Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #1

Sirius XM. More like Sirius and XM

Man was I irritated last night! Argh!

All the literature says Sirius XM but then you call them and in Canada the are together but not really. I have a Sirius account and the new TT came with an XM radio. Great add it to my plan as family, right? Wrong! Nope seperate companies in Canada. Financially merged and they are working on it but.... So I said hmmmm. False advertising then when your literature has Sirius XM on it. He says yep. Won't let me talk to a supervisor either.

So I got online, found a 50% off promo code and signed up!

Take that XM Sirius, or whoever you are!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Man was I irritated last night! Argh!

All the literature says Sirius XM but then you call them and in Canada the are together but not really. I have a Sirius account and the new TT came with an XM radio. Great add it to my plan as family, right? Wrong! Nope seperate companies in Canada. Financially merged and they are working on it but.... So I said hmmmm. False advertising then when your literature has Sirius XM on it. He says yep. Won't let me talk to a supervisor either.

So I got online, found a 50% off promo code and signed up!

Take that XM Sirius, or whoever you are!
I agree! I tried to merge our two accounts last summer, since my DH has Sirius and the TT has XM. I have to maintain two separate accounts. The good thing is that you can move money between the two accounts. So when I want to activate the XM for the camping season, I can do that and then suspend the Sirius service. Saves a bit on the wallet.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Had Sirius since Day One.

Then I bought the truck (GMC - XM) but used the Sirius radio from my old car and not the installed XM since I could not add the truck to my account.
Thank heaven I did not buy the aftermarket converter!

So finally we bought the Flagstaff and it came with XM SkyFi 3 so I sent away for the car kit for it; closed my Sirius account and opened an XM account with 2 radios. (I had 3 Sirius subscriptions) I tossed the 3 Sirius radios.

The Camper's SkyFi walks between the DW's car and the camper every trip.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

I agree it is a PITA! I've had XM since 2004, but my new Ford came with Sirius. New, separate, but the same, but different. Sheesh!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #5

I just wish they would share the satellites. Being up in Canada and having XM, it is easy to lose line of sight of the satellites in the mountains or when beside a building. However Sirius' satellites are much higher in the sky.

Of course, my GM also came with an XM radio, so switching over isn't quite so easy.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #6

Ah you guys really get me...lol
Been there done that bought the T-shirt and used it to wax the truck....

In the USA Lou you can do what I did.
Write Sirius Radio and tell them what you have.
I did and got this back May 2012.

Response To Your Inquiry (SiriusXM Customer Care)
Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you for contacting SiriusXM regarding your inquiry to receive a multi-radio discount for your Sirius and XM subscriptions and the transfer of your Lifetime Subscription.
We heard your concerns and made some changes.
We are making strides to enhance our billing system, which will allow SiriusXM to offer a Cross-Platform Multi-Radio Discount later this year. To address your concerns now, we can extend a discounted offer if you sign up for a one-year plan at $xxx. This will allow you to receive a multi-radio discount, no matter what platform you're on! This offer is only applicable to annual plans or greater, not monthly or quarterly plans.
Please contact us at (866) 635-2349 so we can sign you up for this great offer.

In Canada drop your subscription and use a friends address in the states.
I did that as well. Yes it works.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #7

Gee, I never had thought about Canada being any different concerning XM/Sirius radio signals. But then again, I have a daughter in Fairbanks, AK and they cannot even get XM/Sirius up there. I would not want to live without my XM radio's now. In my '07 GMC truck, in the house, and in my shop. I have an older "Roadie" unit in my shop and is set up to be removed quickly. I made a mount in the TT for it, bought an extra antennae which is mounted on the roof. Just unplug the shop unit, plug it back up in the TT and I have XM on the go.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #8

I called them Friday. 53 minutes. The first guy hung up after putting me on hold. the second guy in the Phillipines told me that he could not transfer lifetime memberships between platforms Sirius to XM but that he could do it for the truck but I would loose the lifetime after the transfer. The third person in Egypt was a gem. No really she was. She transfered teh lifetime to XM radio and waived the transfer fee. Gave me a discount on the truck reactivation and 1 yr sub at discounted rate.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

"I did and got this back May 2012."

That was really nice of them. It just took 4 years to do what they said would take only "a few months; maybe the fall"; May of 2008.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #10

Now all I need to do is figure out the XM channel and find the NASCAR one and I'm all set. USA Channels also have more than the Canadian channel line ups
Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pandora radio is free and easy on a android or iphone if you have a data plan which most all do.
just sayin!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #12

Personally my data plan would cost me more in teh long run than the SiriusXM radio coverage.
We doin't have the competition here for wireless companies that you guys do in the US.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Pandora radio is free and easy on a android or iphone if you have a data plan which most all do.
just sayin!
Do you do this?

You must have a grandfathered "unlimited" 3G plan. My AT&T plan is 2 gigabytes and month and two streaming movies (about 4 hours) kills my plan for the month. Streaming Audio over 3G sounds like another way to destroy my data plan.

How will I be able to hang out here when we travel? Between downloading maps for the moving map display and email and such we use up most of our "bytes" as it is.

Now if you stay at a campground with WiFi it is easier obviously, but how do you do that while blowin' down the highway?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Do you do this?

You must have a grandfathered "unlimited" 3G plan. My AT&T plan is 2 gigabytes and month and two streaming movies (about 4 hours) kills my plan for the month. Streaming Audio over 3G sounds like another way to destroy my data plan.

How will I be able to hang out here when we travel? Between downloading maps for the moving map display and email and such we use up most of our "bytes" as it is.

Now if you stay at a campground with WiFi it is easier obviously, but how do you do that while blowin' down the highway?

Lou,
We have us cellular and have 5gb plans and in two years have never went over.
keep in mind 90% of my posts here and web surfing are done on my phone.
we use Pandora everytime we camp 4 and 5 hours a day.
our phones are 3g samsung mesmerize first addition.
to give you an idea my battery gets charged 3 or 4 times a day I use it so much.
Pandora is just an option for you guys.
we gave up sirrius and xm long ago becusse of the hassle.
Now I will say we had Xm factory installed in our tt and I bought a 1 year plan that I could cancel at anytime . Then they prorated what I didn't use. Since I cancelled it when we winterized the camper.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lou I just looked at my 3g usage.

Since may 4th "start of month for plan" I've used 679.66mb of the 5gb plan.
@ current usage rate I'll have used 44% or 2.2gb of the 5gb available on or by June 4th.
I also failed to mention on occasion we use wifi hotspot.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #16

I am a data hog. 4G Verizon Thunderbolt. I have the unlimited plan and use it all day long. I have yet to break 3 GB!
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #17

Ok I just added XM to the truck and TT. I got the XM onyx that can go where ever. My question is I'm installing the antenna on the TT now, would using 3m automotive double side tape hurt the roof? I want to use this to not have to "permanently" mount it. Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #18

I have the Sirius app on my iPhone and pay $3.99 per month for the service. I stream the audio signal via Bluetooth to my genesis in the TT and to my trucks sound system. At work I listen all day with earbuds and at home I use an RCA to aux cable to get the signal to my stereo. I can also pop my phone onto my docking station to listen in my bedroom. All that listening from one source for $3.99 a month. I have sprints unlimited data plan so overages are not an issue.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
I have the Sirius app on my iPhone and pay $3.99 per month for the service. I stream the audio signal via Bluetooth to my genesis in the TT and to my trucks sound system. At work I listen all day with earbuds and at home I use an RCA to aux cable to get the signal to my stereo. I can also pop my phone onto my docking station to listen in my bedroom. All that listening from one source for $3.99 a month. I have sprints unlimited data plan so overages are not an issue.
I also have the app on my iPhone. I have a couple of issues with it though that stop me from using it exclusively. First is the two hour time out. For whatever reason, after about two hours, it stops, and displays the message "Keep Listening?" or "Cancel". I actually understand it, but I also have the "grandfathered" unlimited data plan. I would like to disable that "feature".

The second thing is when the phone dips down from 3G to Edge, I lose the stream. And it doesn't come back automatically. Where I am at my house, it's just far enough where I drift in and out of 3G. I expect it would be the same traveling down some of the country roads, but I haven't had to experience that yet.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad