Old 02-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #11
I have an '05 F350 Crewcab with the short bed and a Reese manual slider. I cannot get to 90 degrees without sliding, but I have only had to activate the slide two times. My FW has the new style corner cutouts, too. My dealer told me he never knows if a truck/FW combo will work without a slider until he sees the particular truck and FW mated up, and I believe he's right. I previously had an F150 Supercrew with the 5-1/2' bed and a PullRite Superglide auto slider and I can't say enough about how good that worked and highly recommend it to anyone wanting a slider.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
I use the super glide. Getting hitched and unhitched takes getting used to. I like the auto slide.

Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #13
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Used a sidewinder

When I converted over form a F-150 with a Pulrite slider (SHEESH, it was heavy) I acquired a 2014 F-250 short bed, I removed the standard king pin hitch from the fifth wheel, replaced it with a "SIDEWINDER" revolution hitch and installed a REESE 16K hitch in the F-250. I now can turn 90° with plenty of clearance.
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #14
My old rail PullRite Superglide was heavy for getting in and out--but pulled our 14k rig like a dream on our '07 F250 (6.5 ft bed). Upgraded rig-and new one had Sidewinder pinbox, So went to standard hitch--on puck system.
But 11 months later Sidewinder/Revolution pinbox developed a problem, and we had to lock it in the standard fixed position.
So we went back to the newer (and lighter) Pullrite Superglide on puck system; and man are we glad to have that hitch again. We've always found it easier to hitch and Automatic slider Cannot be recommended strongly enough.
Too many campground manager stories about forgetting to manually engage slider to not recommend an automatic slider.
2014 8528 IKWS
Ford F-250 Diesel
Cassie the therapy dog and Cricket the Cairn
Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #15
Gold Miner At Heart
I have always and currently use a Chevrolet 2500HD short bed with a 16K REESE KWIK SLIDE. That being said as mentioned above you have to remember and use common sense when backing. In 18 years I've only actually used the slide two times that I remember when the camping spot was real tight. And (knock on wood) I've never hit the cab. I have however caught the top of the back bed rail twice before backing into a steep slope spot. So, The main thing to remember from this post is common sense. Take your time and keep checking the 5er and the cab. ��
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
When I converted over form a F-150 with a Pulrite slider (SHEESH, it was heavy) I acquired a 2014 F-250 short bed, I removed the standard king pin hitch from the fifth wheel, replaced it with a "SIDEWINDER" revolution hitch and installed a REESE 16K hitch in the F-250. I now can turn 90° with plenty of clearance.
That's my setup except truck is a 2015. My 5er came with the Reese pin box. It works like a champ. 90 deg, no problem.
2014 Shasta Phoenix 32RE 5th wheel.
2015 F250 crew cab 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4.
clicker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #17
I've got a 2010 F350 SD CC with the 6.75' bed and 2011 Crusader 320RLT. Hitch is a Reese 15K slider. Pretty simple and straight forward set up and it works great. Haven't had to back into any really tight sites, but did have to do some fancy maneuvers when the only gas pump is sight was on the inside of the island at a Cumberland Farms. You'll probably need a slider, but my limited experience says that you won't need anything really fancy.

2010 F350 Lariat SD/CC V-10
2011 Crusader 320 RLT
rovinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
I have a ford 250 short bed towing a crusader. I use the pull rite autoslider myself and love it. The only downside you will here is that it's heavy. Like someone else said I load and unload with my jd front end loader. I did handle it by myself a few times in the past but it was a real gut buster! Mfg say that new front nose caps you don't need slider but I wasn't going to chance it. Not worth it to me. If I already had a std hitch I would try it on a large open parking lot and see how close things come.
Todouble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #19
Dodge RAM 3500 with 6'4" bed, using a gooseneck adapter and love it!
atcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Mieujhur View Post
Hi, well my '98 Dodge diesel got totalled by an idiot hit and run. We just bought a 2004 Ford 350 King Ranch and went from an 8ft bed to a 6.75. So, standard hitch, sidewinder, slider?? What are folks using out there? We are just starting to research and could use the opinions of folks who are using them. With a 2015 Crusader does the newer front design allow us to stay with the same standard type hitch or?? Comments appreciated.

We have used a Hijacker Autoslide hitch since 2011. We just got a new one last year (the first one got damage in a logging truck wrestling match).

I have nothing but good things to say about our hitch. By the time I have made a 90 degree turn the hitch assembly has moved back 14 inches all by itself. It does work like a charm.

There are two draw backs:
1. The price is higher then other hitches
2. You can only be off 15 degrees when hooking or un-hooking.

The 15 degrees has never been an issue for us.

Here is a video of the hitch in action.

Our hitch is under bed mount and to remove the hitch, I just turn 4 pins and it comes right out and the truck box is free to use with nothing in the road.

Hijacker was originally built and manufactured in Victoria, BC. Demco bought up Hijacker about 4 years ago and they are super helpful and the service is fantastic. We also bought a glide ride pin box (also from Demco) a year ago and I wish I would have done that earlier.

If you want to talk to someone at Demco about the hitch and or the glide ride pinbox, send me a message and I can give you some contact people, phone numbers an email addresses.

We do not baby our equipment (but look after them well), they have to work every where. Right now we are on the Baja Mexico and have been boondocking on the beach and traveled some pretty rough roads. Both the hitch and the pinbox works just fine.

Anders Cortes Island, BC. Canada

Pony: 2008 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4x4, Quad Cab
Harness: Hijacker 24-AS-18 Autoslide, Demco Glide Ride Pin Box
Chuckwagon: 2011 Rockwood 8265WS
Travel Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

bed, hitch, truck