Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

ShowerMiser - how difficult to install?

AQUA VIEW SMC001 Shower Miser

I noticed that new Rockwood trailers have this device. I like the Rockwood trailers but the Surveyor 200MBLE might be a more functional floorplan for me.

I don't see the showermiser as an option for the Surveyor trailers.
But having seen the showermisor I'm smitten and would want that. So I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get to the backside of the shower for owner installation?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

I have thought about this myself adding to my Landmark. I do use a bucket in the shower to catch cool water and let this come to room temp, use for dishes or even when warm for showering.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #3

RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello,

I have thought about this myself adding to my Landmark. I do use a bucket in the shower to catch cool water and let this come to room temp, use for dishes or even when warm for showering.
???
Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #5

Ugh, come on guys. B and B wasn't suggesting he was collecting *used* shower water. Just catching it until warmed up right out of the faucet.

This is actually a smart idea if boondocking. Also if you have a Rockwood Mini Lite because it might allow you to travel with less FW and we all know by the many posts in this forum about the Mini Lite tanks, the FW tank, is not very well supported and FALLS OUT ON THE GROUND if you travel with it full.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
Erinn

Hi - I'm not familiar with the ShowerMiser, but I purchased an Oxygenics shower head thru Amazon (recommended by another site), & we lover it; water gets hot faster & we have a LOT more pressure, now. I installed this myself, in about five mins. Erinn

ALSO - I read somewhere, to turn on BOTH elec AND propane, about 15-20 mins before taking a shower - this works as well; I get a hotter & longer shower now!

amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5MUB66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
06/01/18-11/10/18 Camped 43 days!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
...I purchased an Oxygenics shower head thru Amazon (recommended by another site), & we lover it; water gets hot faster & we have a LOT more pressure, now.
Exactly how does the Oxygenics shower head make the water hot faster?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #8
Erinn

The shower head DOESN'T make the water hot faster.

I was saying that turning on BOTH the elec & propane (for water heater) at the same time helps water get hot faster, + makes for a longer shower.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi - I'm not familiar with the ShowerMiser, but I purchased an Oxygenics shower head thru Amazon (recommended by another site), & we lover it; water gets hot faster & we have a LOT more pressure, now. I installed this myself, in about five mins. Erinn

ALSO - I read somewhere, to turn on BOTH elec AND propane, about 15-20 mins before taking a shower - this works as well; I get a hotter & longer shower now!

amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5MUB66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hi Erinn,

The ShowerMiser is quite a bit different than being an improved shower head. Even with the hot-water tank hotter, there is usually some unheated, cooled-off water in the pipe between the water heater and the shower stall. The ShowerMiser returns this clean water to the Fresh Water (FW) tanks so it isn't wasted down the sewer.

The ShowerMiser uses an extra factory-installed pipe/hose that runs back to the FW tank. Water runs in this first. When warm water starts appearing at the shower-head, one merely switches to the now warm water for that instant nice warm first wetting-down before soaping up. No precious water is wasted. In a campground with water hook-ups this wouldn't matter as much of course. But it also keeps the gray water from getting so full, if there is no sewer hook-up.

As I mentioned in another thread, I once imagined a modification by pumping, or allowing convection to force the cool water backwards down the cold water shower pipe to accomplish this. This eliminates trying to pull-or-pull another return pipe/hose through the RV frame structure in order to dribble it back into the FW tank non-pressurized filler hose.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Tausend View Post
Hi Erinn,

The ShowerMiser is quite a bit different than being an improved shower head. Even with the hot-water tank hotter, there is usually some unheated, cooled-off water in the pipe between the water heater and the shower stall. The ShowerMiser returns this clean water to the Fresh Water (FW) tanks so it isn't wasted down the sewer.

The ShowerMiser uses an extra factory-installed pipe/hose that runs back to the FW tank. Water runs in this first. When warm water starts appearing at the shower-head, one merely switches to the now warm water for that instant nice warm first wetting-down before soaping up. No precious water is wasted. In a campground with water hook-ups this wouldn't matter as much of course. But it also keeps the gray water from getting so full, if there is no sewer hook-up.

As I mentioned in another thread, I once imagined a modification by pumping, or allowing convection to force the cool water backwards down the cold water shower pipe to accomplish this. This eliminates trying to pull-or-pull another return pipe/hose through the RV frame structure in order to dribble it back into the FW tank non-pressurized filler hose.

Wes
A factory plumbing diagram posted in a thread a couple weeks ago confirmed they are doing just that... plumbing the return into the cold supply line and not clear back to the tank/filler.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #11
Erinn

Hi Wes -

Thanks much for the explanation, and for the "enlightenment!" (Perhaps if we get one, I may be able to get the DH to actually USE our shower?!)

Cheers & good luck, Erinn
Old 05-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi Wes -

Thanks much for the explanation, and for the "enlightenment!" (Perhaps if we get one, I may be able to get the DH to actually USE our shower?!)

Cheers & good luck, Erinn
You are welcome, Erinn.

Our current RV has the shower very close to the hot water which makes it warm up quickly. Our previous RV had a shower quite a distance from the hot water and it was that which made me contemplate a miserly improvement.

For convenience, we use our RV shower all the time, even when we are in a campground with free warm public showers. We practice "Navy showers", quick wet, faucet off to soap, quick rinse. Makes the line shorter too.
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
A factory plumbing diagram posted in a thread a couple weeks ago confirmed they are doing just that... plumbing the return into the cold supply line and not clear back to the tank/filler.
Thanks, 5picker, very interesting; I'll look for it.
Wes
Old 05-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #13

You can buy it and add it yourself if you're handy.

https://www.amazon.com/AQUA-VIEW-SMC.../dp/B01LZ1TFDU

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Where is that posted? If I understand, you are saying that the Showermiser device connects to both hot and cold water line? And when the lever is in open then the hot water line runs continously back down the cold line to where exactly? Where does the cold line return to (or come from) in RV plumbing? Does it just go to the FW tank?

Quote:
HOW TO INSTALL:
SHOWERMI$ER connects anywhere on the non-pressurized side of the fresh water system, (for example, the fresh water tank or the input side of the water pump).

Simply remove the shower head and attach the SHOWERMI$ER unit.
Line up and mark where the return line will be.
Drill a single hole (using a hole saw) in the shower wall through to the inside wall where the other plumbing is maintained.
Using the provided lock nut and washer, tighten the SHOWERMI$ER snugly against the wall.
Using a return line with a 1/2″ female pipe thread fitting, attach the return line to the SHOWERMI$ER unit.
Lastly, connect the other side of the return line to anywhere it is convenient on the non-pressurized side of the fresh water system. It is easy!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehil View Post
Exactly how does the Oxygenics shower head make the water hot faster?
Magic
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Where is that posted? If I understand, you are saying that the Showermiser device connects to both hot and cold water line? And when the lever is in open then the hot water line runs continously back down the cold line to where exactly? Where does the cold line return to (or come from) in RV plumbing? Does it just go to the FW tank?
I apologize if you misunderstood my post as I should have been more clear when saying "cold supply line."

I was referring to the supply line to the pump and simply pointing out it did not have to be plumbed all the way back into the tank itself. I was not very clear.

None the less here is the thread with the diagram.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=181745

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #17

Quote:
I apologize if you misunderstood my post as I should have been more clear when saying "cold supply line."

I was referring to the supply line to the pump and simply pointing out it did not have to be plumbed all the way back into the tank itself. I was not very clear.

None the less here is the thread with the diagram.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=181745
Quote:
I probably added to the confusion by suggesting that one might return the cool pipe water directly back to the shower cold water supply by either re-pumping it backwards with an extra pump, or letting the warm water shower supply slowly convect back into the pressurized shower cold supply pipe. Convection should occur because the expanded warm water rising up the shower supply pipe/hose is just a tiny bit lighter than the more dense cold water running up (or down) next to it. For what it's worth(FWIW), it's part of thermodynamics in physics and the principle has been used in full size stick homes to provide instant hot water at the tap.

The reason for experimenting along this convection path is that it is considerably easier to hook up such a short-cut connection rather than tediously plumb a long, brand new return pipe/hose all the way directly back to the tank, or as shown in the diagram, a chosen shorter connection path on a possibly more-near pump intake side.

The intent is to somehow pour cool pipe water back into the freshwater tank to salvage it at any rate. Someone else suggested they already very simply did this by catching initial cool shower water in a clean container directly from the shower spout until it got warm and then physically pouring this saved clean cool water back into their freshwater(FW) fill inlet.

This sort of manual pouring will not work so easy on newer FW fillers that only fill from the pressurized garden hose home/campground screw-on water inlet. These single water inlets require one to set a valve diverter to either direct "shore" (campground) pressurized water without the pump on, or refill the FW tank as opposed to the old separate trap-door water fillers. It is possible to pour into the FW tank with a funnel arrangement when a water hose is not connected, however.

On the link so graciously given by 5picker, there was a problem with air getting into the intake water. That would only occur because the pump could find an air leak from the Shower-Miser return line (or any other air leak) easier to pump than a longer water draw from the FW tank.

There is a chance I have confused the issue further. If so, I apologize.

Wes
Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #18

I don't think running the hot line back down the cold line is going to work. I don't know anything about RV plumbing but seems likely to me that the cold line can't be forced backwards through the water pump.

Step 1 of the installation guide for Showermiser: "Showermiser connects anywhere on the non-pressurized side of the fresh water system, like the fresh water tank or the input side of the water pump."

It looks like running an additional return water line for Showermiser to return the water has to be part of the deal. That means getting behind the shower wall somehow.

The radius shower in the Surveyor 200MBLE (a model I'm interested in) looks tricky because the plumbing runs down outside corner of the trailer. Probably only accessible from under the trailer. Maybe running a nylon fish tape to pull the new water line is the best bet.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #19

No need to guess how it works, details are here: https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/
We met the inventer at his booth during a NASCAR week in Phoenix. We had it installed that same day. Absolutely love it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
No need to guess how it works, details are here: https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/
We met the inventer at his booth during a NASCAR week in Phoenix. We had it installed that same day. Absolutely love it.
I'm guessing about how to install it, not how it works. Did they have to cut into a wall behind the shower to install yours?

Tags
show, shower