Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Severe Weather Camping

If you are from the Midwest or Southern states you are already aware that this season is prime time for heavy storms and Tornado's. With the events in Oklahoma, Alabama and Joplin over the last few years its gotten me much more aware of whats going on around us. I along with a good friend are taking our two oldest boys out this weekend and they are predicting for some severe weather and I am tempted to call it off or see how it plays out. Any of you spend some sleepless nights in your Rv's through some rough weather?

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I spent a really uncomfortable night in a pop-up camper in Ocean City, MD in a fairly unprotected campground and dealt with a nasty thunderstorm. I'm a big boy - 265 pounds or so. Daughter and I were laying on the bed and could feel it being lifted under us. We were watching the weather map the whole time from my phone.

Where I live, there's not much of a threat of tornadoes. Just regular summer thunderstorms and whatnot.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #3

I left St. Louis to get away from the tornadoes... and moved into hurricane territory. We camped once while a storm turned tropical on us.

When I was a kid, we went tent camping and I remember trips cut short due to approaching weather. Just play it safe, check the forecast, bring your weather radio if you go, and be ready.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #4

Jellystone campground in Bagley WI got hit last night. 3 campers blew over on their sides. Luckily there were no injuries.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Jellystone campground in Bagley WI got hit last night. 3 campers blew over on their sides. Luckily there were no injuries.
How far was that phrom you?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

Many, Many moons ago (long before internet weather, weather alert radios, etc) we camped in Lincoln, IL at a Good Sam Rally - We were in a 1974 Coleman Popup towed by a 1971 VW Bus (where were the weight police then...) - Sirens wailed - sky turned green and dark (outside fairgrounds lights came on) and they annouced over the public address there was a tornado in the area. Dropped the popup very quickly (about 1 min if I remember right) all the while Dad yelling to go faster. Then sat in the VW Bus with the engine running as we watched the tornado tear up a local comunity about 1/4-1/3 of mile off in the distance.

Spent some sleepless nights this past weekend with the wind roaring around the rig almost constantly 25-30 mph with gusts over 50.

Still had a good time with the kids and grandchild so it was worth it. We do keep aware of the weather conditions around us with cell phone, tablets, and weather alert radio these days. Pretty rare that we would let it stop us... Slow us down and/or limit our activities sure but not stop us.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #7

We've been thru some big storms this week and last weekend. Our door side is facing south west, directly parallel to Lovewell reservoir in central Kansas near the NE boarder. Kept getting alerts for 60-70 mph winds yesterday. The dw asked me how much wind can thus big thing take before rolling over? Guess it seems plenty stable in the 50+mph stuff, but not sure above that? Good thread to help keep us all aware and a reminder to think safely, especially with little ones along.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How far was that phrom you?
Bagley is about 15 miles south oph Prairie du Chien right along the Mississippi. Our camper is 35 minutes NNE oph Portage so it's a good ways from us.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

We where in Gifford Pinchot in PA some years ago with a pop up, the ranger drove by told us too tie everything down and put everything away a huge storm was coming.

Well we ended up tying the popup to the trees around us, lucky there was enough for each brace of the roof.

The weather was so bad , we left the site and sat near a bathroom looking for cover. We waited about 2 hours that night.

Next day we heard lightning killed two tent campers.

Finally get a storm radio ! those things work.

Since that time, I really never felt secure in a pop up.

Also once in the keys, we where awaken by a big storm around 2 in the morning. Picnic tables where turned, tent campers walking around in underwear trying to hide.

It was awful, I could feel the beds move up and down, we had friend with a hard sided trailer and we stayed with them for another 2 hours or so.

Pop ups are great, very fuel efficient and roomy, but I got tired of the storms and never felt comfortable sleeping in them. We then moved up to our previous hard sided trailer. It also may not be the safest place to be in a storm, but some how hard sides and top due give me more security than a canvas trailer.

But any storm can rattle our cages.

2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2109S
2013 Silverado 1500 5.3
Equalizer E2

Home Is Where You Park It
cruz305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #10

Damage pics of Jellystone campground in Bagley WI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Theo-Keith---Campground-damage---May-29---image-1-of-1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	31741

Name:	Jellystone-Campground---May-29---image-5-of-5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	31742

Name:	Jellystone-Campground---May-29---image-4-of-5.jpg