Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #1

Slide out and leveling

I have a question when leveling a TT. I have a FR Surveyor 24 ft with one slide out. When we get to our campsite we level the trailer as needed, and then unhook the TV. When we extend the slideout the tt inevitably leans to that side, undoing our leveling. We haven't gone out many times so we are still learning the ropes. See a great amount of info on these forums so I figured this would be a great source of information. Looking forward to any help. Thanks JP
Jrockies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
Always Learning

It’s common. Usually it isn’t enough to negatively impact anything. But if it bothers you, level the camper to be slightly high on that side so when it leans, you end up level.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrockies1 View Post
I have a question when leveling a TT. I have a FR Surveyor 24 ft with one slide out. When we get to our campsite we level the trailer as needed, and then unhook the TV. When we extend the slideout the tt inevitably leans to that side, undoing our leveling. We haven't gone out many times so we are still learning the ropes. See a great amount of info on these forums so I figured this would be a great source of information. Looking forward to any help. Thanks JP

First of all, I hope you are putting your stabilizers down before extending the slide and using some kind of pad under your stabilizers such as 2x8x10 pieces of wood or plastic pads.

We all experience this sort of thing, but generally, once initially leveled, it's just a matter of tweaking it. I know ... the stabilizers are not intended to level the trailer, but you can apply a little extra pressure on the 'down' side to make slight adjustments and then just firm up on the opposing side.

Also, when initially leveling, err on the side of your slide ..... try to avoid the slide-side being at all low. If it's a little high, then when you extend the slide ..... it may come in on the mark.

It's pretty basic, but I hope this helps a little.

John
Old 08-30-2019, 03:36 AM   #4

agree with apendydad......
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:42 AM   #5

We run into the same thing with our Windjammer clone. It has 2 slides on the same side. The bed and the couch are in the slides so basically everyone is "off center". I do as others have posted, level slide side high by at least one leveler block and then extend the slides and forget about it.
KKonyha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Thanks . We'll give it a go.JP
Jrockies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #7

1/2 a bubble off. Should work.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

To take the guesswork out of how far off-bubble to adjust for the slide-outs I first leveled our TT with the slide-outs (2 on one side) extended. Then I mounted a "5th wheel level indicator" (about $30) at the center-rear of our TT. (Front would be better for visibility but our center-front is too curved to properly mount so on the rear it went.) Before tightening the indicator's adjusting screw I retracted the slide-outs and then set the unit to indicate "level." That way, when we pull in to park the TT all we have to do is make the TT level according to the indicator. When we extend the slide-outs the whole TT is now actually level. (The indicator no longer reads "level" at that point, but who cares what it shows as long as we know the TT is level?)
BTW, my level-up process is done with the slide-outs extended (all weight still on the axles) and then I extend the stabilizers as the last step, under the theory that all the stabilizers are supposed to do is keep the TT from rocking, not support the extra weight of the slide-outs.
GFD47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #9

During the years that we had a TT with a single slide-out, we always leveled the rig first side-to-side with blocks under the tires on the low side. Then we chocked the tires,and disconnected from the tow vehicle. Then we leveled the rig with the trailer tongue jack front-to-rear. Then we lowered all four leveling stabilizers, one at each of the four corners. Only then did we extend the slide-out. This worked nearly perfectly for nearly 20 years.

Trailer frames are not rigid structures, and are relatively flexible compared to cars or trucks. We always leveled our TT before extending the slide simply to keep from inducing unnecessary "twisting" forces into the trailer structure with the slide extended.

No problems ever. We now have a Cardinal 5th wheel with 6-point hydraulic leveling system, and we use the same philosophy. Level first, then extend slides.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrockies1 View Post

I’m sending a link. This device is so simple to use. First you level your camper perfectly with all slides out. Push one button and it saves information. Then next time you go to level, you simply follow advice from app that tells you how how to perfectly match your last set up. Once you match the last set up, just open slides and boom, you just saved 20 minutes

LogicBlue Technology LevelMatePRO Wireless Vehicle Leveling System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FGGSWPW..._XACADb4KHRJPD
Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #11

I did the same as GFD47. Only I applied an inexpensive stick on bubble level to my front window. Picked a time when trailer was perfectly level with slides out, pulled in the slides, applied the level, then ran the slides back out. Now as long as I'm within about 1/4 bubble, I'm happy.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:10 AM   #12

I've been a fan of these Hopkins stick on levels for front and back over my v's for years. I instantly know how many inches I'm off levelClick image for larger version

Name:	20190831_070605.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	213872
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:18 AM   #13
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroMo View Post
I’m sending a link. This device is so simple to use. First you level your camper perfectly with all slides out. Push one button and it saves information. Then next time you go to level, you simply follow advice from app that tells you how how to perfectly match your last set up. Once you match the last set up, just open slides and boom, you just saved 20 minutes

LogicBlue Technology LevelMatePRO Wireless Vehicle Leveling System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FGGSWPW..._XACADb4KHRJPD
We have been using LevelMate for four years. Works great! It also levels fore and aft. I mounted ours in the forward bedroom in the TT and can watch the level from the truck. This works great on the side to side leveling.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #14

There is some great information in these posts! I have noticed that the slides on my Rockwood will cause a slight pitch that is lower on the slide side. I now carry a 1/2” thick piece of PT plywood that I Place under the slide side tires to pitch the trailer slightly up on that side. The trailer will usually end up level when the slides go out. I do not like to place too much weight on the stabilizers.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:36 PM   #15

I ran into something interesting on my i-phone. If you go to the compass (for me it's in the utilities) and then slide it out of the way (mine slid to the left), there is a leveler behind it. Put the phone on the surface you want leveled and adjust until it's green. Neat little device and you can check level anytime. I put mine on either the counter, the table, or on the hard floor (not carpet). I have an older i-phone, but, I think the new ones would have that feature as well.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, slide, slide out