View Poll Results: How security-minded are you when camping?
Lock it down...if it is mine it is mined. 10 14.29%
Keep it open while in site, but not at goodnight. 53 75.71%
Locks are for frustration only. Keys??? What keys??? 7 10.00%
What's mine is yours...let me give you a tour. 3 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
With this being a public forum, and members often posting where they are camping, what they are camping in, and plans of attending something outside campground, it may be wise not to mention what you do and don't lock up. Just a heads up.
That's very true. Good call AquaMan. If anyone wants to go back and edit their posts, go ahead. Nobody here needs to know what compartments you lock or don't lock. Of course maybe we have some people setting a trap. Like open up their compartment they advertise here as unlocked and you reach your hand in only to find a bear trap. For those of you who were bluffing like this, I commend your crime control efforts.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Chairs, grill, sewer hose= no big deal. Changed all locks to one key within a month of having new TT. Lock everything at night, even with dogs outside. For genny, I route 3/4 inch cable thru the wheel vs. back bumper- although I should get the metal handle cover for my Honda 2000.
You just said something that reminded me of our last trip.

You leave your dogs outside at night?

Someone in the camp where we were last weekend did that. Small dog on a cable, thankfully far away from us, left outside at night and barking his head off when I walked Fred (in the dark with a flashlight) before bedtime.

Just not something I'd ever seen before and definitely not something we'd do with Fred. Some opportunist might decide he/she "needs" Fred more than we do!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #23
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
What's the difference between an "opportunist" and a thief?
An opportunist will only steal if it's just sitting there, a thief will put some effort into taking your stuff. A small difference and your stuff is still gone.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #24
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
An opportunist will only steal if it's just sitting there, a thief will put some effort into taking your stuff. A small difference and your stuff is still gone.
You're right about the end result. Sucks to have your stuff disappear regardless of what personality type took it.

But will the opportunist go for the rat poison Oreos...this is something that needs investigated. I'm joking....

At any rate, like I said I normally am extremely cautious but now I'm wondering how much of my worry actually eats into my vacation experience. Like is the keyed locking gas cap worth the time you've lost over the years locking and unlocking it? Who really knows... How about something more time consuming like packing up your grill and chairs every night?

I'm with everyone else and would hate to get anything stolen...but the only thing I've had stolen over the years has been a license plate. I guess I just have to find a balance between secure and insanely secured.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #25

All depends on which camp im at...some just scream lock your stuff....some dont....

I used to build and install high end security systems for auto and home....it was always funny how no matter the expense a person spent for "security" (and usually the more they spent they felt more secure but that was usually not the case)..someone with the ambition and and enough forethought could circumvent most measures with ease.....or brute force. ....or both......

Anyway, I will run a cable to my genny/bike/yeti.....and lock the easy stuff....trailer doors, truck doors....but in the end I always tell my wife..."if they want it bad enough its gone"

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #26

We have two medium sized dogs and they only bark when something is in their area. Once we woke up to their barking cause coyotes came down and were at the edge of our site. Put them on leashes to go for a "walk" and coyotes booked it out of there!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #27
DDC

I have never had anything taken (touch wood) I think campers in general are an honest group, it's hard to believe that the guy who looked out as you backed in would then rob you but I might be naive.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
That's very true. Good call AquaMan. If anyone wants to go back and edit their posts, go ahead. Nobody here needs to know what compartments you lock or don't lock. Of course maybe we have some people setting a trap. Like open up their compartment they advertise here as unlocked and you reach your hand in only to find a bear trap. For those of you who were bluffing like this, I commend your crime control efforts.

Seems only *slightly* paranoid...

Seriously tho, I am pretty sure the local crime syndicate is not monitoring a camping/camper forum looking for easy crime oppurtunities.
If they are tho, I am in #67 at Hickory Creek COE park on Lake Lewisville in TX, come on out and say hi!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-31-2014, 04:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
Leave it all open.... My lil Sasha says "Come on in....if you think you can"
Nice looking boxer.
2013 4WD RAM 3500 Cummins TD SBCC
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #30

Seen a couple of fellows once trying keys at the storage lot, called police and informed manager at the office. Not sure what happened but I have not seen them again. They were also on video, hard for them to deny. Have since changed all locks to include the entry.

PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote