Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
One advantage of fiberglass it will usually hold up better if it hails. Aluminum dents easily.
Hail can put spider cracks in fiberglass which will allow moisture in. Then you've got major problems. Even hitting a bird can crack fiberglass. It's rare but it does happen!
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 AM   #22

For the past 9 years I have hauled rv"s for a living. In the off season I haul a fair number of trailers back to the factory to get sides replaced due to cracking caused by aluminum frames flexing. After 40 years of tenting we purchased a trailer this year and it's stick and tin.. My motto is that they are ALL good till they have problems and sooner or later they all will have problems!
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:59 AM   #23

Pretty basic to me---do you want an aluminum frame with fiberglass walls or a wood frame with thin sheets of aluminum covering it? No brainer to me, I'll pass on the stick and tin!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:01 AM   #24

Bottom line as you can see the opinions vary greatly....... and there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Personally I do not care what others think and we are not snobs, we have the old corrugated aluminum type. (stick & tin). We bought what we can afford and like.

Bottom line is enjoy camping.......... if it is your 1958 Spartan, 1960s Shasta, 1970s Terry, 1980, Coachman or 2016 Cardinal. We like our Pumas they seem to hold up better that some of the high dollar brands........ Camping is to have fun not a fashion show...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #25

Hey now,maybe its a (Fun Fashion Show)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #26

I personally went with a stick and tin this time. Yes, I like the aesthetic look of fiberglass, but my first trailer was a fiberglass and I got some serious delam....that turned me off from fiberglass. I will chock it off to poor workmanship and none top of the line, however I found my current trailer in the aluminum siding but I really liked it. It came in a nice cream color with decals that matched the color of my truck and also came with a front fiberglass nose cap. It really modernized the look of those stick and tin trailers. So went with it, plus the floor plan was unique to this model and it was in the price range.

There really is so much to consider on any one trailer.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #27

It is indeed personal preference. And from what I have read in this forum, and in others, the early Fiberglas units did have some all-too-frequent issues with delamination. If you find the RV you like and the floor plan that suits your needs, then it doesn't matter really. All of them have positive and negative points.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #28

We went with stick and tin because living in central California we do it have worry about water damage but sun damage. Fiberglass requires a lot more upkeep to insure the gel coat does not fade from UV. Our aluminum just takes a washing about every four months.

Aluminum can have wood rot but panels can be replaced. Fiberglass can have serface cracks (spider cracks) allowing water in and delaminating it, a little more in depth to fix but can be done.

Bottom line. Pick a flore plan you like, find a quality made trailer, purchase and enjoy

P. S. If anyone uses the argument of "aircraft are made of aluminum, not fiberglass" they are wrong, or at least making a fals blanket statement. Aircraft use both, even the old F-4 had some composit one it.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey now,maybe its a (Fun Fashion Show)! Youroo!!
Maybe

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #30

We looked at both before purchasing. I was on a business trip down to McAllen Tx (HOT HOT HOT) and the Forest River Salem dealer tried to convince us that Wood/Alum was 100x better than Alum/Fiber. He stated everything from the decals stay on better to ease of repair to "You just don't need the undercarriage to be covered down here". He also discounted rot and termites as "Myths". Nice guy, but total sales person. Probably because all he sold were Wood/Alum models.

Every other dealer we spoke with (McAllen and Corpus) said that Alum/Fiber are the way to go. They claim humidity and water damage from AC Units cooling the inside while the outside bakes is a huge mold problem that you avoid with Alum/Fiber. Also, decals will fade on all.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
He stated everything from the decals stay on better to ease of repair to "You just don't need the undercarriage to be covered down here".

You don't unless you plan on camping somewhere north of Texas. We have a covered bottom frame AND tank heaters which lets us camp pretty much anywhere we like, and are likely to go. We have only used the tank heaters once when up in the mountains, but it is nice to know you have them. DO get an enclosed frame as it also keeps small rocks and road junk out of your frame and from nicking the wiring. And he is obviously commission based!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #32

Not all fiberglass is " fiberglass " ! All smooth skin stuff is not the same ! What is it called , faralon or some such is not very good at holding up !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaz3 View Post
We went with stick and tin because living in central California we do it have worry about water damage but sun damage. Fiberglass requires a lot more upkeep to insure the gel coat does not fade from UV. Our aluminum just takes a washing about every four months.

Aluminum can have wood rot but panels can be replaced. Fiberglass can have serface cracks (spider cracks) allowing water in and delaminating it, a little more in depth to fix but can be done.

Bottom line. Pick a flore plan you like, find a quality made trailer, purchase and enjoy

P. S. If anyone uses the argument of "aircraft are made of aluminum, not fiberglass" they are wrong, or at least making a fals blanket statement. Aircraft use both, even the old F-4 had some composit one it.
Better watch out!!!! The Kalifornia water police will get ya!
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #34

I feel I need to say something... I personally would seek a metal and stick trailer... I am scared to death of cracking and delam issues(I read too much here). I hope it's not as bad as it looks..

1. China tires will kill you
2. No electric protection you will fry your unit
3. New a/c units are junk
4. Stick/tin units are cheap and ugly(I actually like them)
5. Fiberglass units crack and delam
6. Newer hydraulic slides leak
7. Other(cable?) get out of time or quit..then fall open on highway
8. Your roof will leak...soon

Just a few in my head
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I feel I need to say something... I personally would seek a metal and stick trailer... I am scared to death of cracking and delam issues(I read too much here). I hope it's not as bad as it looks..

1. China tires will kill you
2. No electric protection you will fry your unit
3. New a/c units are junk
4. Stick/tin units are cheap and ugly(I actually like them)
5. Fiberglass units crack and delam
6. Newer hydraulic slides leak
7. Other(cable?) get out of time or quit..then fall open on highway
8. Your roof will leak...soon

Just a few in my head
Wow...so you are tent camping now?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #36
Who Dares, Wins

We had a 2306 Rockwood unit that was fiberglass. We liked it and did not seem to hard to keep nice. We now have a metal sided Greywolf. It is I guess considered "A cheaper price point" than our Rockwood so I am told but I like it just as much if not more. We loved the floor plan and the colors of the outside drew us right in. Sure I'll dent it if I hit it with the mower but I guess I'll just be careful.

As for it being of lesser quality or not as ritzy as the Rockwood, I think this was build better than the Rockwood. Less stuff falling off due to using staples to hold it all together. Get what you like, get what you can afford. They are all the same in the end.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Wow...so you are tent camping now?
Well no.. The floors can leak, the tent flys are NEVER waterproof and the SPIDERS!!!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Pretty basic to me---do you want an aluminum frame with fiberglass walls or a wood frame with thin sheets of aluminum covering it? No brainer to me, I'll pass on the stick and tin!

I'm not opposed to fiberglass trailers- but you do know that the fiberglass is paper thin, right?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm not opposed to fiberglass trailers- but you do know that the fiberglass is paper thin, right?
So is Aluminum.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Better watch out!!!! The Kalifornia water police will get ya!
We are directly affected by the "water police" and the politicians who own this state. No worries though, the four times a year wash happen when it rains.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass