Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
If your toilet is not holding water the smell could be coming from there. Also some Dometic 300 toilets had a defect that allowed oder from the black tank. I think Dometic warrantied them.
Peddle ball has to be tight against the black gasket in the toilet or the black tank gases rise out .
Old 08-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #22

Always run about an inch of water in the toilet after flushing, and you shouldn’t have to worry about odors escaping past the seal.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #23

Does your coach have washer prep?

If so check that it is sealed many are straight piped to the drain line and if not used regularly allow sewer gas right into coach as the machine (if you even have one) drain line just rests in the hole.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #24

experience with holding tanks

I wanted to share my experiences. I have had this problem in the past and after discussing this with several different experts in the field it boils down to understanding the system. The venting of Rv tanks is challenged by design and is passed to us. Most often this problem is most prevalent when the heat is up. So this is what I have done to fix my problem.
1.) Use a high content bacteria and enzymes product. I choose to use Unique Marine and Rv products. Also, bacteria get lazy in high heat conditions so it may be necessary to dump more often.
2.) In high heat use a odor controller like odorless that can be purchased at Camping World. Most importantly use more water to try and keep the tanks cooler to optimize the bacteria.
3.) Changing the roof vents will help the bacteria to be more efficient.
Hope this helps
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #25

Yes you may have a vent or valve problem. Others have chimed in. Here in North Carolina we have some hot 95 to 100 degree days. We can go a week before dumping. Grey and black tanks. Have never used any thing other than a lot of water when flushing and always flush the tanks after dumping.
Sgfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #26

We found ours was the trap under the sink

We purchased a new to us 2014 Rockwood 8289WS and couldn't figure out what the smell was under the kitchen sink in the island. I assumed something had overflowed with the previous owner and with a little more cleaning I could get rid of the odor. Fast forward to a trip to the beach and like the original poster, we almost keeled over coming back into the camper. We found after removing a panel under the island that there was a trap/release valve under the sink. We took it off, cleaned it out, and put it back, tightening it more than it was previously (it was a little loose). It cut down on the odor significantly the rest of the trip. We will test it out the next time we camp to see if it solved the problem permanently.

If it had not been for this forum, we would never have thought to look behind the panel.
larkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #27

You have one under each sink. I would do the same to the other. As a side note, I found running down our super smooth highways tends to work the water from the traps. First thing I do after setup is put water in them.