Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #21

We have used a Tadi Bros unit for two years with great success. Paid $200 for system at Hershey PA show and installed at campground. Neverevenbothered to install mirror extensions again ! Never a signal problem. Used Scotch velcro stick on mounts for the transmitter unit. Highly reccomend.

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #22

Back up/rear view wireless camera and monitor

I installed an inexpensive, ( under $100 ) Peak antifreeze brand backup camera, purchased at Menards, on our 2012 Dutchman Kodiak TT. Using an $8, 25 foot camera extension wire, I located the transmitter under the propane tanks cover. I wired it to an on/off switch connected to the battery so it could always be switched on whil towing.
IT WORKED FABULOUSLY!
So well, in fact, that I purchased another one for our new Rockwood Mini Lite 2304. We are now on the first leg of our inaugural trip to Arkansas and, again, this device works superbly.
At least during the day. We haven't driven at night with the Rockwood, but I know it was less than perfect for night driving in the Kodiak.
On the Kodiak, and the 2304 I have installed l e d fog lights on my rear bumper which can be switched on at night for easy backing into camp sites. And my driveway.
Basically, I'm saying that you DO NOT have to spend a lot of money for a decent rear view camera and monitor.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #23

I just wag the tail a little and I can see of anyone is behind me. I tried a camera mounted on the rear of old fiver and just didn't help any. If I need to change lanes signal on, check mirrors and move when clear. If someone is on my six that's not my problem.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #24

It seems like a few of us are being a bit cavalier about irresponsable drivers around us. There are a lot of Le Mans wannabes out there that loath anything moving down the road at less that 10 miles over the speed limit. Particularly if is a big box in their way. They have no clue that they are propelling a 2-ton missile of death. Folks, it is my problem if I become involved in an accident when I could have let the fool get past and kill himself /herself farther down the road. My gun may be bigger than his/her gun, but he/she is more agile and has the devil on their shoulder.

So what do I do? Everything I can to see what is going on all 360 degrees, blind spots included. It is that extra edge of safety and knowing I have done everything I can to keep the most precious cargo sitting next to me safe.

If you ever have doubts about rear view monitoring systems, take a ride through Atlanta (or any large metropolitan area). There are multiple lanes, on ramps. off ramps and required lane changes in short distances and, of course, road construction and accidents. You put on a turn signal to change lanes and the vehicle in your blind spot decides to change lanes and come around you anyway. This beehive of activity is changing by the fraction of a second. That extra eye is imperative.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #25

Don't remember ever hearing that someone behind you being referred to as "in ones blind spot".
Old 03-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #26

I tried a wireless camera - resolution was not great, frequent dropouts and interference from other radio frequencies when traveling.

I then bought an inexpensive camera, mounted it on my spare tire cover, wired power to the camera from a 12v running light on the back of the TT. Then ran a long thin video cable to the back of my TV which connects to a Garmin 7" GPS screen on the dash.

No interference, video is in color, very clear, and power to the camera is controlled by turning the TT running lights on or off.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't remember ever hearing that someone behind you being referred to as "in ones blind spot".
So goes the saying with the truckers, If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you

Safety Decal: If You Can't See my Mirrors, I Can't See You

The Wikipedia definition pretty well covers it all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_spot_(vehicle)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #28

[QUOTE=PenJoe;1127027]It seems like a few of us are being a bit cavalier about irresponsable drivers around us. There are a lot of Le Mans wannabes out there that loath anything moving down the road at less that 10 miles over the speed limit. Particularly if is a big box in their way. They have no clue that they are propelling a 2-ton missile of death. Folks, it is my problem if I become involved in an accident when I could have let the fool get past and kill himself /herself farther down the road. My gun may be bigger than his/her gun, but he/she is more agile and has the devil on their shoulder.

So what do I do? Everything I can to see what is going on all 360 degrees, blind spots included. It is that extra edge of safety and knowing I have done everything I can to keep the most precious cargo sitting next to me safe.

If you ever have doubts about rear view monitoring systems, take a ride through Atlanta (or any large metropolitan area). There are multiple lanes, on ramps. off ramps and required lane changes in short distances and, of course, road construction and accidents. You put on a turn signal to change lanes and the vehicle in your blind spot decides to change lanes and come around you anyway. This beehive of activity is changing by the fraction of a second. That extra eye is imperative

I have pulled through Atlanta several times. If I have my signal on and you whop around me I'm going to run you off the road, sorry. I ran a Chrysler 300C into construction barrels on I20 E in Atlanta when he tried to go around me and that lane was ending. I never stopped.

I've ran an Atlanta PD off the road on I85 when I was trying to merge over to exit. He came off another exit and again tried to whip around me to get the same exit as I was going onto. He caught up to me a mile or so and waved at me and kept going.

Big city or back roads I'm taking my rights and will do the legal moves to get where going.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
OK "Bumper Humper"! Youroo!!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlcaly View Post
We have used a Tadi Bros unit for two years with great success. Paid $200 for system at Hershey PA show and installed at campground. Neverevenbothered to install mirror extensions again ! Never a signal problem. Used Scotch velcro stick on mounts for the transmitter unit. Highly reccomend.
Mi & Ky.require "Towing Mirrors" you may want to "reinstall in these States"! Youroo!!

Tags
towing