Old 07-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

Silly question about service?

I am very new here, been lurking for a while and finally signed up last week, and new to owning a TT.
I have noticed a lot of people complain about lack of service from their service department; "been sitting there for months and not fixed yet" etc..
I've also noticed that a lot of people by parts and accessories from Amazon or Walmart, etc...

My question is, do you think the two are connected? IF you bought more items from the dealership's store, do you think they would take better care of you when it comes to repair time?

I'm not saying buy everything from them, but if you were in there several times per year and got to know the folks and they know your face I think there is a "Oh that's Mr Smith, he is a good customer, lets get him fixed up as quickly as possible" that takes place.
Most private owned stores operate this way. Any mom and pop shop (no matter what kind of store) always seem to go further towards helping their regular customers.

I understand this may not apply to giant RV dealerships that are the RV world equivalent of walmart,

Just a thought.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #2

My dealer was always great, quick service and friendly then Camping World bought them out and well, not so much anymore. I do most of my own work and hire out to a mobile service tech things I can't or won't do.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #3

I took our FR 5th wheel in for several warranty issues 10 days ago, one being the bathroom door will not close properly, all three of the door hinges are bent, screws holes stripped out, clothes rack in closest lost a screw, fell and was bent.

Wife called this morning for status, because we are going to take it on a 3-week trip to the California Redwoods on August 6th. They told her that it could take up to a month to repair it, since parts are needed.

I did get a call from service writer about door closing good. I told him to remember looking at the bent hinges and that I had loosened nearly every door screw so it would close. If I loosened them up any more, the door would fall off.

Yep, they just tell you it's that time of year when everyone is camping. You're partially correct in saying there's Mr. & Mrs. So and So, who has a thick wallet, but it just comes down to paying customers get their service first before warranty work is done. Regarding service work, which one do you think pays more?

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LT 3500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

We had to wait over two months for warranty work to be done on our Georgetown from our dealer. We buy lots of stuff from them and we still have to wait. I try to do as much as can
If I can't I have to wait.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

I doubt that buying parts for the dealer will get you any better service especially if its a Camping World as none of the departments seem to talk to each other.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

I will be picking up my 5th wheel at noon today from the dealer. I will see how much work they did perform. They told the wife that the replacement bathroom door w/frame was on back order from FR and will be more than a month out.

I believe two of the items, screws stripped out on the screen door latch and clothes rack have been fixed.

The reason I have to wait until noon today to pick up my 5'er is that it was put way back in their bull pen and a number of other units have to be moved to get it out. They will call when the new door arrived in September.

Yes, the paying customers are getting the priority service, warranty work is getting shuffled back.

Pasco, Washington
Old 07-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #7

We are having much of the same experiences! We are not happy with Camper World either. Will have to find someone new to service our RV!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

The nearest Camping world is 2 hours away, the manager of the CW store is a long time family friend ours, really enjoy shopping there. We bought our 5er at a local dealership, but it sounds like just about all large RV dealerships have service issues, not just Camping World.

Just got a call to go pickup our 5er and it will have to go back when the new door comes in.

Pasco, Washington
Old 07-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

Camping World is the WORST!

At least the one by me in Akron/Canton OH area. Doesn't matter if it was under warranty, or I paid out of pocket. Had to wait MONTHS to have simple things done, and they didn't even do everything that I was PAYING them to do. Horrible service. I've had my fiver just over a year (warranty period) and the frig is having issues. Went back to where I bought my first TT back in the 90's - took him less than 2 weeks and it was a warranty item with Dometic that he had to fight with them about. Find a good service shop and patronize them. . .
Old 07-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #10

CW called this AM. SUSPECTED warranty item ordered last week has proven to be bad. It will arrive and be installed by the end of the week. Two other items already taken care of. CW Myrtle Beach is fantastic.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service