Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Short Leg...Big Fatigue

The last leg of our trip from D.C. was from Indianapolis and was the toughest. We hit big head and crosswinds on I-70 and my fuel mileage fell to 8 MPG, normally I get 10 to11 MPG. The wind was so strong that at one point it blew the trailer’s steps open. I had to pull onto the shoulder of the highway to store the steps again. That was a first for us. We only had to travel 281 miles today but I was exhausted by the time we arrived at the storage lot where we keep the trailer between trips. The rally in D.C. was awesome but it’s always good to get back home.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Glad to hear everything turned out ok!
We once had our steps blow out on us to.
Or did I phorget to put them back in....
Nope I'm stickin with they blew out.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #3

Our steps on the last fifth wheel must have been a little loose as we used to have the steps blow out all the time driving through Arizona and New Mexico with the cross wind. Two years ago when we were on our way to the Grand Canyon, they were talking about closing the freeway.

I finally made a strap out of Velcro stuck back to back to wrap around the steps.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Glad to hear everything turned out ok!
We once had our steps blow out on us to.
Or did I phorget to put them back in....
Nope I'm stickin with they blew out.

Turbs
If the steps would have blown out early in the trip I would have been questioning myself. As it was, we were just 80 miles from home and had made two pits stops already. I always do a once around checking the trailer any time we make a stop. I'm not too crazy about the design of the way the steps store on the Silverback. I'll be looking into a way to make the stored steps more secure.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #5

What a co-incidence, last year, bringing our Silverback home from Ohio under almost same wind conditions our steps blew open about four times while towing. I now use a bungee to keep them retracted! However what I think could solve the problem is carving out two small recesses (half circle) in the frame at the point where the steps reside when fully stowed. In other words they would stow and then drop down approx. 1/2 inch, then to open you would have to lift first, then pull forward to extend. I haven't done it yet (cold) but plan on it soon!!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
If the steps would have blown out early in the trip I would have been questioning myself. As it was, we were just 80 miles from home and had made two pits stops already. I always do a once around checking the trailer any time we make a stop. I'm not too crazy about the design of the way the steps store on the Silverback. I'll be looking into a way to make the stored steps more secure.

sounds like a bunji cord ordeal to me as the last op mentioned.
uuuggghhh sounds like one more step to the ole checklist !

by the way this happened with my flagstaff 3 step my sabre has a different setup but has yet to be "left" ...... blown out.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #7

Had the same problem coming back from Joliet IL to Springfield last week. DH didn't know steps were out until he got home
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote