Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
Always Learning

Service life and expected use

I'm terribly afraid this is going to quickly devolve into manufacturer bashing and rehashing the whole Q/C topic, but this thought has rolled around my noodle long enough that I want to let it out.

Basically- do you think that RV manufacturers plan for a particular service life into their camper's? Like they expect it to last for 9 years. And then, adjunct to that- do you think there is an expected usage (e.g. number of nights per year)?

For instance, I know that many (most?) brands aren't rated for full-time use. But what do you think the average number of nights camping per year is? 30? If I camp for 100-nights per year, is that effectively like 3 years of camper service?

And yes- I'm waaaaayyyy over thinking this.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

I don't think most RV manufacturers even consider this other than the high end units
I'm convinced Engineering typically considers cost as a determining factor before designing durability into these RVs
I'm speaking from experience because I sell into the market

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #3

I think it's like any other mass produced product - the more you use it the faster it wears out. Keep up with the necessary maintainance and you can prolong the life expectancy. A better produced product using quality materials should last longer than one made with cheaper materials. I am at my seasonal camper 4-5 days per week for 6 months, that's 96 - 120 nights per year.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Team

As taken from the following link:

USATODAY.com

Washington, DC: What are the greatest costs associated with maintaining an RV once you've made that big purchase? How long does the average one last?

RVIA experts: Any vehicle requires routine maintenance and the average life-span of an RV can be 20 years+ if properly maintained, depending on the amount of usage.

--------------------------------

So there you go Doug, in plain vague language. It depends on how much you use it. Just like a roll of toilet paper.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #5

I dunno. I believe that manufacturing is done to make it good enough to match expectations with no or minimal thought given to life expectancy. A max number of days?? I doubt it. Just like aircraft, if one does the needed maintenance, it could last a long time. Of course more use = more maintenance.

Our TT is now 15 years old. Its still in excellent shape inside, but getting a little "aged" outside. I'd say we're at the point of maintenance costs vs perceived value.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

X2 On engineering cost into the equation. But isn't engineering designing? Simply dividing high end from the low end units further deepens the theory of RV end life. I watch way to much television, however on a travel channel is was stated that RV coaches were designed to last 100-150k miles. They didn't elaborate on supportive documentation but they were enforcing the "frame" design on a particular manufacture. Could this then be applied to the double welded aluminum frame design? Maybe manufactures should install odometer or install a mileage counter on the axels? I have a very low end 5r. Ultra super light weight. I have about 20-25k miles on her. One thought that ependy did not say was life of the loan. Are RV not expected to last much past the max loan period?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

I would venture a guess that they base a lot of their decisions off of an "average" user. Maybe 20-30 nights a year. And I doubt there is much emphasis on total lifespan. Too many variables.

No experience in the RV industry, but a lot of experience making components for farm and industrial equipment. In the past 15 years, the big manufacturers have shifted focus from long term durability and best possible product to "zero warranty defects" at the lowest cost. Obviously zero warranty defects hasn't arrived in the rv industry, but I would think the focus is there (reduce defects in the first 2 years) vs trying to make something that will last a really long time.

Besides, selling replacement parts and then a new unit when the cost of repairs gets too high is a lot more profitable than just making a camper that lasts forever...

But, if you take good care of your tt, it should last a long time. And for anybody lucky enough to have indoor storage, that can really keep an rv looking good for a long time.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
X2 On engineering cost into the equation. But isn't engineering designing? Simply dividing high end from the low end units further deepens the theory of RV end life. I watch way to much television, however on a travel channel is was stated that RV coaches were designed to last 100-150k miles. They didn't elaborate on supportive documentation but they were enforcing the "frame" design on a particular manufacture. Could this then be applied to the double welded aluminum frame design? Maybe manufactures should install odometer or install a mileage counter on the axels? I have a very low end 5r. Ultra super light weight. I have about 20-25k miles on her. One thought that ependy did not say was life of the loan. Are RV not expected to last much past the max loan period?

Im not sure that the manufacturer takes life of the loan into account. That said with 15-20 year loans on some of the higher dollar RVs and trailers I have my doubts about them lasting that long, not to mention most people's attention spans don't last as long as the loans

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #9

As has been mentioned I feel that RVs that are cared for and proper maintenance last longer that ones that are not. To say a 2015 X should last so many years is a tough question....... depends totally on the owner (s)......

I have seen 2010s that you could not give me that looked ready for scrap, but some 1980s & 90s that look like they came off the showroom floor.......... But all will need maintenance along the way just like a car or a house........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

fx2. Very well said!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #11

Car manufacturers don't put a limit on a service life, ie this car will be completely worn out and crushed in five years. They look at it from the inverse, this car needs to be mostly trouble free for five years. And it varies, a Chevy Cobalt won't be built to last as long as a Cadillac SLS.

I'd imagine that RV manufacturers are similar.

The biggest determining factor for the most part is type of use. Some people are harder on equipment than others, so take care of it, use as intended and follow the manufacturers instructions.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
MC9

I don't know. My Honda CRV has lasted twice as long as both my cadillacs put together..
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #13

We're full time in a 2011 sierra barely used before we picked it up. Check back with me in 3-4 years I will let you know how it's going.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #14

when do you start measuring the service life, since they come broke from the factory
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
MC9

Now that's funny..
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #16

Everything has a planned obsolescence.

Campers are no different.

Also, think of GOOD camper tires.... they will ROT away before very much of the tread is used.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I think it's like any other mass produced product - the more you use it the faster it wears out. Keep up with the necessary maintainance and you can prolong the life expectancy. A better produced product using quality materials should last longer than one made with cheaper materials. I am at my seasonal camper 4-5 days per week for 6 months, that's 96 - 120 nights per year.
In my brief flirtation with light aircraft, it was often said by those wiser than me that the more you flew a plane, the better the life expectancy. Never let it just sit on the ground. I wonder if some of the real pilots on here might comment as to how this idea differs from using a camper. What do you guys think?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #18

I think there are too many variables to establish an expected life. If you camp without children and in places with moderate temps where you never run AC or furnace and never put the awning out and eat in restaurants all the time it will last a very long time.

If you camp like the rest of us things will wear out. But I see older units still on great shape. My Georgetown is in its 10th year and doing ok. We are doing some maintenance like replacing slide toppers and resealing the slides. Most everything else seems ok.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC9 View Post
I don't know. My Honda CRV has lasted twice as long as both my cadillacs put together..
And that's why Detroit has been scrambling for the last 20 years catching up.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #20

On a FR factory tour in July 2014, Buildings 10B, 10L, and 10C, we were discussing our 2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS. We were picking up the trailer after warranty replacement of the entire roof - water damage leading to mold in the roof AC vents and resulting smell, due to error in installing the AC. The tour guide said that the trailer was designed for weekend use and maybe 1 or 2 two-week vacations per year.

This was a SURPRISE to us, as we use the trailer to snowbird for 3 months in the winter, and continue with several 1-2 week trips in the summer. This involves towing from New England to Florida and back at season change. We currently have 198 sleep nights in the trailer and 9,000 miles on the chassis. The trailer is currently in Florida but in outside storage, and not being lived in.

The traveling on I-95 has damaged the TV - it has sound but no picture. The friction mounting became loose and allowed the TV to bounce up/down in the wall bracket. The TV did not fall from the mounting bracket. And I have not yet addressed replacing the TV.

In discussing tire issues with the guide, why not a tire with more capability, a load range upgrade? Response: the OEM tire meets the weight capacity of the suspension design. Increasing the tire load range would encourage the customer to overload the rest of the suspension. We had 3 tire issues in the first 5,000 miles that were FR replaced. The last FR replacement did come with a Load Range D, an upgrade to the Load Range C that came with the trailer. The trailer now has 4 GY Marathons, LR D.

We are pleased that FR did step up with the warranty work. But disappointed with the design criteria for limited use - not mentioned in the brochures.

Tags
service