Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2015, 05:17 AM   #1

Set up routine??

Picking up new TT today. We have been pop up campers for years. Have not used the gas/water/tanks etc. Etc. When you pull in campsite do you have a set-up routine? what's first thing.... level? Then what? Water? Electric? All seems little overwhelming. Hope to have a thorough PDI. Thanks for sharing.
Pulpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
MCTroy

Electric check first. If the surge protector doesn't like the electric change sites. Then level, slides, and unpack. DH does outside while I do inside. Unless we are traveling with a lot of extra stuff, it takes about 15 minutes and then we are ready to relax. Have fun!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #3

Have been at a season spot now for 4 years and my set up time has been cut in half but we did set up and tear down every weekend before going to seasonal spot.

Process I used and may vary considerably by person:

1) getting the trailer level and stable within the campground spot before unhooking.
2) plug the trailer into cg electric.
3) hooking up city water hose and turning on the water
4) turning the electric water heater button on if you have one.
5) hooking up sewer hoses.
6) deploy slides if you have them
7) unpacking the tow vehicle and moving stuff to the trailer.
7) deploy awning
8) set up chair
9) grab a cold beer and relax for the weekend

Now that I'm seasonal at a campground

1) turn on water
2) turn on water heater button
3) unpack tow vehicle
4) deploy awning
5) fold out chair
6) grab beer and enjoy the weekend.

Having a dedicated spot at campground allows me to keep everything set up which has become less stressful and painful with the setting up and tearing down every weekend. I did that for 3 years and its a lot of work. Love the Seasonal spot we have now and is much more convienent.

Just my 2 cents. Once you do it a few times it won't be so overwhelming. Repetition is key.... Don't let it get overwhelming and if you have help it makes it even easier..

Happy Camping..
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #4

You will find what works best for you. There is no exact routine for us after leveling, wheel chocks & unhitching. Electric and water / & sewer hose. Turn on the gas. If it is summer turn on AC if Cold turn on the heat. After you make sure water / is on and filled the water heater turn it on. DW puts out the slide & starts inside I do the outside. Put the stabilizers down. After the trailer is set, then the mats / chairs etc........... Once you do every thing a couple times it becomes second nature............... If we come after dark we just do what we need to to avoid disturbing the neighbors like leaving the sewer hose til the next day.

Then we get out the golf car....... DW & I often Laugh & say its a lot of work to go camping to relax...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #5

IMHO the setup is less stressful than the tear down. If you get level and safe...the rest can be done with ease. The tear down is more critical to me, because you have to ensure everything is done before you leave. I have certain things I take care of....no one else knows anyway. Level. Chocking. Truck stuff. Sewer/water/electric. Antenna. Safety. DW handles a lot of the inside stuff. Kids are good with packing more than setup. I spend most of my time cooking and cleaning...or so it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #6

Everybody will tell you their way but you'll find your own, mine goes, level side to side, electric,get fridge going, chock tires, start unhooking, level front to back, hook up water or fill tank,open awning and slides have a beer go inside start ac and set up inside, move all outside furniture out.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Electric check first. If the surge protector doesn't like the electric change sites.
This is a real good first step before you go ahead and do anything else, including leveling. Lot of CGs have electric issues they don't necessariliy even know about.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #8

One thing that no one has mentioned is, make sure that you have room to extend your slides and awnings. We have more than once got, everything set up only to find that there is a post or tree that won't allow us to extend our slides.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

Make sure your water heater has water in it before turning on the gas or electric heating features. If no water you can burn it up quickly. When I hook up the water or turn on the pump; wait a bit to make sure everything (lines and tank on you water heater) fills up. Check at the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater before turn on your heating source.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

OP if you notice just about everybody does it the same after you have the trailer level, wheels chocked and un-hooked from your tow vehicle. Most husband wife teams will have the guy do all the outside stuff, electric connection first, water second, sewer if available third but no hurry on that. Other side of the trailer you'll be putting out the awning (maybe with DW help), setting up patio mat, tables, chairs etc. Once your "camp" is set then move to any un-loading of the TV such as firewood, groceries etc. The Mrs. should have everything stowed and tidy inside by now. When you raise the TV antennae you want to have some kind of reminder that it is up. Some folks tie different color ribbons or such to their steering wheel of the tow vehicle for things to remember like the antennae is up, up-plug electric etc. before pulling away. I tie a long red sash to the antennae crank handle as a reminder. I also do the same on roof top vents to remind me or my wife to shut, and again on my awning arm (mines electric) as a reminder that I have the tension screw tightened. What ever system you develop make sure you and the wife do. it the exact same way each time you camp. This way the repetition of setting up will become second nature. The same is true with breaking camp. Develop a routine of order that you stow things, take in the awning, un-hook the water and the electric (which is what I do last). Sewer and dumping will depend again on whether or not you have it at the campsite or you are going to a dump station. Always always have both you and your wife, separately, do a final walk around before jumping into the truck to leave. Enjoy the new rig, you'll have a blast!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Retired

The advice from fellow FRF members in this forum is top shelf. Check lists for me are important and everyone approaches each experience a bit differently. As an example my DW and I developed the check list below for our arrival procedures.

Arrival at site
o Select level area (give room for slide-outs)
o Set landing boards for tires and level (side-to-side)
o Hook up shore line w/ serge protector
o Unhitch TT
o Level front to back
o Hook up water line with filter and pressure regulator (run hot water faucet make sure hot water tank is full)
o Hook up sewer lines
o Check refrigerator…. Auto adjust temp.
o Set hot water heater to elec.
o Open TT (take out two beers)
o Open awning and tether
o Prepare site (chairs, etc. enjoy beer)

You can take all the info in this forum and start developing your own check lists. They will keep you organized and lessen the chance of "screwing -up" BUT we have all done once or twice.

Happy Trails
Old 09-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #12

Well, picked up new TT this afternoon at Basdens RV in Evansville, IN. Coachmen. Catalina 233DS. James did our PDI and was awesome. Two and half hours. Never rushed us. Learned so much. Thanks to everyone for your advice on getting set up at CG. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Pulpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #13

Chock your wheels!!!! There's a story but I'm too ashamed to tell!!!

2015 Primetime Avenger 32BIT
2010 Dodge 3500 Dually
jmmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #14

As I tried to state earlier. If you are towing a trailer do not un hitch until you are sure your slide outs will clear all obstacles.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #15

I like all the responses. Just double check inside make sure everything is secure, latched, and tight. Walk around once more before you leave anytime double check outside. And double check hitch. Alway take a good look at hitch components before, after and even during trip. Big ticket item is don't get frustrated trying to get in a site.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #16

Pull in to campsite, ensure slides and awning have room. Unload dog, wife takes him for walk. Unhook from truck, get it out of the way and press autolevel. Hookup water/power/sewer, go inside and put slides out. Open fridge and see how things travelled. Grab a couple beer and go outside, set up bbq and chairs, enjoy said beer while waiting for my wife to return!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #17

When you leave don't forget to put the stairs up and bring back any fire tools (poker). Years ago we forgot to stop at the dump station on the way out. We have seen other people forget to unhook the electric and leave stools and brooms.
BobandRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #18
Retired

as you can see by the many post there is a reward at the end of a long day of driving...
Old 09-19-2015, 04:24 AM   #19

The first thing I do when I have pulled into a site is to chock the wheels. The last thing I do before leaving a site is to un-chock the wheels. In between that is Un-hitch, Level, Stabilize, Check electric then hook-up (electric, water, sewer, cable...), Slides out, Awning, etc. In that order.

Someone else already posted make sure you have clearance for slide outs and awning when selecting your site.

I am a believer in checklists, but after you have done the process enough times it will become a habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:49 AM   #20

If the park does not have water at each site, the first order of business for me after registering is to fill the water tank. If I've never been to the park before I ask where the fill-up location is and get a park map. I've seen people driving all over parks looking for water because they never asked for the location(s). Everything else comes after that.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote