Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Always Learning

Sharing upcoming travel dates- overly cautious?

I see a lot of people posting that they're going camping on such and such of a date in the future. I'll post that I have an upcoming trip (or that I'm on a trip) but outside of PMs, I try to keep it general timeframes vs. exact dates.

Am I the only one that is weird like this?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #2

Nope - you should not post when and where these days

Too easy to track people where they live etc

Even to the point of NOT putting where you are from on those cute camper signs everyone has
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Always Learning

I have less issue of the location on the camper signs, I rarely camp close to home. If someone is going to drive 100+ miles to rob me, so be it.

Though, I don't like the idea of putting my kids names on the signs. That seems like a not great idea to me.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

Naaa not weird about it! Some are just more cautious than others. I know many that say you shouldn't post any vacation details on any social network....a lot of "not nice" people out there. Of course there are others that say there is nothing to worry about ....but to each their own I think!! Just as long as you are having fun and keeping safe!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1418075174.157087.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	671.8 KB
ID:	67343

No kids at home...we have a seasonal spot backed up to the river so this is all we put on ours
Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #6

I try to keep my home place quiet and don't use my real name on line anywhere except privately. And I try to keep travel dates vague as well. One thing....KIDS talk to other kids on line and face to face. THEY need to know to keep it on the low down as well or your own secrecy can be compromised...as mine was some years ago when we came home to a house that had been robbed by KIDS.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

Ependydad your not alone. There are a lot of weirdos out there. I never tell anyone but the close neighbors watching my house. I don't gives times and dates to anyone but those neighbors and my relatives. There are no names on my camper. I don't tell fellow campers when we are going to leave the campground but I will tell CG office personnel if we're going to be gone more than a day. I'm not paranoid but was in the security field for years before retiring. I just like to keep "honest" people more honest. I do like to be friendly with my CG neighbors. They'll know if a stranger is taking your stuff. Was in a CG this past year when someone across the road had his Surge Protector stolen in broad daylight. The owner was a grump and did not make nice with others. So, no one was paying attention to his site.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #8

For us its real handy having a local Policeman as a next door neighbor.....and a great bunch of neighbors that are nosey if they see anything fishy going on. We have had no issues here.....but I do understand your concern.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
Site Team

I rather error on the cautious side. Using an Internet name can help but only up to a point. I recently met a lady at a dealership and within minutes I was able to piece together the connection with FRF.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Im not terribly concerned. I mean we live in the country, down a dirt road with about 11 or 12 houses on the whole mile section. Heck people cant even find us sometimes even with directions (i think they must be idiots). That and everybody knows us and several of the neighbors are family, and everybody kinda keeps an eye on stuff. Plus with different vehicles around or not in the garage, people can't tell if were home or not.

Not really concerned at the cg either. Since we're seasonal, we know most everybody and our retired Vet. landlord keep a very watchful eye on everything. We dont even worry about locking our boat trailer up and always leave the key in the boat.

Don't get me wrong, if circumstances were different, we lived in town, and at new camp grounds all the time, i would be a bit more concerned.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it's overly cautious. As a mom the other thing that bothers me are the stickers on cars that give a child's name, sports number and/or team. To me that just leads a pedophile to your child. I have nothing on the outside of my vehicle that indicates child or school. When asked by patients at work about my family, I stay as vague as possible.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I see a lot of people posting that they're going camping on such and such of a date in the future. I'll post that I have an upcoming trip (or that I'm on a trip) but outside of PMs, I try to keep it general timeframes vs. exact dates.

Am I the only one that is weird like this?

You're certainly not being weird about it and I do the same. Too many "YA HOOS" out there who clearly are "watching" for the opportune time to victimize anyone and everyone.
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I don't think it's overly cautious. As a mom the other thing that bothers me are the stickers on cars that give a child's name, sports number and/or team. To me that just leads a pedophile to your child. I have nothing on the outside of my vehicle that indicates child or school. When asked by patients at work about my family, I stay as vague as possible.

Our grandson started bumble bee soccer a couple years ago and they had tshirts made with name and number on them

Next week - new shirts number only and I asked my daughter why and she explained basically the same thing - not giving anyone an opportunity with devious intentions

Sad society we have come to IMO 😞
Old 12-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #14

On a forum like this I am less likely to worry about it, but never post stuff like that on any social media.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

I just removed (what a chore) all the "Veteran" and Air Force stickers and emblems from my camper and vehicles due to a recent warning issued by DoD to current and retired military personnel.

Threats by groups who would like to do harm are using social media and "targets of opportunity" to find their targets.

Wish it was not like that; but we live in a new and very dangerous world.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
On a forum like this I am less likely to worry about it, but never post stuff like that on any social media.
This is an open forum and membership is not required to read posts.
Look at who is online and "guests" exceed registered members by 3 to 1.

LOL - except today of course when we have 100 members and 650 "guests"

Now (120 members and 658 guests)
Old 12-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

In Concord, NC which is in Cabarrus County, the Sheriff's dept. has a program that allows you to call and tell them when you will be gone and expect to return and they have Deputies walk around the house 2x every 24 hrs. You have to tell them what vehicles and who has permission to be there. It must work, our oldest son was over working in my garage last winter and drove his Dodge truck which he never does (as he usually drove his company truck) and a Deputy drove in the drive, blipped the siren and scared Mardy who immediately came out and had to show proof of who he was. Deputy said his truck was not on the list allowed on the property. We all got a good laugh about it, even the Deputy.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In Concord, NC which is in Cabarrus County, the Sheriff's dept. has a program that allows you to call and tell them when you will be gone and expect to return and they have Deputies walk around the house 2x every 24 hrs. You have to tell them what vehicles and who has permission to be there. It must work, our oldest son was over working in my garage last winter and drove his Dodge truck which he never does (as he usually drove his company truck) and a Deputy drove in the drive, blipped the siren and scared Mardy who immediately came out and had to show proof of who he was. Deputy said his truck was not on the list allowed on the property. We all got a good laugh about it, even the Deputy.
That is all well and good, but when I was stationed at Langley AFB in the mid 1970's everyone who notified the Security Police that they would be on leave, was robbed while they were gone. It took them almost 3 years to catch the ring of crooks in the police force. NONE of the people who "just left" on leave and stopped their mail were robbed.

I would rather leave a banner on my house than tell the local cops. PS I DO love those folks and trust them completely, but I would rather be safe"er" than sorry. You never know who is working in the admin area.

My Security system is monitored and I have recording cameras (with off-site storage) and iPhone repeater as part of my security preparations.

These days you never know.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
...I would rather leave a banner on my house than tell the local cops. PS I DO love those folks and trust them completely, but I would rather be safe"er" than sorry. You never know who is working in the admin area.

My Security system is monitored and I have recording cameras (with off-site storage) and iPhone repeater as part of my security preparations.

These days you never know.
We also have an alarm system and we've been doing this since I retired in 06 and will continue.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
Site Team

I just hope they bring more beer

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel