Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

Sewage Smells When We flush

I may not be looking in the right place, but I need y'alls help BAD??? I have a 2005 FR Cardinal 5th wheel. Just got to the camp ground and hooked up. Every time I flush the toilet, a sewage smell comes out of the toilet. I mean it comes out real bad!!!! It did this before when we first flush if but only the first time or two. I've put 3 bottles of the treatment in it but nothing is helping the terrible smell. Tried flushing out the tank down the toilet bowl but nothing's helping and it's not getting any better. Someone please help me!!!!
orabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

tried flushing out the tank with the bowl? are you on a full hook up site with sewer? if so do not leave your gate valves open all the time.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabun View Post
I may not be looking in the right place, but I need y'alls help BAD??? I have a 2005 FR Cardinal 5th wheel. Just got to the camp ground and hooked up. Every time I flush the toilet, a sewage smell comes out of the toilet. I mean it comes out real bad!!!! It did this before when we first flush if but only the first time or two. I've put 3 bottles of the treatment in it but nothing is helping the terrible smell. Tried flushing out the tank down the toilet bowl but nothing's helping and it's not getting any better. Someone please help me!!!!
Try 1 cup of calgon water softener and 1 cup dawn. Fill the tank let sit. I like to do this o. Our way to a camp with full hookup so i can run the tank flush for a long time when i arrive. Good luck.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
tried flushing out the tank with the bowl? are you on a full hook up site with sewer? if so do not leave your gate valves open all the time.
I am at a camp site with full hookups and I don't leave my gate open. My black water tank Flusher doesn't work. I've tried getting help from this site on that matter too, to no avail!!! I guess I could use a water hose down the toilet bowl. Thank you for your help though.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Scoundrel

We presume you're not running the bathroom exhaust fan with flush valve open.... right?

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Try 1 cup of calgon water softener and 1 cup dawn. Fill the tank let sit. I like to do this o. Our way to a camp with full hookup so i can run the tank flush for a long time when i arrive. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll try that. I need help now though. We are just starting a 2 week trip. I may go to Walmart and get a bottle of pine sole and pour down the toilet.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
We presume you're not running the bathroom exhaust fan with flush valve open.... right?
Right. But a good question.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #8

if your black tank flush is broke I would start with the garden hose down the toilet first
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I could see that being unpleasant.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #10

Pinesol will help, I use it all the time.

I would run a garden hose down the toilet drain at full pressure so that hopefully the hose will flop itself around in there and break sh...I mean stuff, loose. Open black drain every two minutes while doing it. Stuff an old towel around the hose to prevent the odor from coming out so bad. Make sure the towel doesn't go down the commode!!!

Then another 1/2 cup of Dawn and a cup of Pinesol with a few gallons of water to soak overnight.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
Always Learning

I'd be checking the vent. Make sure it's not clogged or blocked in some way. The odors generally should be going up and out that, not up the toilet.

When we start getting a full tank, the vent on my current rig gets blocked by waste water (I personally think our vent is down into the tank a bit). Stinks to high heaven for those flushes until we can get it dumped. Once dumped, everything is good (even with the fan on).
Old 07-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
Always Learning

And yes, I'd be manually flushing the blank tank by filling it with water- either standing on the toilet valve or better, get a sprayer that attaches to the hose and stick that down the toilet.

However, I don't think that's your issue here.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Make sure you use a separate hose for flushing.

Lots of great ideas given.

One more is a bag of ice cubes and break up poo mountain before driving. Also use the bottle of Camco blue stuff, not drop ins. That really helps breakup paper and stuff. I swear by the Camco blue stuff.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #14

They sell a wand you can use that has a back prevented and hook to the bath sink. I found using the Dawn and hot/warm water does a pretty good job of clearing the tank. I do that any time I notice any smell.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #15

Don't have the bathroom exhaust fan or any exhaust fan running when flushing toilet, it sucks gas out instead of gases naturally sucked out by roof vent stack.
Only have gate dump valve open when dumping full or 3/4 tank not all the time.
Drop in a blank tank pod to aid with smells and waste breakdown.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
They sell a wand you can use that has a back prevented and hook to the bath sink. I found using the Dawn and hot/warm water does a pretty good job of clearing the tank. I do that any time I notice any smell.
Thanks, I'm going to try using Dawn when I leave, heading home. How full can I fill the tank and pull the rv without it sloshing out of the tank?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Don't have the bathroom exhaust fan or any exhaust fan running when flushing toilet, it sucks gas out instead of gases naturally sucked out by roof vent stack.
Only have gate dump valve open when dumping full or 3/4 tank not all the time.
Drop in a blank tank pod to aid with smells and waste breakdown.
You know, I didn't think about it, but I had both a/c's running so it could have been pulling gases out!!! Thanks for your help.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #18

Quote:
You know, I didn't think about it, but I had both a/c's running so it could have been pulling gases out!!! Thanks for your help.
We had a similar issue earlier this year, it turned out to be the air admittance valve on the kitchen sink. A couple taps with some pliers and it fixed the problem. Only occured when the a/c was running.
uncbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to try using Dawn when I leave, heading home. How full can I fill the tank and pull the rv without it sloshing out of the tank?
You can be full since the ball valve is closed. Only opening is the vent on the roof.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbearfan View Post
We had a similar issue earlier this year, it turned out to be the air admittance valve on the kitchen sink. A couple taps with some pliers and it fixed the problem. Only occured when the a/c was running.
I remove my air addmitance valve and clean it. For some reason it gets sticky. Once cleaned its fine for months.

Tags
flush