Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

Severe Weather

As I read about the tragedy at Cherrystone RV Resort I'm reminded that I need a weather radio for the travel trailer, and a solid evacuation plan for my family. Our plan has been to head for a solid structure such as a campground bathroom. But, we need the notification first. Any recommendations on good weather radios that don't have too many false alarms and allow you to easily update your location when traveling?
Nights Out YTD - 17 (6 Trips)
Travel Companions - DW, DS (5) & DS (1)
VicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

You can get alerts on your cell phone if you have one

Wireless Emergency Alerts: Frequently Asked Questions

2013 F350 SB,CC Lariat Ruby Red,3.73Gears,5Star Tuned,,Line-X Bed,Extang Platinum Cover,Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Bags,Airlift Wireless Air controller,Reese Signature Series Fifth Wheel Rail Kit,B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch,2014 Flagstaff 8528BHWS
thetiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #3

I have the local weather alert set to send a text to my phone for the area of our seasonal site ...plus I monitor two weather apps if it is going to storm - kinda paranoid about storms myself but DH is not ....😉

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Several years ago we were in Nashville and came back to our site to get the tornado drill. Not going to loe it definitely concerned me a lot! Since then I have an app Pro Weather Alert to monitor the alerts, a weather radio at home and one in the trailer in case the app fails.

We left that trip early... The next day a tornado came through the middle of the campground and Nashville flooded out. My last trip during the 4th of July I was in Williamsburg and I was shocked to find there was NO NOAA weather stations for the area! Relied on the app since I had a good cell signal.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

Doc 73, I live in Newport News just a few miles from Williamsburg and we receive our weather alerts from the Wakefield weather station with the National weather service. You should have pick up the signal in Williamsburg. I also have the marine band radio which works well on land. They just installed a new antenna at the Wakefield station. They take the system down from time to time for maintenance, but not during a severe weather threat.

Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah I saw it was out of Newport News. On channel 7 I think... it was there but very weak. I could only hear it faintly on two different radios so I know that was not it. We were at the outdoor world

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

We had it come across our phone, unfortunately i only had time to yell a warning to the other members of our group, wake my wife up and get her on the floor and lay on top of her. In the case of Cherrystone it went from a thunderstorm warning to a tornado and was on us in about 5 minutes.
joeobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #8

On the iPhone, go to Settings, then to Notification Center and scroll to the very bottom and you will see Government Alerts. You can choose to have it on or off. I get Amber Alerts but so far have not gotten a weather alert as I've not been in that type of situation yet, luckily. I also use Nixle as our city uses that system for weather alerts. It's very handy and very helpful!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
CampTBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicD View Post
As I read about the tragedy at Cherrystone RV Resort I'm reminded that I need a weather radio for the travel trailer, and a solid evacuation plan for my family. Our plan has been to head for a solid structure such as a campground bathroom. But, we need the notification first. Any recommendations on good weather radios that don't have too many false alarms and allow you to easily update your location when traveling?
Yeah, I need to get a weather radio myself. I read all the posts about getting alerts on your smartphone... but I don't have a smartphone. It was a pain in my ***** when I worked and told DW I didn't need one in my semi-retirement. Besides, I didn't even have a signal for my cellphone at the campground we were at over the weekend - nor did I have a signal at the campground we were at over the 4th of July!
So, a weather radio it is. Just need to find something decent.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #10

Try a eton ,battery, solar or crank, it works am fm and weather has helped us a couple of times.

Good Luck

Wayne and Donna
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

I ended up ordering Midland WR300 weather radio. I like the idea of using a cell phone, but many of the campgrounds we have stayed at have had limited to no cell coverage. Or, little to no data coverage. I'll probably try and use my Note 3 as a backup, but because of limited coverage I'm not comfortable trusting it 100%. We are in FL and although we aren't in tornado alley, there are more tornadoes in FL per square mile than any other state. I would also assume that the number of "Severe Thunderstorms" ranks pretty high, too. It doesn't always take a tornado. I was tent camping along the Wekiva River and a severe thunderstorm blew through and a large tree branch fell on an empty tent... that was really scary.

Average number of tornadoes and average deaths per year by state

Amazon.com: MIDLAND WR300 Weather Radio: Electronics
Nights Out YTD - 17 (6 Trips)
Travel Companions - DW, DS (5) & DS (1)
VicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
Site Team

The stereo in my 2013 Rockwood 8282WS has weather bands on it. You have to turn it on and scan to find the nearest one but it does get it. Wish there was a setting to have it come on and alert you to severe warnings.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #13

for those out there with SmartPhones, the best app on the market is NOAA Weather Radio. Like others though I would not solely rely on it because of the vagerices of cell signals.

Midland is pretty much the gold standard in NOAA SAME weather Radios (all the meterologists around here recommend them exclusively - and we live in tornado ally)

This is the one we have for our rig:
Amazon.com: Midland WR-120B/WR120EZ NOAA Weather Alert All Hazard Public Alert Certified Radio with SAME, Trilingual Display and Alarm Clock - Box Packaging: Electronics

Small, Compact & Battery Backup
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
The stereo in my 2013 Rockwood 8282WS has weather bands on it. You have to turn it on and scan to find the nearest one but it does get it. Wish there was a setting to have it come on and alert you to severe warnings.
X500 I certainly wish they had thought of that when they designed the Genesis 3.0!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X500 I certainly wish they had thought of that when they designed the Genesis 3.0!
Agreed! I had thought the same thing on mine...

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #16

I would not rely on a Smartphone for weather alerts when traveling. Too many issues can cause them to not be delivered especially lack of cell or data coverage. ( Confession: I work on/design smartphone apps for a Major Carriers)

I am adding a Weather Radio to my Trailer. I hope its the worst purchase I ever make and never use it. But when/ if i do need it, it will be there
Old 07-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
I would not rely on a Smartphone for weather alerts when traveling. Too many issues can cause them to not be delivered especially lack of cell or data coverage. ( Confession: I work on/design smartphone apps for a Major Carriers)

I am adding a Weather Radio to my Trailer. I hope its the worst purchase I ever make and never use it. But when/ if i do need it, it will be there
Know what you mean. I had home security installed Saturday. Hope it was a waste of money. (But I do like being able to see the dog thru video on my smart phone while gone)

Old 07-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Know what you mean. I had home security installed Saturday. Hope it was a waste of money. (But I do like being able to see the dog thru video on my smart phone while gone)
Sounds like Vivent installed your system...our house is wire(less) for video/sound/et al by them as well - good company BTW - been with them now for 4 years.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #19
Site Team

Yep. just sent in cert for insurance rate discount. Liking it so far.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #20

The radio is a much better option. I was camping the week prior to the tragedy at Cherrystone, and the campground Was not within any cell service and did not have wi-fi. Go figure, camping without: cellular, wi-fi, or TV (I don't have Sat and there was no cable or air reception).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
larryscsi is offline   Reply With Quote