Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

Sickened over stupid mistake!

I'm so upset about this. We had our brand new Salem Cruise Lite out last weekend. Third time its been out. We arrived home and as I was backing the trailer in to the drive I cut it too tight and hit the front of the trailer with the tail light on my truck! I know better! Cannot believe I was paying such little attention!

It put a small surface ding in the trailer and a small scratch on the tail light of my truck. Luckily a sticker over the ding all but covers it, and the tail has a tiny scratch. Luckily it wasn't worse, I must have stopped cutting it just in the nick of time.

Still makes me sick as the truck and trailer are both brand new. Anyone else ever make a stupid mistake that they could have shed tears over?

I am a complete newbie to the tt as it's our first but I back trailers every single day at work.
Jmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
we have all done something stupid... Chalk it up to learning something. Yur truck can be fixed.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

Now you can relax a little. The first ding is always the hardest. My DH got too close to a tree in our driveway and took off the rear awning, which pulled off the front of the awning, bashed in the top rear corner, which tore a section of wallboard over the back door last September. Scratched decals and paint when the awning arms swung down, scratching the side. Over seven grand later, we got it back. He never heard me yelling. We now make sure the radio is off and his window is down when parking it.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

Stuff happens.
There used to be a story going around about a guy buying a new car and the first thing he did was go out and put a dent in it. Never had to worry about denting it after that.
Fix it and move on.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1 View Post
Anyone else ever make a stupid mistake that they could have shed tears over?
Not lifting the toilet seat?
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

If it will make you feel better, keep your eyes on fifth wheel TV's you will see several each season with severely dented bed rails from forgetting to latch their fifth wheel, or neglecting to drop their landing gear.....makes me cringe every time I see the damage.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #7

First time out with new camper and was making a turn in the campground. DW said are you sure you can make the turn, I said yes. DW said are you sure, I yelled at DW and said I had it. I had it alright, a hole in camper and dented corner of truck. $500.00 later you couldn’t even tell the camper ever had a hole. It wasn’t the first hole I had put in a camper
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

I did the same thing with my truck and trailer. I only scraped a little paint on front of trailer and some scratches on the truck tail light. It made me sick for awhile. I don't even know when it happened.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

Years ago I was setting beside the 5th wheel, under the canopy, relaxing. A guy pulled into a spot just in front me. He a brand new truck and 5th wheel. Both still had the new dealers tags on them. I watched him set up and could tell it all seemed to be new to him. Well, he got it all set up and jumped in his truck, but before I could get his attention he took his tailgate off. Forgot to lower it!!
I felt terrible for him.

I'm not telling any of my many mistakes!!!!!!
I John 5:13
2007 Silverback 30LSTS
2006 F250 Super Duty Crew 6.0
Rollin Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #10

Brand new fifth wheel, backing into enclosed storage, hit the wall - $13,000 in damage. Thank you Farm Bureau.

Coming out of enclosed storage, door wasn't fully up. Paid for that one myself.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #11

Hey don't beat yourself up stupid things are what make camping different from sitting home being bored. We have all been there learn and move forward.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #12
"On the road again"

A guy in a spot next to use didn't check before pulling out his slide - and, sure enough, the electric pedestal was too close. Nice under-curl to his sheet metal now.

Those things are going to happen - we're all going to make our own mistakes and blunders. All we can do is move on and live with them or get them repaired.

I'm with Rollin Okie when it comes to sharing MY mistakes and blunders. :-)

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #13

Our motorhome was a rental for a season so it came pre-scratched. We found out why on the first trip, as it is near impossible to avoid tree branches.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:32 AM   #14

I jacknifed mine backing in the driveway. Cost we $1,000 to repair the truck, and I didn't even realized I had done it!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #15

EVERYBODY on here has made Blunders,if they say otherwise they are Fake News! Youroo!!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #16

First trip ever in our Sunseeker. We were putting in slides and I heard a crunching sound. Didn't realize the top of our sewage compartment door wouldn't clear the bedroom slide if left open. I'm reminded of it every trip thanks to the big crack in the door. It happens. Actually figured if that was the worst that could happen we'd be okay.
jbmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #17

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
Now you've got the 'first' over with

The day we brought home our avalanche, we got out, left the keys on the console while we carried some sacks to the door. Got 15 feet away and hear Beep Beep Beep!, The truck had locked itself with the keys lying on the seat and was laughing at us. So we had AAA out within our first hour of ownership jimmying the door open.

30 minutes later we stop to let a train go by, not realizing exactly HOW much longer the truck hood was. Wooden arms came down WHAP WHAP WHAP. Now a big dent in the hood. DH was so mortified that he parked it on the garage for several days until he could get it in the shop.
So happy to have you in the club!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Now you can relax a little. The first ding is always the hardest. My DH got too close to a tree in our driveway and took off the rear awning, which pulled off the front of the awning, bashed in the top rear corner, which tore a section of wallboard over the back door last September. Scratched decals and paint when the awning arms swung down, scratching the side. Over seven grand later, we got it back. He never heard me yelling. We now make sure the radio is off and his window is down when parking it.
We gave up on yelling a long time ago. Make certain DH can see you in his side mirror and that you are clear of the trailer. Then do hand signals to help him park. If you have to move from one side of the rig to another, make certain he is stopped and won't move til he can see you from the other mirror and you give him a hand sign to continue.

We have friends who use hand held radios, but that doesn't work well when one of you is hard-of-hearing.

That said.... we have scratches and dings too. It just indicates that you're actually using the rig and having fun.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #19

From our tent to our PUP to our current trailer, the 'OH NO's" are many.
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #20

One time my ex "guided" me right into a mountain and then raised cane with me for breaking the bumper cover.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote