Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear the news, John, but happy to hear you have a new one lined up with the feds. All the best to you in the new position!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

Sorry about your news, it can be scary at times. I had it happen to me years ago while in Calif. Worked 14.5 years in the electronics business for a company building memory testers. One year they decided to layoff everyone that had been there over 10 years. One guy had 19.5 years, 6 more months for a full 20 year retirement and they let him go. We were making good money and getting great benefits with lots of earned vacation time. I had to take a 30% cut in pay for my next job which later relocated to Chicago. I didn't want to go so I took another 30% cut in pay for the next job. House payments and kids make you do that. The electronics business was starting to crumble at that time. I thought I had a marriage going with that first company. What I learned through all this is that working for a place is strictly business. You work 40 hours a week, they pay you and you are even. If they want to get rid of you that following Monday after payday they can and will, if you want to quit and move on you can and should..Kind of sad but that is how it is...It's strictly business. I read a book before our current president took office. It was about how in the years to come people would be working for less pay and less benefits. With the present economy that is exactly what is happening. Good luck to you, I wish you the best......

Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

Thanks to all for all the words of encouragement. We are hoping to weather this storm and come out stronger when the dust all settles.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
Happy Member

Sorry to hear that and I agree with others - than god you have something else lined up (at least to make do).

I'm in the tech world as well and there has been some close calls at times but we have survived...the forecast for this year looks pretty gloomy as our company is up for sale......I'm looking before the hatchet drops after 15 years.

You are not alone in the journey - best wishes to you and your family.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
TeresaInCAL

YIKES! That really stinks! Glad you were offered another job. At least you know that in your field, IT will always be needed, and you might even find a sweeter deal somewhere else.
GOOD IT people are in demand here in CA.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
Sorry about your news, it can be scary at times. I had it happen to me years ago while in Calif. Worked 14.5 years in the electronics business for a company building memory testers. One year they decided to layoff everyone that had been there over 10 years. One guy had 19.5 years, 6 more months for a full 20 year retirement and they let him go. We were making good money and getting great benefits with lots of earned vacation time. I had to take a 30% cut in pay for my next job which later relocated to Chicago. I didn't want to go so I took another 30% cut in pay for the next job. House payments and kids make you do that. The electronics business was starting to crumble at that time. I thought I had a marriage going with that first company. What I learned through all this is that working for a place is strictly business. You work 40 hours a week, they pay you and you are even. If they want to get rid of you that following Monday after payday they can and will, if you want to quit and move on you can and should..Kind of sad but that is how it is...It's strictly business. I read a book before our current president took office. It was about how in the years to come people would be working for less pay and less benefits. With the present economy that is exactly what is happening. Good luck to you, I wish you the best......
Laid off people with more than 10 years? This stinks of a company letting people go to keep them from becoming vested and paying them retirement benefits, there are laws against this, you should speak to an attorney.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #17

Sorry to hear that. If I hear anything coming up, I'll shoot it your way. Not sure if your interested in commuting to the next city or not. My brother works IT for the Prov gov't. Good Luck
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
Laid off people with more than 10 years? This stinks of a company letting people go to keep them from becoming vested and paying them retirement benefits, there are laws against this, you should speak to an attorney.
This happened many years ago. The company was a very big world wide organization, I'm sure they made sure that what they did was legal. Of course that is what they were trying to do, but there is no way they were going to admit that. All they have to do is say your job is no longer needed and they are done.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
This happened many years ago. The company was a very big world wide organization, I'm sure they made sure that what they did was legal. Of course that is what they were trying to do, but there is no way they were going to admit that. All they have to do is say your job is no longer needed and they are done.
Perhaps your correct too much time has gone by, companies will always give a different reason. If they are sued under the law governing this and the suing attorney shows cause with examples of the companies repeated actions with people close to retirement vesting the company would have to show the type of work being performed was in fact eliminated and not still being done under a different label (job title) by younger people. Well enough on this I don't want to hijack this thread any further.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #20
Denver, CO

They never layoff the executives, they just give them golden parachutes. There is corporate loyalty, just not for the rank and file or middle managers. The execs. always get treated well