Old 11-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #11

Guess I don't live my life by the "what if...." scenario. I live in a cold climate and have never worried about any of these issues. A water pipe can burst or a wash machine hose can burst during any season of the year. As a previous poster stated, that is what insurance is for.

trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
Lloydg, for the past 7 years we just set thermostat at 45*-50*F, shut water off at main valve, shut down power to hot water tank. Turn fans off throughout the house that DW thinks they need to run year round. Fill the oil tank and go to Florida and enjoy yourself. we come back north in April but neighbors and son watch the home, gone about 15 weeks.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Guess I don't live my life by the "what if...." scenario. I live in a cold climate and have never worried about any of these issues. A water pipe can burst or a wash machine hose can burst during any season of the year. As a previous poster stated, that is what insurance is for.
That is why people get caught out with those nasty little clauses in their home policy about a home being un-attended.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Yankee View Post
Lloydg, for the past 7 years we just set thermostat at 45*-50*F, shut water off at main valve, shut down power to hot water tank. Turn fans off throughout the house that DW thinks they need to run year round. Fill the oil tank and go to Florida and enjoy yourself. we come back north in April but neighbors and son watch the home, gone about 15 weeks.
I did the same thing last year with no problems. Before I started living here full time, I would do the same thing when I left at the end of the weekend. 7 years without a hiccup. I do have waterline wrapped with heat tape and insulated.

I've though about getting one of those wireless wi-fi thermostats that you can monitor from your cellphone or laptop but the jury is still out if they save you money or not. Be nice to be able to check on things though.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post

I've though about getting one of those wireless wi-fi thermostats that you can monitor from your cellphone or laptop but the jury is still out if they save you money or not. Be nice to be able to check on things though.
I can recommend the wi-fi thermostat, you can even see the actual temp inside the house to as well as turn it up or down, we've been using our like that for the past three years.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #16

Please pay attention to the unoccupied house and your home owners insurance.
I would cut off all incoming water to the house because if you did have a washer hose burst in would not stop filling your house with water if you leave it on. Good luck and 50 F would do very well.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #17

I will have to take a look at my insurance policy. I'm on my own water system, so all I have to do is flip the circuit breaker off.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Works great !!!

Control Products FA-700 FreezeAlarm Dialer - Amazon.com
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
That is why people get caught out with those nasty little clauses in their home policy about a home being un-attended.
Checked my homeowners insurance policy, and sure enough, there is a clause that if the house is vacant for over 30 days the insurance is severely limited. I called my insurance agent and he advised me as follows: "This is a grey area, but usually does not become an issue. He said since I'll have someone coming over once or twice a week to check the house, to have him call him (the agent) if I can't be reached in case an event happens". Problem solved! In 38 years of home ownership I've never had a claim so I don't think it's worth worrying about, but it was worth the phone call to know how to subjugate a problem if it does arise.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
sounds like the ticket....except I have no land line and discontinue my internet(cable) while away

Tags
thermostat