Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #1

Sky dome in Phoenix

We Are looking for ideas for 2 sky domes in our 5th wheel. We stay in the Texas heat all summer and the heat that comes through is unreal.
They are round not the traditional square type.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

Buy some foam and cloth from Jo-Ann and make a custom one off.

You pick the color and how thick you want need it.
Cut the foam so it is a snug fit.

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores ‚€“ Shop online

Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

Thank you I have thought of that too it also has LED lights in it too.
I wish they made a cover for it like the square ones
Old 06-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #4

Would the foam plug cover the lights?

If it would I would try another plan of cool.

Would you be against using Velcro around the edge of the dome?

If not then buy one of those foil coated windshield screens cut it to match the dome and then use the Velcro to hold it in place.
If you wish you could sew on some type of edging to make it look neat.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

I also live in Texas, about 35 miles NNE of Houston and all I can offer is to go north for the summer. Good Luck
Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #6

You can buy Reflex in rolls at HD and Lowes. It is basically what Ford Idaho recommended. We use this and use 1" pieces of Velcro (white or brown depending on location) to hold it in place. Velcro at corners and half way between corners. Works well and easy to store.

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #7

Sky dome heat here too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenleader View Post
We Are looking for ideas for 2 sky domes in our 5th wheel. We stay in the Texas heat all summer and the heat that comes through is unreal.
They are round not the traditional square type.
We too live in central Texas and we too have the two sky domes. We are brand new to RVing and we went whole hog in head over heals. Bought a Phoenix 33ck and have only driven it home to the newly laid pad. We then rented out the house and have been living in it full time since early July this year.

First off we thought our single AC unit was completely shot. Then we discovered how much heat was put off by the sky domes. We immediately conspired ways to stop the light/heat.

Our final solution was to go to a hardware store and purchase an 8x12 sheet of 2in aluminum coated foam sheeting called R-Max. This stuff has a high "R" rating and is relatively expensive if you were going to use in your entire house ($20+ per sheet). The material on one side has vendor printing all over it, but the other side is shiny aluminum/silver color. So we cut it to fit the sky domes and then taped the edges with clear tape. We originally had added velcro tape but found that this stuff is so light that it just needed to slide past the velcro backing which held it in without issue.

Two nice things:
1- The one in the shower has no cloth material on it so water splashing on it isn't a problem (the edges we taped).
2- The reflective material looks fairly decent with the LEDs and reflects the light into the room very nicely.

And of course it solved a huge heat problem in the RV but we also added sheets of thin bubble core radiant barrier in the windows with blinds pulled down and we only run the indoor LED lights during the day to reduce heat.

Now to my final question: We are still running at the most 15 degrees different than the outdoor temperature. (up from 5-7 degrees before blocking the sky domes!) Is this difference normal for one 15k btu unit? Of course the dealer told us it "should be fine", and the salesman said "I only have a 13.5k in my unit". Over all, we cannot keep the until below 85+ during the day when the trees are not shading the unit. As soon as the trees shade the unit, the temp drops from the mid to upper 80s down to the 70s fairly quickly. At night it drops us into the mid 60's.

Most of what I'm hearing is that we need a second A/C unit. However this RV has pretty good insulation with radiant barrier, etc. So I'm not sure there isn't a problem with the A/C unit.

Outside of adding a RV/Car port (on the list eventually), we can't think of much else to do.

Thoughts anyone?

Mic
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

We've modified every one of ours. Pull inner panel, paint inside of outer dome, inside of inner dome, fill with insulation and resecure. No light, no heat, all good. There's some pictures in my photo album of the Forester we did. Didn't take pictures of all the others, but have done several with no issues.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #9

you could always tint the windows or just black them out with vinyl