Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #141

We jumped from truck camper to 41ft 5th wheel...I fear every campground we pull into....

enjoyed reading I'm not the only one uncomfortable with backing in sometimes....
Camper: 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK
Nights Camped in 2012 (truck camper) 16
Nights Camped in 2013 48
Brian and Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #142

I have to admit although everyone told me towing a 5th wheel would be so much easier, I don't know if that's true or not. Or is it me getting use to the extra 7 feet from my previous bumper pull. Campground roads seem so much tighter now. Then I look at a another 5er that's set up and say to myself if they can do it, so can I. Been driving and towing all my life. From farm tractors and trailers, to this. Guess I may be over thinking it.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #143

I have enjoyed all your confessions. Thought I'd join in.

first - I too am a much better campwife then housewife.

My husband has never dumped the black tank, I do and I don't cook while we camp, he does.

Also, don't think me a bad person...I hate dogs. Not big dogs, little dogs. (I was bit in the face when I was young by one and have never liked them since.) Especially when the owner lets them come up to you and says stuff like.. "you can pet him it's all right" I don't want to pet your dog, I don't want him sniffing around me like he is going to pee on me and I don't want to listen to him barking. Sorry if I offended everyone. But we are confessing.
sprint180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #144
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint180 View Post

My husband has never dumped the black tank, I do and I don't cook while we camp, he does.

Also, don't think me a bad person...I hate dogs. Not big dogs, little dogs. (I was bit in the face when I was young by one and have never liked them since.) Especially when the owner lets them come up to you and says stuff like.. "you can pet him it's all right" I don't want to pet your dog, I don't want him sniffing around me like he is going to pee on me and I don't want to listen to him barking. Sorry if I offended everyone. But we are confessing.
Kinda like you, I like 'trained' dogs and I don't want to hear them. I'll pet them, but other than that, I just tolerate 'em. Have never been bitten, I just don't want to mess with 'em. We have one but TOWTA takes care of it, I will play with it, but won't tolerate jumping on me or others or barking after it is told to stop. Like to throw a golf ball and let it fetch, but that's about the extent. Our dog is a wonderful traveler. Open the truck door and she is in her cage like a flash and goes to sleep.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #145

Quote:

To each his own, huh?

I dumo the tanks. My wife cooks when camping, I cook at home (most of the time)!

A bad person? NOOOO. And yes, we have a dog. She's not small, not large - sorta in between at 50lbs. She doesn't bark at much of anything, and NEVER in a campground!. Our best friends are NOT dog people, and we are like brothers and sisters (and they are not bad people)

But one of my pet peeves is dog owners who don't train their dogs to not bark, and who let their dogs run up to people, jump on them, etc., and be generally unruly. Our dog has been trained to walk at heel without a leash, and does not approach anyone without my permission.

So I understand your concerns.

Happy camping!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #146
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't cook - not even to grill.
Ok, who's the jokester that talked to my wife before this Labor Day weekend trip? She was there 3 nights and I cooked dinner over the fire all 3 nights?

(And, know what? The chicken that I made Sunday was easily the best chicken I've ever eaten!)

--

Oh and in other confessions, I drove my truck forward into a tree while parking the camper. I was pulling forward to straighten out and (thud) I hit the tree gently but firmly. Got luck- hit right on one of my tow hooks.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #147

Quote:

Ok, who's the jokester that talked to my wife before this Labor Day weekend trip? She was there 3 nights and I cooked dinner over the fire all 3 nights?

(And, know what? The chicken that I made Sunday was easily the best chicken I've ever eaten!)

--

Oh and in other confessions, I drove my truck forward into a tree while parking the camper. I was pulling forward to straighten out and (thud) I hit the tree gently but firmly. Got luck- hit right on one of my tow hooks.
So now you have demonstrated that you are able to cook (or at least grill), you will be doing more of it. ;-) and as for hitting a tree, well I confess, I lost an argument with one of those picnic grill stands when backing into my site a couple of years ago with my now retired TV. It came out of nowhere and defied me to prove that two items could occupy the same space at the same time. I lost and now have a three inch gash in my right front fender.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #148
Always Learning

I got lucky - no damage. I'm still just in awe that I PULLED FORWARD into it. I swear I was looking at it. And, of course it happened after our neighbors came back from their outing so I had an audience!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #149

Funy how you can look right at it and proceed to run right into it. Good that it was only ego damage. Back when we were tent camping, my hubby was leaving early one am with a buddy to go golfing. A loud bang woke me up and a string a choice words made me look out of the tent. DH had backed right into a tree. He swore the tree had not been there when he looked before backing. Really. Really. (Lucky it was only a broken tail light. )
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #150
NELA

OK, I'll confess...I was scared outta my everlovin' mind, but I drove "Biff" and towed "Francis" coming back from this trip!

I *will* conquer this demon! So, after crossing over from MS to LA I asked DH to let me take that frightening first step. Conditions were optimal...late at night, not a lot of traffic.

So now I know what it feels like to have an 18 wheeler overtake ya while crossing one of those small bridges with the rough approaches. I understand that the air "push" can occur long before the vehicle overtaking you even reaches the axels on the TT.

I've learned that, as he says, "just drive the truck" makes sense. I'm *learning* that slow reaction is best when dealing with the buffeting. Center yourself and stay away from rumble strips. FTR, no, I didn't hit 'em until I pulled over to let him take it back, after we "thought" we heard an unusual noise....just eased over 'em, that was enough to convince me.

So yeah, I did it for about 45 miles! Swore to him I'd stay above minimum (40) but *not* more than 50! Holy moley, before I knew it I was at 60! ACK! back 'er down!

He says I did very well, and to be honest it wasn't near as terrible as I'd worked my self up to believing it'd be.

Oh, and this is Tuesday, that was Sunday night...today I can actually uncurl my fingers.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #151
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
OK, I'll confess...I was scared outta my everlovin' mind, but I drove "Biff" and towed "Francis" coming back from this trip!

I *will* conquer this demon! So, after crossing over from MS to LA I asked DH to let me take that frightening first step. Conditions were optimal...late at night, not a lot of traffic.

So now I know what it feels like to have an 18 wheeler overtake ya while crossing one of those small bridges with the rough approaches. I understand that the air "push" can occur long before the vehicle overtaking you even reaches the axels on the TT.

I've learned that, as he says, "just drive the truck" makes sense. I'm *learning* that slow reaction is best when dealing with the buffeting. Center yourself and stay away from rumble strips. FTR, no, I didn't hit 'em until I pulled over to let him take it back, after we "thought" we heard an unusual noise....just eased over 'em, that was enough to convince me.

So yeah, I did it for about 45 miles! Swore to him I'd stay above minimum (40) but *not* more than 50! Holy moley, before I knew it I was at 60! ACK! back 'er down!

He says I did very well, and to be honest it wasn't near as terrible as I'd worked my self up to believing it'd be.
Fantastic stuff!

It's terrific having wife drive. She's done highways, side roads and tunnels. About the only thing that she hasn't done is back 'er up any.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #152

Here is my confession: We like to go "camper stalking" right around dusk. Not so much to see what people are doing, more to see their rig, camp setup, tow vehicles, goofy lights, etc. This is almost always done with a Jameson's on the rocks in-hand.

BTW, this is a great thread...

Jamie
jamie325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #153
NELA

Quote:
Fantastic stuff!

It's terrific having wife drive. She's done highways, side roads and tunnels. About the only thing that she hasn't done is back 'er up any.
Well, he installed the backup camera system on "Biff" during this trip, so I'm thinkin that's in the realm of possibilities these days, at least for hitchin up.

No bets on backin' both of 'em yet!

He joked about takin' a nap while I drove....NYET! I needed my co-pilot for every mile of that first step.

I've told him that I'm terrified of tight turns....stayin' off curbs, etc.

I'll get there. I just wanted that first attempt to be under optimal conditions.

LOL no more than 4 miles into it, here came the 18 wheeler! While approaching a bridge, dang it!

There is a distinct possibility that my finger imprints are still on that steering wheel.

I see this as an "us" adventure, and feel it's my responsibility to do as much of my share as I can physically/mentally/emotionally handle.

And, we've gotta keep it *FUN*!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #154
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie325i View Post
Here is my confession: We like to go "camper stalking" right around dusk. Not so much to see what people are doing, more to see their rig, camp setup, tow vehicles, goofy lights, etc. This is almost always done with a Jameson's on the rocks in-hand.

Jamie
Oh, so we're not the only ones! LOL, except that with us it's a Gentleman Jack and coke in hand.

We find if we're not stalkin' others, they're stalkin' us! LOL, I've already learned to *make up the bed* immediately after wakin' up. People seem to be obsessed with our V-Lite...what's up in that nose?????

Tempted to start chargin' for tours.

One guy said: "I've heard six people can stand in that bathroom you have in the nose...is that true?...can I see?"

Quick mental note...Is the bathroom presentable? yep ya can...come on in, but no you can't bring five people with ya to test it....

Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie325i View Post

Jamie
We do the same thing. Love to see all the other setups. We like watching everyone pull in as well. Had a perfect site for that this weekend.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #156

Great thread!

My confession...I name my vehicles. My tow vehicle is Beau (99 4 Runner) and my new Flagstaff A frame is Diddley. There's nothing like heading out on the road with Beau Diddley!

I also confess to not making eye contact with people who walk by my campsite in hopes I can avoid another tour....sorry. Now if you share your Jack or VO, that's another story!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #157
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
We do the same thing. Love to see all the other setups. We like watching everyone pull in as well. Had a perfect site for that this weekend.
I've started morning bike rides and check out people's setups.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #158

OK!!! Confessions:

I once put a v-shaped dent in side of my TV when I was backing the TT onto it's slab at the house. I was trying to avoid a car parked across the street. I found out that I can make a 90 degree turn with the the TV with the TT hooked up.

I once puled out of a site with one of my BAL deluxe chocks still in place. I didn't realize that it happened until I got home and was going to chock the wheels.

As far backing up, take slow small movements of the steering wheel and don't listen to what DW is saying as she doesn't understand that sometimes you have to turn in the opposite direction before you can turn in the correct direction
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #159
MI Camperz

Quote:

I was attacked by a large dog last summer. Missed over 2 mos. Of work, antiobiotics for8 mos., and secondary illness from said antibiotics...but i still love dogs. Not so happy with the owners since i was the 7th victim. Lol..get a clue by say the 5th. Sheesh!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #160

My confession... My husband and I rarely get cross with each other. I can load/unload a boat, jetski, or any other watercraft while he backs the in trailer faster than you can blink. But when I am trying to guide him while backing up the TT it seems like we have two separate languages and I can hardly think of time that we have not ended up crosswise with each other. It is the WORST part of camping! And our TT is only 18'!
sunnygirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote