Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #1

Setup time for satellite tv

I would like to have tv but most places I camp have no reception. So now I'm thinking about satellite tv and am wondering just how long the average setup, satellite alighning process takes? Now I know some of you are probably quicker than others but I thought if you could give some times I might come up with an average that would give me some idea how long it might take me. With all the other setup/take down chores I'm not sure I want to add one more. I have talked to my local Dish installer and he can fix me up with a dish, stand, meter and cable for just under $100 or a Tailgater for $400. I'm thinking it might be easy for some one to unhook and carry off a tailgater if I was away.
comfun1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

I use a dish triple lnb home type dish on a tripod. I would say on average i can hit all three feeds in 15 min using the on screen signal meter and covering the outside 2 lnb and aiming in on 119 feed for signal......you get better with practice

Although my last trip out it took me 45min.....i almost gave up....the more lnb you have the trickier it can be. ....take down is about 5 min....if that....

My fil has the tailgaiter......takes him 5 min TOPS to set up.....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

We have the equivalent of the Dish tailgater (DirecTV model) and put it on the roof alot. Otherwise, we just leave it out when we're there and put it away if we're not. With that model, it automatically locates the satellites so it makes it easy. Set-up time is about 5 minutes once you know what you're doing.

Debby
dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

We recently got the DISH Tailgater.
Just set it on the ground/roof/picnic table & forget it.

Each time that you disconnect it though you have to go through the receiver setup. Basically the dish has to find & lock in the satellites, then download the program guide. This takes 5 to 15 mins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DISH Tailgater.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	19938  
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Setup time for satellite

We use the Dish Tailgater and find it to be very easy to setup. I built a metal plate and attached it to the bottom of the case to set on top of the ladder. I bought two bicycle locks and can lock the base to the ladder. I also have a hitch carrier and will set and lock it there. I don't worry about someone stealing the dish at an RV park, but we go to music festivals and I worry there. I also found out that it is essential to take and use the receiver in the house when not in use in the trailer. It will lose it's programming when idle in the RV, after about two weeks, and you have to call the 800 number to get it reinstalled each time of use.
wrtdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #6

I picked this whole setup off of Craigslist for $30 it is called a non-penetrating mount. It has a bubble level in the mast. There are 3 bolts that hold the dish to the mast so I remove the dish for transportation. My usual procedure is to set the frame on the ground and if it out of level I just loosen 4 bolts that allow the mast to articulate rather then trying to get the whole frame level. Once I have that done I put the dish on semi-tighten the 3 bolts (BTW all the bolts are 1/2" so I use a 1/2" deep nut driver), pull out my smartphone and use the compass to give me a idea of which way to point the dish. I get it close and the Wife watches the signal meter on the TV and we fine tune the signal once I get the best signal I lock down the dish. Takes 10 minutes tops. You will need to know the elevation, azimuth and tilt which you can find online or by putting the zip code of where you are in the satellite setup screen.

RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I would like to have tv but most places I camp have no reception. So now I'm thinking about satellite tv and am wondering just how long the average setup, satellite alighning process takes? Now I know some of you are probably quicker than others but I thought if you could give some times I might come up with an average that would give me some idea how long it might take me. With all the other setup/take down chores I'm not sure I want to add one more. I have talked to my local Dish installer and he can fix me up with a dish, stand, meter and cable for just under $100 or a Tailgater for $400. I'm thinking it might be easy for some one to unhook and carry off a tailgater if I was away.
We have Dish and I made a tripod stand for the dish itself. All told, from setting the tripod with dish to getting the dish aimed, takes about 20 minutes. Part of that time is getting the settings from the zip code and finding the dish settings from the tv. We have a separate box that stays in the camper as well as a separate dish.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #8

What is the additional cost of having the Dish service for your RV?
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeb289
Zero if u have the service at home.

I use a receiver from my shop .
And a portable dish I got free.
Costs me nothing since I have dish at home.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

I need to seriously look into getting Dish at home and then a Tailgater and receiver for the RV. Cable rates just keeps going up and I can't use the cable I pay for at home at the cg.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I need to seriously look into getting Dish at home and then a Tailgater and receiver for the RV. Cable rates just keeps going up and I can't use the cable I pay for at home at the cg.
Smart move my friend.
I've had dish network for 15 years and have no regrets over direct tv .
Never have had cable so can't comment there.

Turbs
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeb289 View Post
We have it at home and I think it is around $7/mo.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #13

It looks like the Tailgater with Dish Network is the easiest and quickest to set up versus Direct TV.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #14

I have Dish at home and use a Winegard Carryout auto dish when camping and use one of my home receivers. It only takes the time to plug it all in to do setup.

When taking the receiver from the house to the camper, I do have to run a "check switch" test to change the switch from the home dish to the Winegard. Then it finds satelites and downloads program guide. Takes 5 to 10 minutes.
Weeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
It looks like the Tailgater with Dish Network is the easiest and quickest to set up versus Direct TV.
Tailgater is the schnitzel.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #16

Would love to cut the cable for the house but I live on the outskirts of a woods. Unfortunately the woods are south & southwest of the house.
I would need to put the dish on about a 60’ pole to clear the trees.

When I first hooked up the tailgater to the 5er in the driveway I could only lock to one satellite which got me about 20 channels.

I’m paying $48/mon for the “America's Top 120” & can suspend & reactive at will without a penalty or additional activation fee.
Of course after I deleted those channels we would never watch my line up stands at about 80.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #17

im curious (and maybe this needs to be in a thread of its own) how all of you other dish users who have to MANUALLY aim your dish accomplish this?? what is your preferred method, tools, steps, and equipment??

my last outing took me 45 dang minutes to get a lock!! i really dont want to drop 400$ on a tailgaiter which i would only use maybe 5 times a year, and i already have 7 dish boxes for my home, and a tripod setup with triple lnb dish hd....

personally i set up/level tripod, hook up all the wires, use the dish box menu to get the angles (azimuth, elevation, skew)...set the skew and elevation based on the numbers on the dish bracket, and use my phone compass to point the azimuth....

this last trip, i kept getting a lock on the 129 sat but not the 119....i ended up covering the two outside lnb with foil and used the center one to peak 119, on transponder 11.....but it was harder than normal to get good signal....

what method and equip do you other guys use to get fastest signal aquisition???

teach me a new trick or two!! LOL
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #18

Are you sure you have the dish mount level. Like I said in the earlier post my mast has a bubble level in it once I get that level I just aim to whatever azimuth I need and once I get good signal on one the others are good.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #19

pretty sure...i use one of those levels you put on a post when you are setting fence posts....has a horizontal level on the front and side...

i find the skew easy to set as the bracket has a "roll mark" that points to the angle.....on the elevation i dont have a mark..so i set the bolt to the angle.......then i use the box to tell me azimuth, or punch in my zip on dishpointer.com..??
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #20

If you could find one of the bubble levels that go in the mast you could be sure you are absolutely level. Keep in mind that you are bouncing signal from 3 different satellites and a degree or 2 can throw it out whack. What diameter is your mast I have a spare insert if it is the same size as I have?