Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Setting Home Thermostat When Gone

This question is for Northern U.S. and Canadian RV'ers that become snowbirds in the winter. We'll be going to Florida for 6 weeks this winter. In our house, I'll be draining all my water pipes, adding RV anti-freeze to drains, turning off the water, disconnecting unnecessary electricity, etc., but what temperature should I set the house furnace thermostat?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Last time we left during the winter we were gone for two weeks I set the thermostat on 60.

Was real cool when we got back but it warmed right up after I started the pellet stove.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Don't live in that cold, but we don't drain anything but the outside hoses, don't put antifreeze in the drains, but do shut the water off to the toilets, shut off breaker to the 60 gal air compressor, metal lathe and the mig & tig welders. Turn the thermostat to 60°, call the sheriff for our county house patrol, set the alarm and leave.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

We are Denver Colo ( read warmer). And have set our to 50*. We do not drain our pipes but master water valve is shut off. Also disconnect power to TV and Ice Box, house plants go to neighbors, hot water heater Off.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Geeeze... I set the thermostat at 60 at night and 64-65 during the day. I was thinking more of setting it at 45-50 while being gone.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #6

I think 50 would be fine. You can shut off the water, but the rest is just overkill, in my opinion. Your house doesn't freeze solid with outside temps in the 50's, does it?
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I think 50 would be fine. You can shut off the water, but the rest is just overkill, in my opinion. Your house doesn't freeze solid with outside temps in the 50's, does it?
The reason why I thought I should drain the water and fill the drains with anti-freeze is if we lost power for an extended period or the furnace died.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

im thinkin ... thats why you have house insurance ... doesnt matter if you are there or not without power .. everyone is up the river ..

d-mo
Old 11-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
DDC

I set ours to 12C and turn the water off where it enters the basement, don't drain anything, unplug everything that does not need to be powered set the water heater to off and set the alarm also get one of our kids to drop by once a week to check on things and that also fills the insurance peoples problem about having an un attended house (any excuse they can). I can also turn the thermostat up on line if I want to and do so on our way back, it's nice to come to a warm house.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
The reason why I thought I should drain the water and fill the drains with anti-freeze is if we lost power for an extended period or the furnace died.
I doubt if your inside temp would drop below freezing. If I were you I would worry more about your outdoor spigots. You might want to put some insulation in a plastic milk bottle and cover them unless you have frost freeze spigots on the outside of your home. I would also set you temp to 45 degrees inside. You will heat in the day from the sun, but the night drop would or could freeze your pipes from the spigots. Have fun in florida..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #11

Guess I don't live my life by the "what if...." scenario. I live in a cold climate and have never worried about any of these issues. A water pipe can burst or a wash machine hose can burst during any season of the year. As a previous poster stated, that is what insurance is for.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
Lloydg, for the past 7 years we just set thermostat at 45*-50*F, shut water off at main valve, shut down power to hot water tank. Turn fans off throughout the house that DW thinks they need to run year round. Fill the oil tank and go to Florida and enjoy yourself. we come back north in April but neighbors and son watch the home, gone about 15 weeks.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
DDC

Quote:
Guess I don't live my life by the "what if...." scenario. I live in a cold climate and have never worried about any of these issues. A water pipe can burst or a wash machine hose can burst during any season of the year. As a previous poster stated, that is what insurance is for.
That is why people get caught out with those nasty little clauses in their home policy about a home being un-attended.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Yankee View Post
Lloydg, for the past 7 years we just set thermostat at 45*-50*F, shut water off at main valve, shut down power to hot water tank. Turn fans off throughout the house that DW thinks they need to run year round. Fill the oil tank and go to Florida and enjoy yourself. we come back north in April but neighbors and son watch the home, gone about 15 weeks.
I did the same thing last year with no problems. Before I started living here full time, I would do the same thing when I left at the end of the weekend. 7 years without a hiccup. I do have waterline wrapped with heat tape and insulated.

I've though about getting one of those wireless wi-fi thermostats that you can monitor from your cellphone or laptop but the jury is still out if they save you money or not. Be nice to be able to check on things though.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post

I've though about getting one of those wireless wi-fi thermostats that you can monitor from your cellphone or laptop but the jury is still out if they save you money or not. Be nice to be able to check on things though.
I can recommend the wi-fi thermostat, you can even see the actual temp inside the house to as well as turn it up or down, we've been using our like that for the past three years.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #16

Please pay attention to the unoccupied house and your home owners insurance.
I would cut off all incoming water to the house because if you did have a washer hose burst in would not stop filling your house with water if you leave it on. Good luck and 50 F would do very well.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #17

I will have to take a look at my insurance policy. I'm on my own water system, so all I have to do is flip the circuit breaker off.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Works great !!!

Control Products FA-700 FreezeAlarm Dialer - Amazon.com
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
That is why people get caught out with those nasty little clauses in their home policy about a home being un-attended.
Checked my homeowners insurance policy, and sure enough, there is a clause that if the house is vacant for over 30 days the insurance is severely limited. I called my insurance agent and he advised me as follows: "This is a grey area, but usually does not become an issue. He said since I'll have someone coming over once or twice a week to check the house, to have him call him (the agent) if I can't be reached in case an event happens". Problem solved! In 38 years of home ownership I've never had a claim so I don't think it's worth worrying about, but it was worth the phone call to know how to subjugate a problem if it does arise.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
sounds like the ticket....except I have no land line and discontinue my internet(cable) while away
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat