Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #1

Selling my camper, can anyone tell me what a good price would be?

We've decided to sell our travel trailer. We aren't using it enough, maybe only once or twice a year, and I don't want to see it rot away and be worth nothing in a few years. I'd rather get the money out of it and use it for something else fun.

Its a 2007 Surveyor 235

Last year I fixed some moisture issues, the floor was wet due to a leaking door seal. I fixed the area directly in front of the door that was rotten, and I removed the linoleum and ran a dehumidifier for a few weeks to draw out any moisture. I then glued and screwed down an additional layer of 1/4 plywood, and installed carpet tiles over top of that.

I've done a lot of extra stuff, including installing a bluetooth stereo

And I installed a 25db directional wifi antenna on the roof that you can aim using the TV antenna mast, for getting better wifi when at a park that has it.

It has a slide out rear queen bed.

I just installed a new awning on it last year, the old one had some tears.

Tires and wheel hubs are in excellent shape. Roof is good. In fact, I don't know of any actual issues with the camper. Like I said, I just hate to see it not used and it sit and rot in my backyard.

I'm not really sure what price to list it for. I was hoping you guys could suggest what I should start the listing at?

Thanks!
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #2

Im no expert, but based on what you describe 6 or 7k.. probably closer to 6.

That water damage is going to be a big detractor.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
We've decided to sell our travel trailer. We aren't using it enough, maybe only once or twice a year, and I don't want to see it rot away and be worth nothing in a few years. I'd rather get the money out of it and use it for something else fun.

Its a 2007 Surveyor 235

Last year I fixed some moisture issues, the floor was wet due to a leaking door seal. I fixed the area directly in front of the door that was rotten, and I removed the linoleum and ran a dehumidifier for a few weeks to draw out any moisture. I then glued and screwed down an additional layer of 1/4 plywood, and installed carpet tiles over top of that.

I've done a lot of extra stuff, including installing a bluetooth stereo

And I installed a 25db directional wifi antenna on the roof that you can aim using the TV antenna mast, for getting better wifi when at a park that has it.

It has a slide out rear queen bed.

I just installed a new awning on it last year, the old one had some tears.

Tires and wheel hubs are in excellent shape. Roof is good. In fact, I don't know of any actual issues with the camper. Like I said, I just hate to see it not used and it sit and rot in my backyard.

I'm not really sure what price to list it for. I was hoping you guys could suggest what I should start the listing at?

Thanks!
go to NADA RV.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
go to NADA RV.
Or RV Trader
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

I wouldn't say anything about the water damage if it's fixed, unless they ask, yes NADA.com
Old 08-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

You can use NADA as a reference, but not a bible. When we sold our Sunseeker, it was truly a benefit. We used the information. Yesterday, our son sold a sailboat. The NADA figures were way off and came up during the sale. He was able to counter the argument with other docs. He sold the boat for more than a thousand higher than NADA. We had occasion to sell a power boat more than $5,000 over NADA.

I did a cursory check on your unit. NADA could work in your favor. When doing this, check off virtually every item that is appropriate, including AC size, fridge size, awnings and sizes, etc. What is noteworthy is that base price is basically set on the shell and walls. All appliances are considered ad-ons. It took me a while to figure that out.

Also check websites to see what equivalent size and age units are selling for. Even a few years newer if the camper is in excellent condition. The research you do up front is invaluable.

Once the research is done and the camper is detailed to a T, post it on craigslist. Write a very detailed description-the more detailed, the better. Buyers will actually read/reread an ad that is interesting. One line or one paragraph doesn't cut it. If it is non-smoking and no pets, be sure to include that info. Make them feel like they are at home in it. It does work and it is worth the effort. I have been told numerous times that the prospective buyer knows every detail I have included. On the motor home, it equated to two full pages typewritten pages. The buyers stated that they had digested all of it and could quote details as we spoke.

Price the unit a few hundred over your expected final price. People like to negotiate and you may get surprised and get full asking price. Pricing too low and people wonder why. NEVER use OBO (or best offer). It opens the door for a low ball and buyers feel they can get it for a lot less (25% or more). Or, what's wrong with it?. You have a valid reason for selling-you don't use it.

Take a lot of pictures. I believe craigslist allows 24-25. Post the more unusual picture because it gets more attention. A side or 3/4 view of a camper is just like all the other ads. Be different. Maybe a picture of awning out, bays open or set up to camp with no people in the picture. When you write the ad, try to follow your picture sequence. Having done the water damage repairs, there should be no need to bring it up. Full disclosure is not required. Even when selling a stix and bricks, a repair done correctly does not have to be disclosed.

We live in a quasi rural area surrounded by 4 craigslist metro areas. I choose to post in the smallest of those metro areas. Why? Less competitions and a strong buyers market. And, the ad is also on line in the other three areas. It is a win/win.

On Friday at the end of each week, I delete the ad (unless I have a very interested party). Once the ad is deleted, craigslist gives 3 options: 1, the ad is deleted (you don't want to do that): 2. Update this posting (gets reposted as the original and any changes made): 3, Repost. This option will post a completely new ad with no history. All you have to do is click through edit the written, location, and pictures. Click, click, click and it comes up Unpublished Draft. Click and the completely new ad is posted-at the top. That is one thing that really works. I went through this with our son. He deleted, reposted, and the buyer made contact. Two weeks to sell a sailboat, the buyer coming from across the state. I can not tell you how many times this has worked on big and small items.

Be in control. You have a good product. Don't be afraid to say (on a low-ball), "We appreciate your offer, but we have done the research and know the value." Show them the docs to prove it. If they walk, so be it. But if they are truly interested, they will try to deal then or they will get back. On the powerboat sale, we had that happen. The couple did walk. The following day, we had a buyer come completely across Florida twice. Once to make the deal and once to bring the cash. The party that walked called while I was in the process of writing the receipt. We advised that we had a buyer here with a deposit. The couple then told us that they were willing to top the buyer's price. Sorry folks, we made the deal.

We have sold boats, slide-in campers, a motor home and other items solely advertising on craigslist. It works. And, the price is right-it's free!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandem54 View Post
I wouldn't say anything about the water damage if it's fixed, unless they ask, yes NADA.com
Full disclosure . not required but you don't know if it's fixed or fixed correctly , buyer beware and look very close at what your buying as many people will hide known issues . i think the op is doing the correct thing in disclosing the issues he had and what he did, let the buyer inspect it with full knowledge of the unit history
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Yesterday, our son sold a sailboat.

We have sold boats, slide-in campers, a motor home and other items solely advertising on craigslist. It works. And, the price is right-it's free!

We sold a sailboat on CL but it took awhile due to the fact that it was a racing skiff. To our surprise, an older couple like ourselves drove all the way from Utah (we're in So Cal) to buy it! Apparently they were looking for that exact sailboat!

I've sold other boats on CL, but I try to be honest on the phone on the initial contact, but run into the CL flakes! The ones that do come and look at the boats tell me that wasn't what they were looking for after I told that exact thing to them on the phone!

Oh, good luck selling the rig.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #9

Research others of the same model and then subtract 10% and add $200 so you can have a "bargaining" drop and then figure the time of year into your decision. Not so easy.
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #10

I've had good/better luck selling on Facebook Marketplace.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #11

Key to selling anything is price it right. I sold a jet ski on Craigslist the other day in 3 hours. I have friends that have had stuff out there for months and can't figure out why it won't sell, price, price, price. And when posting on Craigslist I always include the disclaimer "If you're interested, respond to the ad with a local phone number where I can contact you back". Anyone that responds without a local phone number doesn't get a reply as they're typically scammers or phishing for email addresses.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #12

Also, check Craig's list for "WANTED" items. We had a small popup camper for 4 years, I was ready for a little bigger more solid camper and settled on an aframe, even had it picked out. Hubby wasn't yet 100% on the ball with the idea but did like the price and interior of the aframe. So he told me I had to sell the popup myself. We settled on a price (which means his price) I dug up photos so I wouldn't have to set it up and take some, was all set to list it on CL and then decided to see if anyone was looking for one... taadaa... someone was, described pretty much what we had and what they were hoping to keep the price at (higher than my listing so yayy!!) emailed her pics and had it sold within hours that same day for more than hubby had wanted to ask for it. You'd think a husband would know better than to challenge his wife when she wants something that badly, lol.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
You'd think a husband would know better than to challenge his wife when she wants something that badly, lol.
I thought my DW was an only child.... Are you a long lost sister?

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #14
RV There Yet?

when we traded in our popup for our current camper, we used NADA as a starting guide. it gives you an idea of where to start. we also looked at just about every used camper site to price it. we found very few that were our exact model and features for sale. knew the dealer needed a profit margin, and priced accordingly going into negotiations. they wanted to lowball us and double their money. we stuck to our guns and told them if they could find one selling in the price they were offering us, we would take it. in the end they came up over $2K on the trade in.

check the used camper sites, see what it is going for and price accordingly. also see what similar models are going for. we thought we wanted an exact model and stumbled across our current one and could not be happier.

we also made the dealer aware of any unusual wear and tear and or damage as well as any upgrades as that does affect your pricing and gives your price validity.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakmeat123 View Post
Research others of the same model and then subtract 10% and add $200 so you can have a "bargaining" drop and then figure the time of year into your decision. Not so easy.
Not quite sure what the reasoning is for being 10% below anyone else. As a buyer, the questions I would be asking is: What's wrong with it? Are you forced to sell? Is this another way to say OBO?

If you are priced 10% too high, the buyer will still call. Case in point, we sold our MH within a week pricing it very high, we sold a power boat, in about 2 weeks, well over 10% of NADA; and our our son sold his sailboat in the last few days $1,300 over NADA in a little more than a week. Virtually all of these buyers were happy with the deal. There are others, but I would suggest it's a pretty indication that one need not beg for a buyer.

One important aspect often overlooked when doing the initial research to determine a selling price is, how much is the new equivalent of what you are offering? Example: we bought a new Lance slide-in camper, lived in it for six months and stored it for 2.5 years. We kept the Lance in pristine condition. When we decided to sell, I checked the price of an identical new Lance and was amazed at the price increase over those years. We advertised it just above what we payed for it 3 years prior. Within 2 weeks, a couple drove over a hundred miles one way to look at it. They took their shoes off to go inside. They became the new owners. Both the buyers and we, the sellers, were happy.

What we have learned is that patience is a virtue. We would prefer that we not get a multitude of phone calls. As I tell DW, it only takes one good phone call.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #16

Yeah...NADA can be way off. The boat I bought years ago had a NADA value of $29K and I bought it for $21K. At least for boats, NADA is on the high side where we live.

For our trailer, NADA has it at $4K more for it's low retail than what we paid for it new.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #17

I would disclose any damage, water or otherwise. I would want to know if I were the buyer.
We listed our trailer on craigslist just as a see if we could sell but wasn't really expecting it to sell. A hybrid appeals to a select group. When I posted the ad I disclosed there was some delamination due to a water leak and that it had been repaired. I added pics and listed all the things done to it as well as maintenance. Lo and behold less than 2 weeks later we got a call. The couple came to look at it and again I pointed out the delamination. They were OK with it. The trailer was in very good shape otherwise even at 11 years old. The dealer was giving us very little for a trade so I used craigslist to price ours. I added several hundred dollars more than I wanted. Sold it for $300 less than I posted. I got a fair price, the couple got a fair price and I was upfront with them. I even threw in some extras.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #18
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandem54 View Post

If I was looking to purchase used (which I never do), I would ask why carpeting - and the answer should be exactly why you put down carpeting.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper