Old 06-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Skylight Protection from Hail

Hello all,

Denver had some pretty bad hail last week and it broke the plastic skylights over the bed and bathroom. After I get them replaced, any suggestions on protection? When I asked at an RV place, they didn't know of any metal mesh or grille product that could go on top of the plastic to protect it. Do we really just have to buy new ones every time?

I am storing it outdoors (can't afford covered storage) and haven't bought a cover yet. Is that the solution?

Thanks, Karen

Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

If you are talking about skylights then skylights made of Lexan is the way to go. Clear or tinted (in numerous colors) as desired.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeregoy View Post
Hello all,

Denver had some pretty bad hail last week and it broke the plastic skylights over the bed and bathroom. After I get them replaced, any suggestions on protection? When I asked at an RV place, they didn't know of any metal mesh or grille product that could go on top of the plastic to protect it. Do we really just have to buy new ones every time?

I am storing it outdoors (can't afford covered storage) and haven't bought a cover yet. Is that the solution?

Thanks, Karen
If it's large hail, a cover isn't going to do much. You could have some perforated aluminum covers made and caulk them to the roof or lexan holds up pretty well to impacts.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Brute force approach:

Build a box out of pressure treated lumber and sit it over the skylight. Make a "handle" on the box so that it can be raised to the roof using a rope.

NEVER try to lug tools and such to the roof using the ladder. Put them all in a bucket and haul them up/down with a rope.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeregoy View Post
Hello all,

Thanks, Karen
We got into some bad hail in Raton, NM last June and got the bathroom vent cover shattered on new camper. Had it replaced and a large heavier cover put over it. We have two skylights and it didn't damage them. Must have been very large hail. It was 50 cent size that got ours. Put several dents in side also. I was wishing for hearing protection also. Loudest continuous noise I have been exposed to. If you had it parked and not camping maybe build a cover as some others suggested, If camping doubt anything will help.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

my resolution to this problem

I found a large plastic storage container at WalMart that would fit over our skylight, used a ladder to place it over the skylight, tied a long rope to one handle for easy removal when we use the RV. If necessary, you could put weights on the cover to keep it from blowing off. Then I used MaxAir covers on vents. Works Great, Haven't seen any HAIL since!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Made this for the skylight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skylight Cover In Flat.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	79495  
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

I like the Lexan idea. And I don't think I would worry too much about it happening again (kind of like the lightning doesn't strike twice idea). What are the chances of it happening again or on a recurring basis? Possible? Yes. Probable? Not really (my opinion). Of course, I don't live in a hail storm prevalent area . . . you may.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

Hey OC: What is the solid center of the cover for, looks like it is removable?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Hey OC: What is the solid center of the cover for, looks like it is removable?
It is removable to be able to clean the skylight, but it's been on for going on 3 yrs and we (I) have not cleaned it. We have a lot of pine trees around and thought the pine needles would get in. No problems with the pine needles so far.

Tags
light