Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Looked pretty flimsy to me!

Need some heavy beams here.
I would go into my shelter logic, and push up, to make the snow slide off.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
This was located in NW Ohio,and it Was Very Flimsy! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #22
Retired

I love all the pics of your structures.
We have been planning a structure for the TT and farm equipment but with the price of such a structure we decided to rent a portion of a "horse" barn at a local fair grounds with conc floor, elec. and security. Renting vs owning....5 months of rent equals 1 month loan payment. Downside...it's not in my back yard.....maybe someday we will build a structure for the TT and equipment.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0524.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	99002

Name:	IMAG0639.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	99003

Looking forward for hibernation season to end!
Until then
Happy Trails
Old 02-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
We went with a Carolina Carport 18 x40 fully enclosed. I then had a metal fabricator build me a pair of doors. I can back in, open the slides, and close the doors and ride out a hurricane. The concrete pad underneath that it is bolted to plus hurricane tie downs makes it all secure. I went to a mobile home supply place and bought a mobile home door and installed that in the side of the building. Without having to open the big doors. They are steel and heavy. Should I ever do it again I will go with a 45' length as the 5th wheels are getting longer and longer.....
Yeah, that's a humdinger carport! We don't have concrete, just gravel. You did run 50 amp power out there right?!? And water?
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #24

I finished installing the lights in my cover today. Didn't know I was finished (had planned on four overhead lights) but once I saw it at night I satisfied it will be adequate for anything I would need to be doing out there after dark. Next project is installing LED floodlights at each end shining away from the cover. At least, when I get the time. Being retired keeps me way too busy.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
I love all the pics of your structures.
We have been planning a structure for the TT and farm equipment but with the price of such a structure we decided to rent a portion of a "horse" barn at a local fair grounds with conc floor, elec. and security. Renting vs owning....5 months of rent equals 1 month loan payment. Downside...it's not in my back yard.....maybe someday we will build a structure for the TT and equipment.
Attachment 99002

Attachment 99003

Looking forward for hibernation season to end!
Until then
Happy Trails
I like that setup, but do you have a problem with dust? I had to quit keeping my enclosed utility trailer in my barn because of all the flying dust.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #26
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I like that setup, but do you have a problem with dust? I had to quit keeping my enclosed utility trailer in my barn because of all the flying dust.
During the summer/fall season the setup for this building is portable 10x10 stalls each with rubber mats and bedding. Once the season is over the building is cleaned and ready for the "hibernation" season. There is no dust, cobwebs or any signs of animal habitants. There is elec if you want to keep your battery on a trickle charger but everyone removes theirs and H2O but why would one need it... the TT is hibernating. You must remove all LP tanks for obvious reasons.
It's a great deal.

Happy Trails
Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #27

camper carport

Carolina Carport.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OLDDIGGERS View Post

Carolina Carport.
I Like It !!!
I would like to do something like that this spring,,, can you tell me the size of yours,,, and how many anchors you have ??? THANKS !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #29

carport, trailer

34' long/14'high@ center/14' opening. 8 anchors.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OLDDIGGERS View Post
34' long/14'high@ center/14' opening. 8 anchors.
I hope you mean 8 anchors per side. I was told that "code" (and the manufacturers) required a minimum of one anchor between each vertical post, with the anchors alternating from inside to outside positions.

In my deliberations prior to settling on a builder I learned that most carports are sold based on leg height. Mine has 11 foot legs but one side of the legs are actually 5.5 inches higher to compensate for slope. If I measure 18 inches in from the side I have a clearance of 12' 9" at the top. The center has a clearance of 14' 9" and measuring out from there I get 13' 10" at 2.5 feet. My TT is 12.5 feet at the top of the a/c unit so there is no problem when I park it with the left side about two feet from the edge. If I got a unit with the 13.5 height I'll have to be sure to park it in the center.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #31

I would not think that 8 anchors would not be enough !!!
Not the way the wind blows around here some times !!!
I worry about hail more than anything,,,
We had a Large hail storm a few years back,,, did about 20k damage to our home !!!
We had 80 to 90 miles an hour winds with 1/4 size hail !!!
We were very glad in only lasted a couple of minutes !!!
Destroyed our TT cover & several vent covers !!!

Does any one know of a good RV Port Co. that does business in Michigan
Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #32

This I built myself then Later I removed old concrete and resloped for it to fit new fiver. In the picture I had both fifth wheels and the wildcat had both slides open.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Building.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	99244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Just finnished.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	99245   Click image for larger version

Name:	With old and new.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	99246  

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
This I built myself then Later I removed old concrete and resloped for it to fit new fiver. In the picture I had both fifth wheels and the wildcat had both slides open.
Very Nice,,,
Wish I was still able to build my own,,, but I have gotten to old for that !!!
LOL !!!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
Onetonford, that is really nice. I would have added something like that to the back of my barn but, like Wolverine mentioned I'm a little too old to take on a project like that by myself. Actually, I probably should say I'm a little to lazy to do that. Having a contractor build it would probably cost over $10,000 and I can't justify that much expense.

Twenty years ago I built my barn for under $8,000, including a 20x40 concrete pad. I hired two day laborers from the Home Depot parking lot to help put the wall framework vertical and smooth the concrete but other than that I did it all alone. Gotta love a pneumatic nail gun.

Unfortunately, the local stores won't allow the day workers to hang out looking for work any more. Took three weeks.

The building of a 25x40 carport is really a very simple project easily done with two people. You need a few 14' step ladders and Makita type drills. When putting the sheet metal on it's easier with three people but just make sure it's not windy. Those 40' long sheets of metal will take off like an Americas Cup sailboat! It would take a full day to do (after the ground is prepped or concreted) and the savings would probably be over $1,000.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Onetonford, that is really nice. I would have added something like that to the back of my barn but, like Wolverine mentioned I'm a little too old to take on a project like that by myself. Actually, I probably should say I'm a little to lazy to do that. Having a contractor build it would probably cost over $10,000 and I can't justify that much expense.

Twenty years ago I built my barn for under $8,000, including a 20x40 concrete pad. I hired two day laborers from the Home Depot parking lot to help put the wall framework vertical and smooth the concrete but other than that I did it all alone. Gotta love a pneumatic nail gun.

Unfortunately, the local stores won't allow the day workers to hang out looking for work any more. Took three weeks.

The building of a 25x40 carport is really a very simple project easily done with two people. You need a few 14' step ladders and Makita type drills. When putting the sheet metal on it's easier with three people but just make sure it's not windy. Those 40' long sheets of metal will take off like an Americas Cup sailboat! It would take a full day to do (after the ground is prepped or concreted) and the savings would probably be over $1,000.
Sweet old barn,,, I am guessing you were not thinking RV when you built the doors ???
Old 02-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Sweet old barn,,, I am guessing you were not thinking RV when you built the doors ???
No I wasn't. Rear door originally had 8'3" clearance which gave me about ¼ inch clearance to pull the utility trailer in. Quit doing that because of all the dust the horses stirred up. Then, I removed the rear doors in order to put new stairs on the back wall for upstairs access.

I thought about remodeling the interior to get the trailer inside but that would have caused me to lose 500 sq. ft. of upstairs storage. Plus it was less expensive to just put up the carport.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #37

This is a Carolina carport that we had installed and then enclosed a few ourselves a few months later. Still have to work out what to do for the door, using a tarp for the time being. Sure does make it nice for working on the trailer being in out of the weather.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.resized.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	99417  
Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
This is a Carolina carport that we had installed and then enclosed a few ourselves a few months later. Still have to work out what to do for the door, using a tarp for the time being. Sure does make it nice for working on the trailer being in out of the weather.
VERY NICE !!!
Did you have Carolina just build the frame & Roof ???
And did you get the siding material from them ???

Am thinking about doing something like that !!!
Probably just parchel in closer ???
Old 02-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #39

Carolina did the frame and roof, really disappointed in the quality of work done by them but that is another story. In fact would recommend any company but them. We got the metal for the sides locally from a guy that gets seconds, it was a perfect match and I have yet to find a single flaw in any of it.

We have 30 amp service in it so the trailer is plugged in all the time, just wish had thought ahead and added water and dump connections like others have suggested. Still intend to add some lights overhead.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
Carolina did the frame and roof, really disappointed in the quality of work done by them but that is another story. In fact would recommend any company but them. We got the metal for the sides locally from a guy that gets seconds, it was a perfect match and I have yet to find a single flaw in any of it.

We have 30 amp service in it so the trailer is plugged in all the time, just wish had thought ahead and added water and dump connections like others have suggested. Still intend to add some lights overhead.
Thanks for the info !!!
I plan to try to find a Co. that does business in Michigan !!!

Tags
camper, show