Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Wanna Be Camper

Sigh Just became a victim of government restructuring

I guess a person kind of knows when you are a contractor for the government that your job always hangs in the balance but you just try and hope things go as you have them laid out. Well turns out our plan came to a screaming halt yesterday when 2 of us got our dear John letters effective Mar 31st. I have been at this particular job for 2 months shy of 15 years as the contract manager /senior network administrator but the Gov has changed they way it's network management is being done so my crew of techs and help desk guys got renewed and we lost the network management positions. The owners of the company have however offered me a position as the head of a new division of the company they are just starting up. It is a very exciting challenge in the IT world as it continues to evolve and to be at the head of this new division will be great. Only thing is as this is a new startup I took a pay cut of over 50% till I can get the division making money.
So there will be some serious restructuring of our lifestyle and finances short term which means our poor old V-Lite will be sitting for a year. But in reality I am just hoping I can do enough financial shuffling to be able to keep all our lifestyle toys while we weather out this bump in the road.

At the end of the day though I am thank full to still have a job as the lady who was my operations administrator has been terminated with no chance of a company move.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your situation, I have gone through re-organizations a few times and no the feeling. Hope for the best......
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
I guess a person kind of knows when you are a contractor for the government that your job always hangs in the balance but you just try and hope things go as you have them laid out. Well turns out our plan came to a screaming halt yesterday when 2 of us got our dear John letters effective Mar 31st. I have been at this particular job for 2 months shy of 15 years as the contract manager /senior network administrator but the Gov has changed they way it's network management is being done so my crew of techs and help desk guys got renewed and we lost the network management positions. The owners of the company have however offered me a position as the head of a new division of the company they are just starting up. It is a very exciting challenge in the IT world as it continues to evolve and to be at the head of this new division will be great. Only thing is as this is a new startup I took a pay cut of over 50% till I can get the division making money.
So there will be some serious restructuring of our lifestyle and finances short term which means our poor old V-Lite will be sitting for a year. But in reality I am just hoping I can do enough financial shuffling to be able to keep all our lifestyle toys while we weather out this bump in the road.

At the end of the day though I am thank full to still have a job as the lady who was my operations administrator has been terminated with no chance of a company move.
Owww. Sorry to hear that, John. Good luck with the new start-up division.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

Sorry to hear that, but, look at the bright side, you got offered another job ! The paycut will suck but it is better than looking for a job with nothing coming in. Been there, done that ! Dreading if and when it will happen again .....

Good luck with your new position !
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about that, same here after 18 years, (2 years ago) not easy but with God's help we have managed.
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

Oh man sorry to hear that John. I hope everything works out in the end for you.

Were you contracted with the federal or provincial government?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_J View Post
Oh man sorry to hear that John. I hope everything works out in the end for you.

Were you contracted with the federal or provincial government?
Federal

John & Deb
Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry to hear that.

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #9

Sorry to hear about your job. I know it's not much but I guess the only good thing is that you did get offered a new position. Hope things work out for you.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
DDC

Sorry to hear about that, my daughter went through this and the one positive thing was that being in Canada the tax man was the major loser.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear the news, John, but happy to hear you have a new one lined up with the feds. All the best to you in the new position!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

Sorry about your news, it can be scary at times. I had it happen to me years ago while in Calif. Worked 14.5 years in the electronics business for a company building memory testers. One year they decided to layoff everyone that had been there over 10 years. One guy had 19.5 years, 6 more months for a full 20 year retirement and they let him go. We were making good money and getting great benefits with lots of earned vacation time. I had to take a 30% cut in pay for my next job which later relocated to Chicago. I didn't want to go so I took another 30% cut in pay for the next job. House payments and kids make you do that. The electronics business was starting to crumble at that time. I thought I had a marriage going with that first company. What I learned through all this is that working for a place is strictly business. You work 40 hours a week, they pay you and you are even. If they want to get rid of you that following Monday after payday they can and will, if you want to quit and move on you can and should..Kind of sad but that is how it is...It's strictly business. I read a book before our current president took office. It was about how in the years to come people would be working for less pay and less benefits. With the present economy that is exactly what is happening. Good luck to you, I wish you the best......
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

Thanks to all for all the words of encouragement. We are hoping to weather this storm and come out stronger when the dust all settles.

John & Deb
Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
Happy Member

Sorry to hear that and I agree with others - than god you have something else lined up (at least to make do).

I'm in the tech world as well and there has been some close calls at times but we have survived...the forecast for this year looks pretty gloomy as our company is up for sale......I'm looking before the hatchet drops after 15 years.

You are not alone in the journey - best wishes to you and your family.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
TeresaInCAL

YIKES! That really stinks! Glad you were offered another job. At least you know that in your field, IT will always be needed, and you might even find a sweeter deal somewhere else.
GOOD IT people are in demand here in CA.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
Sorry about your news, it can be scary at times. I had it happen to me years ago while in Calif. Worked 14.5 years in the electronics business for a company building memory testers. One year they decided to layoff everyone that had been there over 10 years. One guy had 19.5 years, 6 more months for a full 20 year retirement and they let him go. We were making good money and getting great benefits with lots of earned vacation time. I had to take a 30% cut in pay for my next job which later relocated to Chicago. I didn't want to go so I took another 30% cut in pay for the next job. House payments and kids make you do that. The electronics business was starting to crumble at that time. I thought I had a marriage going with that first company. What I learned through all this is that working for a place is strictly business. You work 40 hours a week, they pay you and you are even. If they want to get rid of you that following Monday after payday they can and will, if you want to quit and move on you can and should..Kind of sad but that is how it is...It's strictly business. I read a book before our current president took office. It was about how in the years to come people would be working for less pay and less benefits. With the present economy that is exactly what is happening. Good luck to you, I wish you the best......
Laid off people with more than 10 years? This stinks of a company letting people go to keep them from becoming vested and paying them retirement benefits, there are laws against this, you should speak to an attorney.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #17

Sorry to hear that. If I hear anything coming up, I'll shoot it your way. Not sure if your interested in commuting to the next city or not. My brother works IT for the Prov gov't. Good Luck
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
Laid off people with more than 10 years? This stinks of a company letting people go to keep them from becoming vested and paying them retirement benefits, there are laws against this, you should speak to an attorney.
This happened many years ago. The company was a very big world wide organization, I'm sure they made sure that what they did was legal. Of course that is what they were trying to do, but there is no way they were going to admit that. All they have to do is say your job is no longer needed and they are done.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
This happened many years ago. The company was a very big world wide organization, I'm sure they made sure that what they did was legal. Of course that is what they were trying to do, but there is no way they were going to admit that. All they have to do is say your job is no longer needed and they are done.
Perhaps your correct too much time has gone by, companies will always give a different reason. If they are sued under the law governing this and the suing attorney shows cause with examples of the companies repeated actions with people close to retirement vesting the company would have to show the type of work being performed was in fact eliminated and not still being done under a different label (job title) by younger people. Well enough on this I don't want to hijack this thread any further.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #20
Denver, CO

They never layoff the executives, they just give them golden parachutes. There is corporate loyalty, just not for the rank and file or middle managers. The execs. always get treated well