tires of the tow vehicle. If they happen to back into something I would probably take them a beer and help them out if I could.

Another secret confession, I enjoy walking through the campground to people watch and see how friendly other people are. People watching can be very interesting.
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #45

Secret confession. I 'm the one in the straw cowboy hat fired up on BlackJack(Daniels), singin' way too loud to my much too loud CD player blastin' Sweet Home Alabama.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #46

My secret confession, I don’t like camping in Missouri State Parks. In many Missouri state parks there are posts close to the road that get in the way when backing. Those post are short enough that they can disappear in your mirror when backing. It’s not the post on your site that presents a problem, it’s the post on the opposite side of the road that can be an issue, especially for big rigs. My rig is 35 feet long and I have a crewcab 4X4 truck, so when I back into a site the front of the truck will almost always have to swing into the grass area opposite the site. That’s when those posts can jump out and damage your truck. Here’s a pic taken at Meramec State Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1030.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	31258  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Secret confession. I 'm the one in the straw cowboy hat fired up on BlackJack(Daniels), singin' way too loud to my much too loud CD player blastin' Sweet Home Alabama.
Can't play "Sweet Home Alabama" too loud for me! and I'm not even FROM Alabama. Love the song; love Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #48
Phat Phrog Physician

Secret Confession:

When I say to the DF "Oh hell no, honey, that wasn't me, that was the dog!!!"...

It really was me.

Doc

SabreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #49

hahahhaha...Doc, I blame it on our cat.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreDoc View Post
Secret Confession:

When I say to the DF "Oh hell no, honey, that wasn't me, that was the dog!!!"...

It really was me.

Doc
Secret confession:

Sometimes when the dog smells horrible, I take credit for it and laugh...
Old 05-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #51
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Well, marginally anonymous.

Well, ok - not anonymous at all.

My first: I approach every campground with absolute fear and dread of having to park my rig. When I get backed into the site, I still feel like it was luck rather than skill! More times than not, it's not a complete mess - it actually goes pretty well.

I love doing it. And been doing it so long that its almost unconscious.

Unlike boats, that don't sit still while you figure out what to do, an RV allows you to just stop and figure it out.

The DW and I have interesting conversationS on which way is left or right LOL.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

my secret confessions: I love it when I back it in easily with a bunch of guys standing around expecting a show from the lady. I nail it and they comment on how they couldn't have done it that easily. I can pretty much put that TT darn near anywhere I need to unless I'm too tired to know my drivers side from my passengers side. . I also am usually way ahead of DH and have already begun changing the trajectory of the TT before I tell him, but hey it makes him feel good to help.

my secret fear- I am horrible t judging height of things so I'm terrified of every overhead wire and gas station roof. don't know what I'll do when we finally get around to getting the new fiver.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
The DW and I have interesting conversationS on which way is left or right LOL.

use passenger side, drivers side instead of left or right.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #54
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
use passenger side, drivers side instead of left or right.
Yeah that helps but sometimes the DW doesn't realize that left is right and right is left regarding the front wheels AND how slowly a fiver reacts to driver input when backing.

We get a lot of entertainment out of it.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

yeah even after I taught DH how to back, he still doesn't get the reaction time of the TT.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #56

Secret confession #4 and no offense to any of you who use this, which is a lot of people. But I get really annoyed with the DW, DH, DD, DS abbreviations. To each their own, but since this is a secret confession and all...
Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

one more confession.... I drive by truck trailer combos and judge them for safety all the time now (and not just rv's but all kinds of trailers). I look at how level they are, if it is way too much trailer for the TV, or if they have or don't have wdh. I then secretly wish I could take a pic and post on a forum if the setup is really bad.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #58
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post
Secret confession #4 and no offense to any of you who use this, which is a lot of people. But I get really annoyed with the DW, DH, DD, DS abbreviations. To each their own, but since this is a secret confession and all...
Sure glad you didn't include TOWTA!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Sure glad you didn't include TOWTA!
I do not even know what that means....
Old 05-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Towta--- The other womans totally awesome?
Toyota owners wear turquoise ascots?