Old 06-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Thanks OC .

2014 Forester 3051s
2016 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2012 Sonic toad
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
I really like OC's cover. I know it wouldn't offer near as much protection, but I wonder if spraying several coats/layers of white plasti-dip would help a little with hail?

2016 Flagstaff 23LB
howie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
WOW, that's sure to work. My question is why do they put a skylight in an RV. What I have found, it allows a lot of heat into the RV in the summer. That poses another question, why put an opaque window in the entry door? You can't see out the glass, it becomes another source of heat in the summer and serves no purpose. Most RV have a window next to the door anyway. Then they have the nerve to sell a insulation cover for $$, I made my own. Same goes with the skylight. Ours have been covered with foil bubble insulation soon after our first trip. They allow too much heat into the RV making the AC work harder and longer. Ours never cycles in the summer heat especially out west in LV. N. What I want in our next RV is skylight and door glass DELETE, along with all roof vents, except the bathroom vent. Their just a source of heat and possible water leaks and Hail stone targets, my opinion.
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
Plain Old Member
Here's what I did with one of the two skylights in ours. I hate skylights. Both are painted / coated, insulated etc, but the kitchen one is just a little more dolled up with the LED's and such. No sun, no heat. For now, the outside is just coated with liquid roof, but the whole dome will be deleted later. Or, maybe just do a cover like OC did.
Attached Images
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
Mod free 5er
Very little if any heat comes in and the light is diffused. We do like the cover.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #16
I found some insulating inserts for mine on Amazon... but it's been a while... and I'm OLD. I can't remember what they were called. I do at least remember that they came from Camco. I used a vent cover on one of my skylights, but it's plastic, and I doubt that big hail would not go through it.
J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:07 AM   #17
Originally Posted by KPeregoy View Post
Hello all,

Denver had some pretty bad hail last week and it broke the plastic skylights over the bed and bathroom. After I get them replaced, any suggestions on protection? When I asked at an RV place, they didn't know of any metal mesh or grille product that could go on top of the plastic to protect it. Do we really just have to buy new ones every time?

I am storing it outdoors (can't afford covered storage) and haven't bought a cover yet. Is that the solution?

Thanks, Karen
I seen someone cover with a large plastic storage bin turned over some weight added (firewood) to hold in place during storage.

offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote