Old 02-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Looks good!
I put a large shelter logic up a few years ago. It lasted about three years, before the wind finally killed it.
Might have to look at a steel one soon. I would need it enclosed, due to a little thing we call SNOW!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
I'm waiting to see how the summer time sun lines up on the carport to determine how far down the side I'll enclose it. Cost is about $110 per 40 foot panel and if I fully enclose it that will be $440 for each side. I may only have to come down six or seven feet.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #12

We went with a Carolina Carport 18 x40 fully enclosed. I then had a metal fabricator build me a pair of doors. I can back in, open the slides, and close the doors and ride out a hurricane. The concrete pad underneath that it is bolted to plus hurricane tie downs makes it all secure. I went to a mobile home supply place and bought a mobile home door and installed that in the side of the building. Without having to open the big doors. They are steel and heavy. Should I ever do it again I will go with a 45' length as the 5th wheels are getting longer and longer.....

Old 02-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your responses!!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #14

Catching the California sun.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #15

Our "RooPort"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMarie View Post
My husband and I are going to purchase a carport for our Shamrock 25rs soon and I would love to see what all of you have. We are going to be purchasing one of the metal carports but we are unsure of what size we want to get. Space isn't an issue so we were thinking of getting one wide enough to where we can have the dinette slide out.
We have a Rockwood Roo 25RS which is just like your TT except w/ different stickers. The previous home owners had built the gravel parking spot w/ 30 amp power. We just had the metal roof added, cost $1900.00. It's roughly 30 feet deep and about 12 -14 across. I think it's about 9 feet where the roof starts curving and 11 feet at the apex. We have no problem putting the dinette out if we offset park to one side a little bit. We don't leave the back bedroom out all the time so I park it as far back as I can without the rear wall being exposed and this helps cut down on sun / moisture getting to the front of the trailer. At some point I'm going to redo the gravel to a finer grade that packs / settles better and have a poured concrete footer for the roof to attach more securely to than the cross ties. Hope this helps, good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	98942   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	98943   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	98944   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg
Views:	224
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	98945  
Nights camped so far 2017 - 16
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Roo2 View Post
We have a Rockwood Roo 25RS which is just like your TT except w/ different stickers. The previous home owners had built the gravel parking spot w/ 30 amp power. We just had the metal roof added, cost $1900.00. It's roughly 30 feet deep and about 12 -14 across. I think it's about 9 feet where the roof starts curving and 11 feet at the apex. We have no problem putting the dinette out if we offset park to one side a little bit. We don't leave the back bedroom out all the time so I park it as far back as I can without the rear wall being exposed and this helps cut down on sun / moisture getting to the front of the trailer. At some point I'm going to redo the gravel to a finer grade that packs / settles better and have a poured concrete footer for the roof to attach more securely to than the cross ties. Hope this helps, good luck!
Thank you so much! That is pretty much what I had in mind.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 AM   #17

Your welcome!
Nights camped so far 2017 - 16
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Looks good!
I put a large shelter logic up a few years ago. It lasted about three years, before the wind finally killed it.
Might have to look at a steel one soon. I would need it enclosed, due to a little thing we call SNOW!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
This Carport did Not figure in the Snow Load! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldsnow 031.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	98946  
Old 02-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Was that question for me? If so, yes. There are 20 "re-bar" rods, 40" long, driven into the ground. The bars have angle iron brackets welded to them that attach over the bottom carport brace. I watched as they pounded the rods into the ground and they turned them 180 degrees after every four hits with the sledge hammer so they were "screwed" into the ground. It appeared the bars were driven at alternate 10 degree or so angles.

The building is advertised to be able to handle 140 mph winds. If it gets that windy around here I don't think much would be left standing. The contractors' in-house inspector didn't like the placement of one of the tiedowns and had it moved about 10 inches. They had to use a chain hooked to a Kubota tractor hydraulic 3-point bar to get it out of the ground (Georgia red clay is about as strong as concrete).

Great Info !!! I have been wondering how they keep them from blowing away !!! I was thinking maybe they had to be set in concrete pillars !!!
May look into one of those this spring ???
I got a bid from a contractor to build a wooden one this summer,,, $8500 !!!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This Carport did Not figure in the Snow Load! Youroo!!

Looked pretty flimsy to me!

Need some heavy beams here.
I would go into my shelter logic, and push up, to make the snow slide off.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Tags
camper, show