View Poll Results: How security-minded are you when camping?
Lock it down...if it is mine it is mined. 10 14.29%
Keep it open while in site, but not at goodnight. 53 75.71%
Locks are for frustration only. Keys??? What keys??? 7 10.00%
What's mine is yours...let me give you a tour. 3 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #31

Like the rest of life, you have to find a happy balance. I crudely toss the chairs and grill in the basement, it takes a couple of minutes at most. But I know the anger I'd experience the next morning once discovered stolen would outweigh the time it takes to put them up.

Never had an issue camping, in fact I've had neighbors bring stuff by asking if it was mine (Neighbors chairs removed unceremoniously by wind.) so I have no reason to worry. In fact I don't worry really, it's just a habit.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #32

*Chuckles* All this talk of locking storage containers and RV storage facilities reminds me when we were still using one last year (before we had the pad poured at the house).

We were getting ready to go out with our brand new 5er and I went over to the storage lot @ 8:00PM one night to put a few things away. As I was going through the gate another car mooched in behind me before the gate closed.

Well they went to a storage shed and sorta stood around - sketchy behavior if you ask me! I went @ 100 yds to my unit in the covered RV area, went inside and did my business. Left the door open and I could hear them "sneaking up" to the covered area they sounded like a heard of rutting Elk they were making so much noise and "sushhing" each other to be quiet (think there were 2 of them).

Stepped out of the 5er, unholstered and very loudly chambered and said"OH MY, my .40Cal is LOADED now..."

Dead Silence for almost 1 min...

Then the scampering of tennis shoes off in the direction of their car.

This story is NOT intended to open debate about CCW or guns in general so DO NOT start!!

Instead, laugh with me about a good story and 2 young punks who were probably off in a hurry to change their underware

_------_

Follow-up next day: I went to the owner and reported the incident. They reviewed the security cameras and, alas, could not make out the license plate.

Moral: Just because a storage facility boasts security cameras does NOT ensure they are useful

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #33
Infractee

<----- CHL Holder... that is why I invited them to my site... LOL
Old 05-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #34

Lock up what I consider "big ticket" items and yes I do lock up the trailer even if just going for a walk around the campground.

I'd like to think that I make it "harder" for a thief to be a thief!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #35

I keep my TT unlocked when I leave because I have a little dog and if it should catch fire she may have a chance. If some one wants in have at it , things can be replaced.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #36

Good idea weatherl ! I just never leave my dog "Bella" alone on the TT. She goes on the walks with me as well as side trips.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

On the road or in an unfamiliar campground, every door is locked. In a FAMILIAR campground, only the truck and camper door are locked when we go for a walk. When we're in FL, we are in gated campgrounds and just lock the camper door when we leave. What is outside like chairs, coffee pot, tv, grill, etc. gets left out. We do lock the truck and camper door at night.

In over 50 years of camping, we've only lost 3 or 4 cans of Pepsi and the "6-7 year old thieves" were brought to justice by their dad bringing them to our campsite and making them apologize and work off the cost. We became very good friends with the boys and their parents.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
On the road or in an unfamiliar campground, every door is locked. In a FAMILIAR campground, only the truck and camper door are locked when we go for a walk. When we're in FL, we are in gated campgrounds and just lock the camper door when we leave. What is outside like chairs, coffee pot, tv, grill, etc. gets left out. We do lock the truck and camper door at night.

In over 50 years of camping, we've only lost 3 or 4 cans of Pepsi and the "6-7 year old thieves" were brought to justice by their dad bringing them to our campsite and making them apologize and work off the cost. We became very good friends with the boys and their parents.
OC I am glad to hear that in 50 years of camping that is all the trouble with "thieves" you have had. Sadly, we tend to leave everything unlocked. Even our house and shop.

I think that most of the people camping are good, honest, hardworking folk who would give you the shirt off of their back. I doubt most thieves do family friendly things like camping. Not saying they aren't there or there isn't a risk but there is usually campers in the neighboring sites and I usually feel more protected than threatened.
But that may be just my sunny disposition!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

sunnygirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #39
Site Team

Location, location, location. Depends on where we are.

from David's RAZR M
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

OC was that 6-7 year old boy turbs?? Is that why you talk so highly of him?