Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
Thanks for all of the ideas. I will try to answer a few questions. We have had the trailer 5-6 months. I have not performed any work that would damage the vent pipes, but that is one area I intend to explore when we get home. we take showers every day and I have examined the vent valve under the lavatory. It seems to be OK and there is no odor under the sink. I put laundry detergent and deoderizer into black and grey tanks before leaving home. Pulled about 20 miles and dumped after setting up. Always put some water into bowl after flushing. The toilet is a Dometic 310 model, which is supposed to be OK. Dumping and rinsing now and will double up on treatment. It is very hot in north Alabama now.

dmac1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #12
Site Team
One more I did not see. If you have a bathroom vent fan, try turning it off before flushing. A vent fan like FF can suck odors from the toilet during flushing especially if the RV is closed up ( ie AC running).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #13
Good point, Flybob. I always try to turn off fan and close vent before flushing. A few times I have forgotten, and it dramatically proved your point. Especially true if you do the ten-second flushes to put a lot of water in the tank.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
To FlyBob, we don't use our shower at all. So we need to treat the p-trap of the shower in the trailer just like any p-trap in the house? Always put water down the drain after we set up? We are new to the TT camping so any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
imcruzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
I had the same symptoms in my 5th wheel as the OP. I could smell the sewer in the bathroom and in the basement compartment.

What I did was fill the black tank. I mean all the way to the top where I could see water in the pipe with the flush valve open. Looked in the basement compartment, under the toilet. There was a small crack in the waste pipe. I never would have found it without the water seeping out.

So as a temporary fix I went to the hardware store and bought a can of that Flex-Seal stuff. Sprayed the crack area and the other joint areas on the waste pipe from the toilet. No more smell... It was supposed to be a temporary fix, but I'm going to leave that can on the camper and see if the Flex-seal holds.
Russ & Kim
2014 Alpine 3600RS
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 4X4
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #16
The big ones for us is turning off the vent before flushing and we keep a plug in the shower drain while traveling then add a cup of water when we land.
Plus I'm a stickler on cleaning tanks and lines when I can.
2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
I'm having the same problem and have tried some of these solutions. But, it has also been hot so that may contribute to the problem. We just got home and plan to go again in 2-3 weeks so will start with an empty tank and fill with Dawn and Calgon if I can find it.
Bonnie and Rich
Winston (Rat Terrier)
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #18

I used to keep my grey valve opened at campsite. I had a sewer oder come from rhe bathroom sink liked described earlier I know keep the valve closed and drain the grey tank evey morning when I'm camping
poppytoymaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #19
Try "Tank Tech RX" We have found it to be a good product for controlling smells and build up.
SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #20

Make sure that it not your gray water it will smell almost as bad

Boso is offline   Reply With Quote