Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Shocked by poor and dangerous construction

We love our shamrock trailer and been very pleased with the high quality of construction until an incident this week.
We have a 2003 model but bought it last year in new condition from a family who had bought it new and after two weekends out never used it again.
So a lot of things that we are using for the first time are first try for this trailer.
We decided to use the dinette bed and placed the table down onto the wooden edges that support it for bed use. I went to get into the bed and the whole thing came crashing down onto the floor causing me to twist my ankle in the process. After investigating the cause we discovered that the wooden support edges were screwed only into the 1/4 inch thick panelling. There was nothing supporting the weight of the bed!
I am going to assume that this was an oversight by Forrest river in the construction process and someone forgot to attach the bracing board to the back to screw into. I am planing to photo and send to Forrest river just so they can see this. We are obviously way past warranty but I still think they need to know when they make mistakes like this. If had been elderly I could have sustained a much more serious injury.
I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? And also would like to suggest that people check out the supports for proper instalation before using the drop down dinette beds.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
my wife had that kind of problem when she and her girlfriend took the kids camping.. they were gone a week and this happened on the first night. the next morning my wife got up and went to a home depot. she bought a piece of 2 inch pvc she then made 2 shorter legs for the table out of the pvc. now not only do we have that but she also made a backing board for more support. but i dont think the pvc will break..

i hope this helps

Happy Camping

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member
No isssues with the dinette but I had one fog light just fall off and dangling from the wiring harness. One side had the mounting brace fibreglassed into the front cap while the other looked like it was just barely touched. The first time I opened the trunk I found one support ripped from the plastic board or whatever it is and the other holding on by just one screw. I fixed both myself but it really shows that it's an assembly line product and if someone is doing a quality check he/she is not doing a thorough job.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Forest River does have some quality issues. Our 2011 Rockwood 2902SS has had everything from water leaks in the plumbing to the crimp wire nuts falling off the wires because they were not properly crimped. But for the money and floor layouts you cant beat them. We owned a 2001 Shamrock up until last fall, once we got all the "bugs" out of it it was a great camper. By next spring I should have all the issues fixed with our 2011 Rockwood and we should get years out of it.
2013 Prime Time 230 FBS
Days camped in 2013: April to November
Days camped in 2014...about 40
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
RVs are not built like houses. They are mass produced on an assembly line and don't have near the quality of an automobile either. You have to take the quality and assembly with a grain of salt. When I purchase an RV, I keep in mine that some things will and do go wrong. Until the Rv manufacturers are forced to follow strict guidelines, there will always be things overlooked. But, then again, they'll be so expensive, we won't be able to afford them.
Repair the dinette and go camping.

EDIT 7/4/10:
Sorry about your injury. Hope that ankle gets better soon.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Its like a hobby, you tinker with it until you get it just right. If you pulled a house down the road 5000 miles a year you would have some maintenance issues! Personally I don't mind working on the RV, its the dumb stuff that they do that makes me crazy. You know, like putting the water filter housing (with no drain) way down in the storage area so that you have to crawl in through a storage hatch to change the filter. So this is why you go to walmart and purchase the external KDF water filters.
2013 Prime Time 230 FBS
Days camped in 2013: April to November
Days camped in 2014...about 40
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
Forest River does have some quality issues.
Yep, along with ALL of the other RV manufacturers.

The way I see it. If I, or anyone else, purchases an RV, and thinks they won't have to constantly maintain and work on it, they really need to think twice. It's kind of like owning a RC plane, race car, dune buggy, time share, etc... It's a leisure item and leisure item will always need to be maintained and repaired.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #8
LadyW., thank you for alerting us to a potentially dangerous problem, I will give our dinette a closer look the next time I am out there. I agree that you should automatically allot a certain amount of time and money maintaining an RV, but to have a support that should be holding up the weight of a person screwed into the paneling is far from acceptable, much less expected. Maintenance and repair is one thing, carelessness and disregard for the safety of the end user on the part of the manufacturer is another. Enjoy your camper and ice that ankle!
kelzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Sorry to hear you got hurt and you're right, the construction or lack thereof was improper and dangerous. Hope your ankle is better.

But I agree with milzat. Owning any type of rv will mean constant preventive maintenance and repair.

Here's a list of repairs done in the first fouteen months of my owning my current TT, purchased in Feb. '09.
Dinning table replaced (chairs and table)
re-caulked shower
Black water flush valve replaced
right front corner water leak
kitchen window leak
replaced broken knob on stove
replaced range vent cover
conertone replaced (shouldn't count this one since everyone has problems with these)
re-alignment of awning
replaced both sidewalls due to delamination
replaced steps due to driver damaging steps returning TT from factory
replaced kitchen cabent door due to damage when replacing sidewalls

Some of the repairs are minor and some are major, but all of the repairs mentioned above have been covered under warranty and didn't cost me a dime, except my time and the cost of towing the TT to my dealer and back home. I expected minor repairs but not the delamination. I will continue to check the TT for needed repairs on a regular basis. I consider this normal owner responsibility. I am fortunate to have a dealer that will help with any problems I have and at least we have a manufacturer that will stand behind their product.

Currently the awning needs to be re-aligned again and some re-caulking needs to be done on the outside since being returned from the factory and the kitchen window is leaking again, but shows only during a hard rain. There have been a few loose screws and things like that, but nothing else major. The TT is finally taking shape and I believe it will be a very good TT which my family and I will enjoy for many years.

Good luck and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Site Team
Does this remind you of the American auto industry in the late 70's and early 80's? It took Japanese competition with superior quality to make them change. Maybe they need some competition with better quality.

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote