Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Always Learning

Talking Secret Confessions - completely anonymous

Well, marginally anonymous.

Well, ok - not anonymous at all.

My first: I approach every campground with absolute fear and dread of having to park my rig. When I get backed into the site, I still feel like it was luck rather than skill! More times than not, it's not a complete mess - it actually goes pretty well.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

My first: I approach every campground with absolute fear and dread of having to park my rig. When I get backed into the site, I still feel like it was luck rather than skill! More times than not, it's not a complete mess - it actually goes pretty well.

Sounds like you need to get some cones or something and go to a parking lot and spend a few hrs practicing parking (backing) at all different angles, etc. After you practice a while try a real challenge and try parallel parking the whole rig.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Well, you and my DW would have a complete melt down if she was anywere near you when you attempted to park. She totally comes unhinged if a tree is within 5 feet of the camper. She has white knuckles from the passenger side.
To be honest, I get a little nervous too. I get more nervous with her in my ear. We have "practiced" where she needs to be (in my mirror so that I can see her) to be so many times, but as soon as we pull into the campground, all of that "training" goes out the window.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Resident Masshole

Ha, I hear you there, but that only happens to me when I have to back into my driveway, which is a little steep at the bottom then gets pretty narrow in the middle for about 50' (maybe 8-10" room on each side of the TT...one side is a slope, the other a retaining wall) before it opens back up near the house. The first few times I was only willing to try it from one direction, so I could look out the driver side window and watch the TT tires along the driveway edge.

But that required a 2 mile 'detour' to come into my neighborhood from the right direction. This last time I came in the short way and backed it in using just the mirrors. Only had to re-adjust a 1 or 2 times, but I got it.

(or maybe it was more like 6 or 7 times lol)
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
Well, you and my DW would have a complete melt down if she was anywere near you when you attempted to park. She totally comes unhinged if a tree is within 5 feet of the camper. She has white knuckles from the passenger side.
To be honest, I get a little nervous too. I get more nervous with her in my ear. We have "practiced" where she needs to be (in my mirror so that I can see her) to be so many times, but as soon as we pull into the campground, all of that "training" goes out the window.
Get you a GE baby monitor and 1 extra camera and put one on each side of the camper. Tell DW to close her eyes and HANG ON!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Get you a GE baby monitor and 1 extra camera and put one on each side of the camper. Tell DW to close her eyes and HANG ON!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Always Learning

Ok, so enough about me...

What are YOUR secret and totally anonymous confessions?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #8

We just moved from tents to a pop up last year and before that I had never towed anything before in my life. I was terrified that I would hit something and then that I would be able to back it in. I never hit anything but the first few times backing in seemed to take forever (never did do the practice thing, I figure if anything is going to happen its going to happen out there). Wife an I provided lots of campground entertainment (she has a loud voice and I don't listen very well)

Now we do phones when we back in. Makes for much better communication. I was surprised when we went to a 25 ft. trailer this year it seemed a lot easier. First time out (in the brand new just picked up camper) we seemed to fly right into our spot. Part of the way though she said stop but don't get out. Turns out she had me within an inch of a tree. We made it on it though
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Ok, so enough about me... What are YOUR secret and totally anonymous confessions?
I love Tapioca pudding. Satisfied?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'll confess for my boss.

Last weekend he hooked up to a fresh water fill connection upon entering cg.
He then went inside to pay for 3 nights of camping.......
As the cg owner and the boss are chewing the fat, the cg owner asks him if that's a new water feature on his holiday rambler?
When he turned around he was shocked to see water gushing from the black tank vent and pouring over the side of his holiday rambler mh.

I labeled the fresh water tank fill and black tank flush connections this morning.............

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

I love Tapioca pudding. Satisfied?
Me too !
Crabby.....
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
...I labeled the fresh water tank fill and black tank flush connections this morning...Turbs
That's funny, and the labeling is probably your total output for the week/month.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
B47

Quote:

What's that old saying - " we have nothing to fear but fear itself" comes to mind after reading your last sentence
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Thought ice cream was the best thing in the world until I was 9 years old.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
Hmmm. My DW is sort of soft-spoken. I tell her to stand behind the Motorhome where I can see her and give me directions. Don't know if she's dyslexic or what, but she doesn't do hand signals well. And she'll move from one side to the other - she'll be on the right side when I need left-side, and viceversa. I tell her to shout out directions, but she shouts as if she's in the public library. And don't even suggest 2-way radios! Nevertheless, so far we've not had a backing in incident in 40-years of camping!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
daydreaming about camping

Being a big fan of the lake, and having a nice boat, I feel that anytime we go camping during boating season I am cheating on my boat with my camper.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Being a big fan of the lake, and having a nice boat, I feel that anytime we go camping during boating season I am cheating on my boat with my camper.
I think your fine as long as you don't kiss ur camper ......
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think your fine as long as you don't kiss ur camper ......
kiss it? Hell - I sleep with it!!

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

kiss it? Hell - I sleep with it!!
Kissing it makes it "real"
Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
gonecampin

Smile

Just relax.... I've been driving truck for 20+ years. When you arrive just take a deep breath and do what's natural and park it. Once you learn to relax things go smooth then... Go have a cold one and smile at your accomplishment. You begin to look forward to a new challenge. Good luck!
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote