Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

Sewer question.

Just wondering what the best procedure to follow when having a sewer connection at the campground. Fill up the holding tank then flush it down? Leave it connected all the time and only flush it as needed? First time ever having a sewer connection at the campground.
Thanks in advance.
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #2

NEVER EVER EVER keep black tank open to dumping at all times. Black tanks need water, lots of it, to dump properly. Keep valve closed until you have to dump it. DO NOT depend on the sensor lights to know full percentage. They do not work. I don't ever even look at mine. If it's time to go and you have to dump, make sure it's got lots of water first. If not, add water till there is enough to dump.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #3

Let the tanks fill, then empty. Empty the black first and then the grey. Unlike your sewer at home the bottom of the holding tank is a large flat surface so solids get left behind. I always start with about five gallons of water in the holding tank.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
NEVER EVER EVER keep black tank open to dumping at all times. Black tanks need water, lots of it, to dump properly. Keep valve closed until you have to dump it. DO NOT depend on the sensor lights to know full percentage. They do not work. I don't ever even look at mine. If it's time to go and you have to dump, make sure it's got lots of water first. If not, add water till there is enough to dump.
What he said. Well put.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
X 3.

You need to use water, lot of it. When flushing, don't skimp, don't use just a "cup" of water to flush solids. And, after dumping the black tank, run 3-4 gallons of water into the empty tank...when you dump it's likely you won't get it all out and you don't want what may be left in the tank to dry or harden.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

After every trip I ALWAYS run a hose into the black tank. I camp during the week when you get the chance to take the time at a dump station.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but we're trying to say that it's NOT good enough to run water into at end of a trip.......it needs water all the time, or the solids will harden and then you have an almost un-fixable mess.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
Always Learning

See if this helps:
https://learntorv.com/how-to-dump-rv...s-not-so-icky/
Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but we're trying to say that it's NOT good enough to run water into at end of a trip.......it needs water all the time, or the solids will harden and then you have an almost un-fixable mess.
When I camp I fill up my water, after setting up I put at least two gallons into black holding tank, then flush liberally when using. My question was for the first time I'll have electric, water and sewer hookups for two weeks. I will still put two gallons down before use but should I keep the hose hooked up to the camper and the sewer and just flush it every few days as needed or only hookup the hose when I drain?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
When I camp I fill up my water, after setting up I put at least two gallons into black holding tank, then flush liberally when using. My question was for the first time I'll have electric, water and sewer hookups for two weeks. I will still put two gallons down before use but should I keep the hose hooked up to the camper and the sewer and just flush it every few days as needed or only hookup the hose when I drain?
Doesn't hurt at all to leave the hose hooked up. For almost all of my stays, I hookup the sewer hose when we arrive at camp and disconnect it as part of breaking camp.

We generally go 1 week on the front black tank between dumpings.

Gray water usually fills faster. We tend to leave our shower gray valve open so we don't have to worry about showers. Our sink gray valve is hit or miss if I keep it open.

As mentioned, black always stays closed until the tank is full (which for a couple and most black tanks will be quite a bit more than just a couple of days).
Old 06-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Again sorry for the confusion I know how to drain and maintain my black tank it's just the 2 weeks having the sewer hookup that is the question. I don't want any stink backing up for any reason into my hose. Been camping wit travel trailers for 20 years just never stayed in a place that has all three (Sewer, water, electric) usually stay in state or forest service campgrounds.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #12

As long as your gates are closed, no smell from the sewer system can enter your rv system. Keep the sewer hose connected and dump as needed. We go away for several weeks at a time in one place and do as I said,connected and dump as needed.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Again sorry for the confusion I know how to drain and maintain my black tank it's just the 2 weeks having the sewer hookup that is the question. I don't want any stink backing up for any reason into my hose. Been camping wit travel trailers for 20 years just never stayed in a place that has all three (Sewer, water, electric) usually stay in state or forest service campgrounds.
Personal preference.

There is no way to keep any of the sewer gases from entering your hose once you remove the cap at the in-ground sewer port and connect your sewer hose to it... BUT... those gases will not infiltrate your R/V UNLESS you would open the Dump/Gate valves and have no water in the tank(s) or hose.

If your hose is in good shape, no pin holes or other loose connections, then there is no reason not to hook up at arrival and remove upon leaving... OR... simply connect your hose when you are ready to dump. Many folks will allow some slack in the hose to form sort of a P-trap near the R/V connection.

Again... personal preference.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #14

We have a 10-second flush policy, in order to keep the black tank well hydrated.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote