Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Self Adjusting Brakes - PLEASE HELP

Hi. I'm looking for opinions if someone has a few moments please.

I took my new Cruise Lite out for the very first time and someone behind me flagged me down. He said he could smell my brakes. I checked and couldn't touch the brake drums because they were so hot. I had 10 min to my destination so I continued on then called the dealer where I got my trailer and he sent a mechanic.
The mechanic cut the self-adjusting hardware off and put the tires back on. One he couldn't get off so I towed it to their shop and he said he replaced the bearing and the brake shoes on the one wheel.

Should I be concerned that he cut stuff off my brand new trailer? I suggested that there is probably premature wear on the brakes now he said well you have to do your brakes in the fall anyway. Well I shouldn't have to do brakes already.

I contacted the dealer owner and asked him if I should contact Forest River about my concern of premature wear. He said do what you want. That was it.

What should I do?
Cullihall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Obviously the mechanic cutting off your self adjuster hardware voided any warranty. I love my forward adjusting brakes (so far).

Why they were "over tight" to start with is the question.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
DDC

I think you should contact F R this should not have happened and is not normal.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Obviously the mechanic cutting off your self adjuster hardware voided any warranty. I love my forward adjusting brakes (so far).

Why they were "over tight" to start with is the question.

X2 Ours worked super. Just had them installed at the Goshen Rally like Herk did. I really like them and if they are put on right I see no reason for them to be to tight or lock up.
Cullihall, I hope you get yours squared away.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. I'm going to contact Forest River. I'll post what I learn.
Cullihall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

"Should I be concerned that he cut stuff off my brand new trailer?"
YES!!
Contact FR and tell them/ show them with pics what he did. You have a work order or receipt - I hope.
My TT has self adjusting brakes and they work very well.
When I pulled the hubs apart on mine, I purposefully set the adjusters really loosely. On the first pull the brakes worked great on the first application. They set themselves and I never had hot hubs during normal driving.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes