Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Skylight Protection from Hail

Hello all,

Denver had some pretty bad hail last week and it broke the plastic skylights over the bed and bathroom. After I get them replaced, any suggestions on protection? When I asked at an RV place, they didn't know of any metal mesh or grille product that could go on top of the plastic to protect it. Do we really just have to buy new ones every time?

I am storing it outdoors (can't afford covered storage) and haven't bought a cover yet. Is that the solution?

Thanks, Karen
KPeregoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

If you are talking about skylights then skylights made of Lexan is the way to go. Clear or tinted (in numerous colors) as desired.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeregoy View Post
Hello all,

Denver had some pretty bad hail last week and it broke the plastic skylights over the bed and bathroom. After I get them replaced, any suggestions on protection? When I asked at an RV place, they didn't know of any metal mesh or grille product that could go on top of the plastic to protect it. Do we really just have to buy new ones every time?

I am storing it outdoors (can't afford covered storage) and haven't bought a cover yet. Is that the solution?

Thanks, Karen
If it's large hail, a cover isn't going to do much. You could have some perforated aluminum covers made and caulk them to the roof or lexan holds up pretty well to impacts.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Brute force approach:

Build a box out of pressure treated lumber and sit it over the skylight. Make a "handle" on the box so that it can be raised to the roof using a rope.

NEVER try to lug tools and such to the roof using the ladder. Put them all in a bucket and haul them up/down with a rope.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks, Karen
We got into some bad hail in Raton, NM last June and got the bathroom vent cover shattered on new camper. Had it replaced and a large heavier cover put over it. We have two skylights and it didn't damage them. Must have been very large hail. It was 50 cent size that got ours. Put several dents in side also. I was wishing for hearing protection also. Loudest continuous noise I have been exposed to. If you had it parked and not camping maybe build a cover as some others suggested, If camping doubt anything will help.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #6

my resolution to this problem

I found a large plastic storage container at WalMart that would fit over our skylight, used a ladder to place it over the skylight, tied a long rope to one handle for easy removal when we use the RV. If necessary, you could put weights on the cover to keep it from blowing off. Then I used MaxAir covers on vents. Works Great, Haven't seen any HAIL since!
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Made this for the skylight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skylight Cover In Flat.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	79495  
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #8

I like the Lexan idea. And I don't think I would worry too much about it happening again (kind of like the lightning doesn't strike twice idea). What are the chances of it happening again or on a recurring basis? Possible? Yes. Probable? Not really (my opinion). Of course, I don't live in a hail storm prevalent area . . . you may.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #9

Hey OC: What is the solid center of the cover for, looks like it is removable?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Hey OC: What is the solid center of the cover for, looks like it is removable?
It is removable to be able to clean the skylight, but it's been on for going on 3 yrs and we (I) have not cleaned it. We have a lot of pine trees around and thought the pine needles would get in. No problems with the pine needles so far.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #11

Thanks OC .
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #12

I really like OC's cover. I know it wouldn't offer near as much protection, but I wonder if spraying several coats/layers of white plasti-dip would help a little with hail?
Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #13

WOW, that's sure to work. My question is why do they put a skylight in an RV. What I have found, it allows a lot of heat into the RV in the summer. That poses another question, why put an opaque window in the entry door? You can't see out the glass, it becomes another source of heat in the summer and serves no purpose. Most RV have a window next to the door anyway. Then they have the nerve to sell a insulation cover for $$, I made my own. Same goes with the skylight. Ours have been covered with foil bubble insulation soon after our first trip. They allow too much heat into the RV making the AC work harder and longer. Ours never cycles in the summer heat especially out west in LV. N. What I want in our next RV is skylight and door glass DELETE, along with all roof vents, except the bathroom vent. Their just a source of heat and possible water leaks and Hail stone targets, my opinion.
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
Plain Old Member

Here's what I did with one of the two skylights in ours. I hate skylights. Both are painted / coated, insulated etc, but the kitchen one is just a little more dolled up with the LED's and such. No sun, no heat. For now, the outside is just coated with liquid roof, but the whole dome will be deleted later. Or, maybe just do a cover like OC did.
Attached Images

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Very little if any heat comes in and the light is diffused. We do like the cover.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #16

I found some insulating inserts for mine on Amazon... but it's been a while... and I'm OLD. I can't remember what they were called. I do at least remember that they came from Camco. I used a vent cover on one of my skylights, but it's plastic, and I doubt that big hail would not go through it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks, Karen
I seen someone cover with a large plastic storage bin turned over some weight added (firewood) to hold in place during storage.
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light