Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
Retired

Seeing traffic behind TT when towing?

I'm looking for a wireless backup camera system...not so much for backing up but to be able to see traffic behind you when changing lanes, etc. When reading the Threads about wireless backup camera systems it seems like Furrion and Rear View Safty are mentioned frequently. I was encouraged to look at Tadibrothers 7 Inch Monitor with Wireless Mounted RV Backup Camera. Has anyone had experience with Tadibrothers?
Any inputs would be appreciated.
Looking forward to the up-coming end of hibernation season!

Happy Trails
Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Team

I've looked at many different ones. I'm tempted to try the TadiBrothers built-in wireless 2-camera unit. I talked to them and they said it would work thru my aluminum sided RV.

If you buy one, let me know what it is and how it works, and I'll do the same.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

That is what Mirrows are made for
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Mirrors won't tell you if somebody's barreling up behind you fixing to whip out and pass you.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Retired

Name:   thumb.php.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  8.2 KB
Maybe the reason for rear view camera systems is self event. How many times have you had a vehicle on your 6 and not been aware or observed vehicles behind a tractor trailer within the no see zone.
Just an observation.
Happy Trails
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

It's all them NASCAR fans. They think they gotta draft any vehicle in front of them!

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
It's all them NASCAR fans. They think they gotta draft any vehicle in front of them!
Sad but true!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
Site Team

I just ordered the TadiBrothers SKU90123. I should have it in a few days and I'll report how it goes.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #9

I have a TadiBrothers wireless system. I used it that way for a while but did eventually hook a video cable between the camera and monitor. Just too much stuff on 2.4 to get a clean signal.
dmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeyer View Post
Just too much stuff on 2.4 to get a clean signal.
I agree with this. 2.4 can only carry so much signal. Plus, if I am going to have to look at a small (7 inch) screen on my dash, then I would like it to be as clear as possible. That means not only the signal has to be clean, but the camera itself has to be hi-res. The more pixels the better, and the better lens on the camera, the better.
Fisheye lenses, like you see on GoPros, are OK, but they do distort the picture somewhat.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #11

Back Up camera

Mirrors will tell you more than that back up camera when switching lanes. Those cameras don't show you very long distances that is not what their for. Put on blinkers check both sides then make your move while looking at the mirror side your moving to. I have had three different cameras on different RV's so I do have experience as a lot of people on here do as well.
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
Senior New Member

Seeing traffic behind TT

I bought the Garmin RV 760 GPS and use the matching wireless camera (although with a 32 ft 5th wheel I added an extension cable so the transmitter could be mounted on the front of the trailer.) The image resolution is not clear enough to display their front license plate but will certainly give you enough warning to draw your weapon (JK !)
ausstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #13

We have a tadibrothers system. I have no problem getting a crystal clear picture with the wireless set up. But we don't use it for anything other than a rear view mirror. When I am driving without a trailer behind, I use my rear view often, because I want to know what is happening behind me. This just becomes my rear view mirror and it works great for that. As far as depth perception and things like that, I wouldn't try to use it for those purposes, but I don't have anything negative to say about it, or tadibrothers.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #14

You are countering yourself when asking about the Tadibrothers wireless back up camera. For what you are suggesting, you are looking for a rear view observation camera. RVC and Furrion make both. A back up system works only in reverse if installed according to directions. The rear observation camera can view the rear while going forward or in reverse and acts as a rear view mirror behind the trailer. My strong recommendation is to go with the observation system for TT use.

For the TV, we use a back up camera. For the trailer, we use a rear observation camera. Our trailer camera is a hard wired RVC system and has a 120 degree cone of vision. For lane changes, the same rule applies to the camera monitor as applies to the rear view mirror of a vehicle (without a trailer). If you can see, on the monitor, the full front of the vehicle in the adjoining lane, it is safe to change lanes. This makes lane changes ever so much easier. It also eliminates a very big blind spot at the rear of the TT.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #15

I bought a wired camera for the back of my TT. I read to many reports of poor signal and interference problems with wireless. I like the camera for knowing when I can pull back in from passing also I can see the guy sitting five feet off my bumper in a Not So Smart car trying to get to heaven using as little gas as possible. One little problem you have to consider with a trailer is how you will connect and disconnect. You could buy an extra cable to route through the truck or do like I do and run the cable from the trailer under the truck cap to the window. Just don't forget to unplug it before you drive away from the trailer. So far that hasn't been a problem.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #16

I went originally with the Tadi Brothers wireless setup with their 7 inch monitor. When I went to Best Buy to have them install everything they suggested hardwiring to avoid possible interference. Price was the same either way.

I went with the hardwire and love the clarity, etc. I am a single camper with a Propride hitch. I have the HD camera above my license plate. Really helps aligning the stinger in the hitch.

I also have a HD camera mounted about 8 ft above ground level on the back of the trailer.

The unit is wired independently, not connected to reverse/backup lights. I can turn on/off when I want to.

I leave the rear camera on while I'm driving. I can see anyone who speeds up and gets in my mirror blindspot. Really a bonus.

Two problems. One, even though I have a shade on the rear camera, when I was traveling in the rain, water droplets would get on the screen. My second problem was because the rear camera was a wide angle, distant vehicles beyond about 75 ft were next to impossible to see.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

I feel I have enough to do without worrying about some a-hole behind me. I have a bumper sticker on the back of my TT that reads: If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Lite Fun View Post
I bought a wired camera for the back of my TT. I read to many reports of poor signal and interference problems with wireless. I like the camera for knowing when I can pull back in from passing also I can see the guy sitting five feet off my bumper in a Not So Smart car trying to get to heaven using as little gas as possible. One little problem you have to consider with a trailer is how you will connect and disconnect. You could buy an extra cable to route through the truck or do like I do and run the cable from the trailer under the truck cap to the window. Just don't forget to unplug it before you drive away from the trailer. So far that hasn't been a problem.
The Rear View Camera system has a complete pre-wired kit that addresses your problem.The power and video feed comes from the monitor via a 5-pin cable to a 5-pin din waterprrof screw-on connector at the rear of the TV. Another coiled cable with 5-pin connectors at each end bridges the TV to the trailer. A permanently mounted connector mounts in the hitch area and the connecting cable extends to the camera mounted at the rear. You can completely remove the middle cable when not in use. The 5-pin cabling gives a video/audio feed only from the camera to the monitor.My self install has been flawless for 3 years. Warning, RVC systems have proprietary wiring configurations. They may not interchange with other video products without adapters. RVC tech support is great at helping you through any issues and have some converting cables.

Note the picture of the TV connection at the hitch. The black mounting plate is a modified 2" receiver cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3103764.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	101553   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3103767.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	101554   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3103768.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	101555  
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #19

I had a Class A with a camera. Did not help as it distorts distance. I now have a 5th wheel with tow mirrors. No problems. When I want to change lanes I can see everything. If someone comes barreling up behind me, that's their problem, not mine. I usually drive in the slow lane as I am retired and in no hurry. I drive 300 miles or 6 hours per day, whichever comes first. Save your money, drive in the slow lane, relax and enjoy your retirement.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #20

Smile Seeing behind TT

Hi guys i have posted this several times, I purchased a Tadibrothers monitor and wireless camera system. Have been using it for 6 months now, no static perfect clear video. I suggest you call and ask for Eddie as he really knows all sysyems and can configure to your exact needs. As for mine i have a 33ft TT now im wireless from truck camera to rear of TT. Eddie recommended antenna distance extensions which it has. Now i can run down the road at 60mph, over RR track crossings and there is no such distortions or static. So i can't understand other posts talking about not being clear, thats why I recommend talking to Eddie as he will set you up with the right gear. This is what i bought Sku#123527 $399.99. Now it comes with a 7inch wireless color monitor, license plate mount camera which i mounted on the roof cap of my bed topper, and the other camera on the back of the TT. And he recommended the TT camera to use the range extender antenna. Now understand this whole system is complete wireless. Monitor and cameras only need a constant 12 v connection to view each camera. As for me the best option quality i could finf. Highly recommend.
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing