Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:11 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfloyd View Post
Most people in Texas that hold a CHL are very responsible. They teach there family members about gun safety .

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Yes....because we value our right to keep and bear arms....and to the protection our constitutional rights afford us while at home ...be it on cheap china bomb tires in the woods, or on my fiberglass laced concrete foundation.......i have NEVER met an irresponible chl holder.... i for one use biometric finger print handgun safes for quick access and have a LARGE 52 gun safe for the rest.....?...biometric case in the trailer too..its texas....not the wild west?..heck i dont even own a horse or 10 gallon hat! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #62

And camping related, last year we took trailers out to friends land to ride quads n razrs.....I got stuck and had to dismount....found myself in a situation with a feral hog who was none to happy....I dont know what the rest of you know bout feral hogs but he chased my a $$ back to the razr ...5 shots of .223 before he went down as I was hiding like a scared kid on the roof.....I dont always camp where there is a host and a pool......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #63

Glock 23 for me and Ruger 38LCR for the DW and we both have CCW. We are hoping to go full time in about a year. What the heck would we do if we entered a state like New York?

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I live in Texas.....
I understand...same here
GaryanJane is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #65

The only time that I felt at risk was a couple of years ago, out west, desolate highway with our coach and two other cars for a long stretch. They would both follow for a while, then one would pull in front, slow down, and then the other would pull in front for a while until they were going so slow that I would need to pass. Maybe it was nothing, but I just got the feeling that if these cars covered both lanes and stopped, I would be trapped. Fortunately, there was enough occasional oncoming traffic to have thwarted any would be plan. That is when I started thinking that some type of protective weapon would be useful. Without it, I had no other way of protecting my family. Totally agree with others about situational awareness. And I agree that it is better to avoid than force confrontation. But if the need arises, I think it's best to have a backup. CCW seems to be a safe and legal way to have protection.
gasman94 is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #66

CCDW is my preference. I feel safe at most campgrounds. It's traveling and in unfamiliar territory where I feel most at risk. Fuel stops and rest stops in particular. My law enforcement buddies tell me the drug problem is rampant and we are surrounded by users and dealers in the general public on a daily basis. I unwittingly walked up on drug deal while walking my dogs in a local park. Like most stated. . Be aware of your surroundings and think defensive. Be safe and have fun
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Glock 23 for me and Ruger 38LCR for the DW and we both have CCW. We are hoping to go full time in about a year. What the heck would we do if we entered a state like New York?
Don't go. Spend your hard earned money somewhere else.
whitmw is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #68
Mod free 5er

Bottom line folks, when the man upstairs pulls your number, it doesn't matter how many weapons or how many you take with you, the party is over.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #69

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
Amen neighbor! I tend to stick to the states with recipricol agreements. The others..im just pass in through...don't ask dont tell.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
The only time that I felt at risk was a couple of years ago, out west, desolate highway with our coach and two other cars for a long stretch. They would both follow for a while, then one would pull in front, slow down, and then the other would pull in front for a while until they were going so slow that I would need to pass. Maybe it was nothing, but I just got the feeling that if these cars covered both lanes and stopped, I would be trapped. Fortunately, there was enough occasional oncoming traffic to have thwarted any would be plan. That is when I started thinking that some type of protective weapon would be useful. Without it, I had no other way of protecting my family. Totally agree with others about situational awareness. And I agree that it is better to avoid than force confrontation. But if the need arises, I think it's best to have a backup. CCW seems to be a safe and legal way to have protection.

I've had a situation like that when I was driving back from Toronto one night. Didn't have the truck/trailer then, just my little Saturn. Some kids who were being stupid, riding right on my bumper with highbeams on, but if I let them pass they'd slow right down to like 40% of the speed limit, then when I passed would be right up on my bumper again. I just set the cruse, turned the review mirror so I couldn't see them and ignored them on my rear.

If I had the truck, I wouldn't have been so worried. No way some little car's gonna be able to stop the momentum of a 5000 lb truck, especially if I had the 6000 lb trailer on the back.

Quote:
I can't answer for state to state, but I can tell you don't cross into Canada with it. Being near the busiest land crossing between us, I see stories in the news once or twice a year of people (last one was a retired RV couple) facing jail time for showing up at the border while carrying and forgetting to declare it.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
Ha! Ha! Good answer. I know I haven't left anything there!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #72
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My thoughts, DW n I both are ccw. She does not carry daily, nor often,however, I thought it would be wise for her to be card holder too,for this reason. When camping , or spending time together anywhere, if my weapon is in the vehicle,and she needed to get. "ice-cream", got pulled over ,or even worse , in an accident, she could be in large trouble.
Also, I have read in this thread, never had the need , glad to hear it. But what if??
Something to consider,when thinking ccw, as I said if the weapon is in the vehicle.... ccw concealed CARRY , meaning intended to be on yr person, when not on you're person, ALWAYS be a responsible citizen. Lock it up, we are responsible for our weapon, at all times,
I do agree, that when camping at state,national, or privately owned facility,,99.9% of the time, there is no need,b safe, and have fun, and whenever possible , look out for each other !! When the good stand together, the bad have no chance!!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #73

I do agree, that when camping at state,national, or privately owned facility,,99.9% of the time, there is no need,b safe, and have fun, and whenever possible , look out for each other !! When the good stand together, the bad have no chance!![/QUOTE]

Amen.....
gasman94 is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #74
NELA

Quote:

For us it's really simple; We don't.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #75
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
My thoughts, DW n I both are ccw. She does not carry daily, nor often,however, I thought it would be wise for her to be card holder too,for this reason. When camping , or spending time together anywhere, if my weapon is in the vehicle,and she needed to get. "ice-cream", got pulled over ,or even worse , in an accident, she could be in large trouble.
Also, I have read in this thread, never had the need , glad to hear it. But what if??
Something to consider,when thinking ccw, as I said if the weapon is in the vehicle.... ccw concealed CARRY , meaning intended to be on yr person, when not on you're person, ALWAYS be a responsible citizen. Lock it up, we are responsible for our weapon, at all times,
I do agree, that when camping at state,national, or privately owned facility,,99.9% of the time, there is no need,b safe, and have fun, and whenever possible , look out for each other !! When the good stand together, the bad have no chance!!
RB,

Here in Louisiana a person's vehicle is considered an extension of their home. We don't have to keep a PPD on our person while in our vehicles. It can be concealed in the vehicle also. Just make sure you declare immediately it if pulled over by LEAs.

I'm not sure that extends to a TT or 5er while traveling here inside LA. We need to check on that.

What do you do if you stop at a bank?

Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #76
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post

While it's true that most commercial camp sites are, for the most part, secure, what about when you stop at rest areas while traveling in your RV, especially at night?

Florida has armed security guards at their rest stops on the interstate, *because* of horrific things that have happened at those rest stops including attacks that resulted in fatalities.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #77

I primarily travel alone since the DW cannot travel so it is reassuring to always have an equalizer (legal CCW) when traveling at night, or for that matter when camping alone.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #78

We never had a problem in the almost thirty some years camping, alot of our camping in between these two wonderrful cities [Flint and Detroit among the top 5 in crime rates]. we have grandkids running in and out of the TT, would be more afraid of them finding a gun in the trailer and playiong with it, irregrdless if it had a gun lock.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #79
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
RB,

Here in Louisiana a person's vehicle is considered an extension of their home. We don't have to keep a PPD on our person while in our vehicles. It can be concealed in the vehicle also. Just make sure you declare immediately it if pulled over by LEAs.

I'm not sure that extends to a TT or 5er while traveling here inside LA. We need to check on that.

What do you do if you stop at a bank?

Wezzer, to my understanding the law here is the same,it can be stored in the vehicle, and no longer is required to be locked. However I personally, am constantly concerned of a scenario with a kid or thief , breaking into the vehicle,to take a gps,stereo,or even loose change, gets a surprise, to be used improperly. And I would feel responsible for its use. So my point was to keep it with you,whenever possible.
About the bank,there even signs at the drive through......which I ignore!

Point of reference, all national park buildings,stores, gas stations,gift shops,and the like, are considered federal buildings. No carry. Also check any state buildings in parks in you're travel routes!

Happy Camping !!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #80

Quote:
If you have any contact with any law enforcement you will be arrested if you have any fire arm on your person or in your vehicle (or any 'illegal' component of a firearm). From running your drivers license information they will find out that you and your wife have a CCW and this will give them probable cause to search (tear apart) your vehicle. Do not resist them and be very polite.

New York has among the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. New York's restrictive laws also apply to other items regarded as deadly weapons, such as certain knives, clubs, throwing stars, chemical sprays, explosives, and stun guns. The combined non-refundable fees required to apply for a New York City concealed carry permit average around $5,000, with no guarantee the applicant will actually be issued a permit. New York does not honor any other states Permit/License

Hence, all of the good advice of staying out of NY if you wish to keep your Liberty and safety of carrying a fire arm or a can of deadly wasp spray.

Sorry if this post looks a little over the top for the tread, but know each states laws in Every aspect (not just fire arms) before you go into them and prepare as such and you will have a much better time camping.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply
Closed Thread