Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Secureity Forum?

Is there a section about RV Security?

Here's a post I made which I hope adds value.

Damn thieves!! - Forest River Forums

Text below here:

Close call Hondaman

An investment in security devices is money well spent. Many of the security gadgets though are just locks and you end up with a bunch of keys.

We recently invested in an Iris alarm and automation system from Lowes and are very happy with it. The system has dozens of wireless devices that connect to the alarm including small wireless magnetic contact sensor ($15) with an inbuilt battery and also a temperature sensor.

We attached sensors to each outside locker and set the alarm each night so if something is moved or opened, the alarm goes off and we get txt's and emails if we are not home. Love the temperature feature. You can put the alert devices on other things - under a truck tonneau cover, gas tank flap, golf cart ...anything you like within range. There is also a range extender. If the magnetic switch is moved and opened you get an instant alarm (silent or audible) and can have "eyes on" with a wireless video camera.

For a unique twist we installed one on each fridge door, which has a stretch rope around it during travel. If it gets bumpy and rattles open, we get a txt saying so! No more warm beer!

One of the other nice features is a leak detector installed in the bathroom and kitchen floors. If water runs by it alarms you and will immediately turn off the water valve which can be installed.

Lowes have been very innovative in this space and I recommend a look. We invested about $700 all in, for many gadgets; a small price to pay compared to the cost of an RV, and gives great peace of mind.

If you installed the contact switches on your outside toys (and your front connection), you can monitor. Even the BBQ lid! If the cable Internet is disconnected a very reasonable $5 bucks a month allows for cellular backup including sending the camera video.

Lowes have nailed this - they shipped all the stuff to the RV Park and we installed it all in about an hour. Love being able to set the alarm and check the pets from the smartphone. We are going to install a remote thermostat control next and looking for something to automatically turn on our generator if the park power fails so the pets don't cook.

Love it!

10' Idaho Tote Trailer & Bicycles
Street Legal Electric Golf Cart
Inflatable Boat w. 25HP Outboard
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

I'm looking for a security system for my motorhome and have a question for you. Does the Iris system that Lowes sells run on 12v power? If not, how does it work if your RV is parked somewhere without shore power?

Thanks

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skip View Post
I'm looking for a security system for my motorhome and have a question for you. Does the Iris system that Lowes sells run on 12v power? If not, how does it work if your RV is parked somewhere without shore power?

Thanks
Captain Skip

The unit has a plug in transformer adaptor which produces 5.2v DC and 1.5A approx. 8 watts, so an external battery in place of the transformer would keep it going a long time. The unit also has a battery capable of about 2 extra hours. The other devices like key pad are all batteries and last ages.

It's my bet that a 12 volt connection with a 5 volt USB connection would keep it going for a while. Talk to the Lowes support team or someone handy - it should be a no brainer.

Good luck
10' Idaho Tote Trailer & Bicycles
Street Legal Electric Golf Cart
Inflatable Boat w. 25HP Outboard
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

Thanks!

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote