Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #81

My secret confessions - I have a few. My camper stays cleaner than my house! And it has nicer towels, silverware and decor in it than I keep in my house. I also don't cook very much at home but I love cooking while we're camping. I'm obviously a much better camperwife than I am a housewife!

Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #82
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heldapay View Post
My secret confessions - I have a few. My camper stays cleaner than my house! And it has nicer towels, silverware and decor in it than I keep in my house. I also don't cook very much at home but I love cooking while we're camping. I'm obviously a much better camperwife than I am a housewife!
You just described my sister!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #83

Ha ha sounds like my wife! We grill when camping so the cooking is on me. Man thought I was only one. I tease her when I see other women driving, setting up etc.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #84
Always Learning

I don't cook - not even to grill.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I hit 1 of those stinking posts across the road last year at 1st Landing State Park, and scuffed up my truck front fender.....that goodness the post was mounted in sand, and "gave" some.

I have backed into a tree and hit my ladder, no damage. I have hit a trash can, resulting in a slight mark on a awning support.

The 1st time I took this camper out, I tried to get it into a spot that I had gotten my Trailmanor into.....didn't even think I was gonna get out of that bind. I then promptly ran over a tree stump at another site....that goodness it didn't take out my waste water dump valves.

And these are just the mishaps that I admit to.
That's why I always hope and pray that the RV park or campground we are reserving a site at has pull-throughs and one is available. I really hate it when a campground has a narrow road and the sites are 90 degrees to the road. That always means stressing the tires and axles.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heldapay View Post
don't feel bad you just totally described me. I even worry about how neat I keep it at the campground. Doing the dishes does not bother me when camping either. I guess everything is better when camping, even housework.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #87
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You just described my sister!
Sheesh, she just described ME!
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #88
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Secret confession: We don't like crowds and heavy traffic, so we almost never camp (or travel at all) on holidays, like this weekend. President's Day, Columbus Day? Yeah, we'll do that. Even Arbor Day. And Myrtle Beach is not bad in the winter. That's the only time we'll go. Key West? We'll go in the summer when it's unbearably hot but relatively deserted.
X2. Holidays are good times to stay home.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #89
NELA

OK, my confession is that when DH looked at the new TT dwarfin' the back yard and said;

We didn't need that much trailer

I said,

Who's talking about need....this puppy is about WANTS!

Oh, I can't back to save myself. Once jack knifed a van with 2 horse trailer connected just trying to back it up far enough to mow where ex had parked the V/HT the day before.

"gimme 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around"

I'm also guilty of running back and forth from side to side while yelling directions to DH while backing.

Those who can....do. Those who can't...yell directions.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Janice- having learned how to back using my old 2 horse trailer, I can tell you these babies are easier to back than the little horse trailers. just go to a mall or school and practice in an empty parking lot. you'll get it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #91
Wanna Be Camper

Even though I haul my flat deck a couple times a month, every season before we start out I hook up to the trailer and do a few practice back ins from different angles and directions (the beauty of having 16 acres). I put 2 boards down where the tires sit and practice backing the trailer onto the boards. After a few of those we then practice our setup and tear downs to make sure we haven't gone brain dead over the winter. Last year we ended up leaving the remotes for the TV and ZX700 at home when we went to Indiana so we go through all that inventory as well. All so we don't start out looking like newbies which we did one year and swore it would never happen again.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #92
Resident Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Being a big fan of the lake, and having a nice boat, I feel that anytime we go camping during boating season I am cheating on my boat with my camper.
LOL...I am 110% with you there. This is the one and only battle I have with DW about camping in the summer. My argument never changes either. "I have a boat, why in the heck would I sit in the woods on a gorgeous summer day when I could be on the water?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003_edited.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	31394  
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
LOL...I am 110% with you there. This is the one and only battle I have with DW about camping in the summer. My argument never changes either. "I have a boat, why in the heck would I sit in the woods on a gorgeous summer day when I could be on the water?"
I make the same argument - SWMBO's reply: "Why would i want to sit out in the hot sun baking like a potato when I can be sitting in the cool woods?"
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #94
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Janice- having learned how to back using my old 2 horse trailer, I can tell you these babies are easier to back than the little horse trailers. just go to a mall or school and practice in an empty parking lot. you'll get it.
Ummm just gettin TO that parking lot would give me a case of vapors.

Seriously, all that bassackerds steerin' just throws circuit breakers in my old noggin.

Ya know what they say 'bout old dogs and new tricks, and I *am* an old dog.

After lookin at all the SERIOUS hardware called a trailer hitch on this puppy, I told DH he never has to worry 'bout wakin up one morning here at home and findin out I've hitched up and left him here. And that won't involve any bassackerds steerin!

DH is *good* with backin....so I'll leave that to him. Our whole neighborhood came out to see what we dragged in, and watched as he backed it (8ft' wide) up a long drive and through 12ft privacy fence double gates.

They say opposits attract. I'm a freaker out'er,, he's a steady as she goes'er.

I'm totally content being the little Jack Russel running from side to side yippin directions.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #95

I hauled heating oil for many years from Warren PA and delivered it to schools in Niagara Falls NY. Now whoever designed the drop off areas must have worked for FR design department and lacked the common sense that is needed to get a 60 +or- foot rig backed into this narrow drive, most of the time in many feet of snow. Early on this one older driver (Me Now) gave me the best tip on how to back up without any trouble or the need to cuss profusely at the cars darting around me as I backed off the road I was blocking off. What you do is steer with your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and you only correct your trailer with slight movements, not big palm spinning circls on the wheel corrections. This works because your mind is telling you what way to turn going forward and with your hands on the bottom of the wheel it is opposite movement you need unlike when your hands are on top. Make sense??? Try it!!
2013 days camped 16
wayne in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #96
rce

Takes me 3 steps to get trailer parked beside my garage. First send DW into house and check neighbour isn't watching. Second very carefully negotiate ditches beside road and surrounding my driveway to get trailer in perfect alignment to go back in beside garage. Third unhook, straighten truck, rehook and slide trailer back in beside garage.

For the life of me the truck won't cooperate without unhooking once! Gave it a try again last weekend and truck started to tip precariously into ditch. Never needed 4 wheel drive so quickly before! Left trailer in front of garage for now.
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #97
Denver, CO

Quote:
It is shady in the woods. The DW is of Irish descent and fries at the mention of sun. So we do spring and fall sailing (and camping) and camp all summer . Winds are better and weather is more settled in the spring and fall also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	31441  
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #98
daydreaming about camping

Quote:

Nice run about. Got out on the boat Saturday for a while. Too windy to wake board, too cold to surf. Nasty weekend.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #99

Does anyone else "pucker" when you get into a highway construction zone and one of Jersey barrier funnels? I just keep thinking "you can fit" and "keep it in the middle ". I especially like the ones that keep jogging left and right!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #100
Always Learning

Jim & Nicky - in Pennsylvania, they had a bridge over the Susquehanna River that was under construction with narrow jersey walls on both sides. With the truck alone, I panicked each time thinking I was going to hit when entering the cow shoot. I took a detour when towing!

In Jersey last year (I think it was Jersey). We had a miss in communication about the door. We both thought the other locked and laid the big grab handle over. Turns out we didn't - so I had an extra foot sticking out the side of my camper until I could find a place to pull over. It just so happened to be immediately after 500' of jersey wall that was almost that exact height (or so it felt)!