Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #21

Chalk it up as a learned error and put it in the never do again bank. First trip out last year with our new TT, I kissed a cement gas pump barrier post and damaged the fiberglass and left red streaks along the side.

Insurance covered it, but took about 6 months in the shop to repair and get all the right parts.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #22

We got our first two weeks ago bringing it home from some internal repairs. Narrow curvy road and had someone round a curve into my lane. Went too far right and clipped a road sign. Fortunately just have a long scratch down the side.
sleepybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #23

The first scratch or dent is the worst. Be glad you have that out of the way! Over the years we've done MANY dumb things but we won't detail them here lol.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #24
Dr Travel

Roof time

Hey, why not just pull into a La Quinta Inn towing a fiver, ignore the low roof, and jam the rig tight in there so it cannot get out. Police, tow truck, building inspectors...oh, it was fun.

Completely new roof installed at Rockwood's factory in Indiana.Of course, I had to tow the beast - in rain!! - from northern NJ to get it replaced. Could see inside the fifth wheel, and I duck taped tarps on there and fortunately they held the whole way to Indiana.

Ooops.

Love State Farm...

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #25

We have a brand new 35.5' pull behind Camper! Got it home OK but taking it back to dealer for minor warranty work REAR END hits Sub Division brick wall. How about $900.00 in fiberglass repair!! The Brick Wall still looks nice!!
fkwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #26

It has been many years since I've had a TT but recall no problems. Most I hear of now are 5ers kissing the truck cab or window. 2nd most common 5er activity seems to be with tail swing as the tail can be far behind the trailer wheels. HHMMm 13' comes to mind. Anyway ~~ I belong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Swingers Club.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	173323  
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #27

Big mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1 View Post
I'm so upset about this. We had our brand new Salem Cruise Lite out last weekend. Third time its been out. We arrived home and as I was backing the trailer in to the drive I cut it too tight and hit the front of the trailer with the tail light on my truck! I know better! Cannot believe I was paying such little attention!

It put a small surface ding in the trailer and a small scratch on the tail light of my truck. Luckily a sticker over the ding all but covers it, and the tail has a tiny scratch. Luckily it wasn't worse, I must have stopped cutting it just in the nick of time.

Still makes me sick as the truck and trailer are both brand new. Anyone else ever make a stupid mistake that they could have shed tears over?

I am a complete newbie to the tt as it's our first but I back trailers every single day at work.
We were delayed on the highway in Ohio due to an accident so we pulled into our destination camp well after dark. The owner, who waited for us to arrive after hours gave us out site that was slanted fron to back AND side to side. Our 5th wheel slid backward and thankfully the emergency brake brought it to a halt before it rolled into the units behind us. Never the less, it caused over $3500 in insurance claims to fix the damage to our truck and even more to the 5th wheel. We are still paying a premium on our insurance costs because they called it 2 accidents. We will never go back to that campground again.
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #28

I was backing a brand new 5er in my spot, never seen the corner of a concrete table, the concrete didn't give. The damage was a hole in the unit and a crushed latter. Things happen to everyone...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
It has been many years since I've had a TT but recall no problems. Most I hear of now are 5ers kissing the truck cab or window. 2nd most common 5er activity seems to be with tail swing as the tail can be far behind the trailer wheels. HHMMm 13' comes to mind. Anyway ~~ I belong

x2, my old 5er had one heck of a whale tail and I put an American Eagle's mirror through my wall.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #30

We use the beetle method....

We were really worried our first trip but fortunately we only had a problem unhitching our weight distribution hitch on a hill. Our time will come but slow and steady wins the race! Click on the pic to see her go....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n8fyll8vQj1tq0kzqo1_500.gif
Views:	464
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	173326  
eggman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayart View Post
We were delayed on the highway in Ohio due to an accident so we pulled into our destination camp well after dark. The owner, who waited for us to arrive after hours gave us out site that was slanted fron to back AND side to side. Our 5th wheel slid backward and thankfully the emergency brake brought it to a halt before it rolled into the units behind us. Never the less, it caused over $3500 in insurance claims to fix the damage to our truck and even more to the 5th wheel. We are still paying a premium on our insurance costs because they called it 2 accidents. We will never go back to that campground again.
Did the 5er roll over the wheel chocks?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Did the 5er roll over the wheel chocks?
Guess who forgot to put the chocks under the wheels for the first time ever. Still I don’t think They would have held because of all the jumpin’ I had to do in the truck bed to try to get it off the hitch on steep ground angles there, while DH jiggled the hitch lever. I think we woke the whole campground that night just with blue words alone. They came from afar to tell US their stories...just what we wanted to hear.
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #33

Last September I clipped the back corner of a car that had stopped on the ramp entrance to Mt. Rushmore. They were looking at the signs and trying to figure out if they were going to go in or not. Well I swung wide to go around but obviously not wide enough. Took out his taillight and broke a side clearance light, cracked my plastic fender and took the cover off my side outlet. Was able to get light and outlet cover in Rapid City and the rest is still waiting for me to get Round_Two_It. ;-) My Dad had all sorts of accidents with his rigs. Was hoping I could avoid that.
RollingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #34

My stupid mistake in 2005 The back end of my 42ft 5th wheel hit a gas pump as i was making a turn.
Jdb95661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #35
Ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Now you can relax a little. The first ding is always the hardest. My DH got too close to a tree in our driveway and took off the rear awning, which pulled off the front of the awning, bashed in the top rear corner, which tore a section of wallboard over the back door last September. Scratched decals and paint when the awning arms swung down, scratching the side. Over seven grand later, we got it back. He never heard me yelling. We now make sure the radio is off and his window is down when parking it.
Been there, done stuff that makes no sense after the fact. Backed into awnimg on our home. DAH We solved the problem of communication by purchasing little hand held two way radios. We do not have 2 cell phones so, we bought the radios. At the campsite or home I hop out and direct DH with out yelling or miss Communications. Has worked well for us. My DH has done a wonderful job and continues to amaze me with his backing ability. I am not so talented!
Old 05-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #36

There are only two groups of RVers, those who have screwed up, and those who will screw up!

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #37

Experience is a $0.10 word for saying that you have messed up a lot.

I've got lots of experience!
fredcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1 View Post
I'm so upset about this. We had our brand new Salem Cruise Lite out last weekend. Third time its been out. We arrived home and as I was backing the trailer in to the drive I cut it too tight and hit the front of the trailer with the tail light on my truck! I know better! Cannot believe I was paying such little attention!

It put a small surface ding in the trailer and a small scratch on the tail light of my truck. Luckily a sticker over the ding all but covers it, and the tail has a tiny scratch. Luckily it wasn't worse, I must have stopped cutting it just in the nick of time.

Still makes me sick as the truck and trailer are both brand new. Anyone else ever make a stupid mistake that they could have shed tears over?

I am a complete newbie to the tt as it's our first but I back trailers every single day at work.
Ya, I may have done that once. It was just after a holiday weekend and we stayed over to camp in peace. Well, there was one other as well. I did a flawless job of launching the boat using our Class C.

Then I went to park. While backing up into a parking place at the boat ramp, I managed to back into a boat trailer with our boat trailer. The owners were out on the lake, so I left them a note. My audience on this maneuver was DW and the two kids. It wasn't a matter that I hit a parked trailer that they questioned. It was that it was the only other veh and trailer in this very large parking lot .
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #39

left my tailgate down twice backing up,matching dents in tailgate 1 left 1 right side.
bushdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushdad View Post
left my tailgate down twice backing up,matching dents in tailgate 1 left 1 right side.
Somebody is always copying my style! ......