Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

Should Damp Rid be used in TT year long?

When we purchased our first TT in January, it had a large gallon container of Damp-Rid underneath the dinette. Should something like this be kept in the camper year round, when storing for the Winter and also in the summer? We will be camping this summer on average maybe 2 times a month for short 2-3 day trips. The old container that is in there is almost all used up so I wasn't sure if we need to replace it and keep it in there all the time.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

In a word, Yes

Especially for us because we live in the hot and humid south...then again I have been in IN and it gets humid there as well

DampRid is just a good idea all around (we keep it in the 5er 24/7/365 storage or camping)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

Really depends on how you use your camper. If when you are camping you keep your box closed up tight and trap moisture from bodies, showers, and cooking, then it's a good idea to use it all the time. We, personally, only use it over winter storage but we open our camper windows as much as we can and use the exhaust fans.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

We put it in over the winter, leave it out during the summer. If the unit is opened up and allowed to air out, it really isn't necessary.

We used to do the same with our boat. Over the course of about 5 to 6 months, with the boat left in the water but closed up tight, we would get 2" to 3" of water in the bottom of each of the little 1 quart plastic containers. We generally put 3 or 4 open containers inside a 40' vessel over the winter.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

We use it in the a frame 24/7. We live in s fla. We use the damp rid that comes in bags. Real convenient and has a built in hook.
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Damp-Rid in my opinion is ineffective for such a large area. It will definitely remove moisture but once it has begun to turn to a liquid state it is no longer effective. If 120V is available a small dehumidifier is better. At home when it is really humid I let it drip into the shower or kitchen sink.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #7

During the winter months we leave our vents partially open with max air covers. When camping we have a dehumidifier we run all the time. It keeps things nice and dry and seems to help with cooling as well. We live in the south too. Never had an issue but different parts of the country may be different.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #8

Here in south central Missouri, it gets plenty humid in the summer, so we keep the vents cracked when we're not out and have her parked in the garage. Have to say a small dehumidifier sounds like a good thing when not in use. During the winter, we use the Damp Rid/Check and seems to do the job. One note, however, is we had set one of the quart sized containers in one of the stainless steel galley sinks and it tipped over when we took the MH out to 'exercise.' It was left unnoticed for over a month and created little rusty pit stains. Barkeepers Friend took them out, but have a couple of teeny-tiny cracks left. Beware!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

I use it during the winter and spring of the year, in the summer and early fall it is generally very dry here but I would not hesitate to use it all year if need be.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #10

We use it in the winter when the trailer is closed up but once we open up if it's damp we turn the dehumidifier on the chemicals sitting around where the dogs can get into it or grand kids can get into it, not a good idea.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #11

We have used Damp-Rid for 15+ years in our boats. Hot days of summer seem to create humidity in closed areas. One word of advice, if you use the hang-up type as we always did, run a piece of tape, duct works well, across the bottom of the clear bag doubled over so that if it fills up with water it does not split. That is a real mess to clean up. Never happened to us but learned that lesson from unfortunate friends.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #12

I use Damp Rid Winter and Spring. We are not very humid here in the summer. But I do use these self contained bags. Just hang them up, the Damp Rid is in the top and the water is collected in the bottom. When done just throw it away... Makes the trailer smell nice too..
DampRid 42 oz. Citrus Fresh Hanging Bag (3-Pack)-FG83CF - The Home Depot
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote