Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1

Slide out etiquette

After "training" with our trailer for a year we are ready to venture further than 200 miles from home. ? is, what is slide out etiquette? it is easier to access kitchen with slide open so is it ok at rest areas? the bed will not go down unless open,is it ok to open at overnite stops say at walmart or truck stops? And is it ok to open while still hitched to vehicle?
Thanks
Pam

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #2

We put ours out if we stop along the way to eat since we can't get to the fridge very well with the slide in. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with anything or anyone and doesn't intrude into the flow of traffic and you should be fine.

We haven't done overnight except at an actual campground, so I can't comment on that. I have seen no problems sliding them out while hooked up either.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

If you are not causing any obstructions to others, opening slides is ok. We have camped at Walmarts and everyone (and the nites we stoppped there were at least a dozen or more units) including us put the slides out. We generally stay hitched to the truck and do not use the stabilizers but some people do use them. Our units design allows access to everyting including the fridge and bathroom with the slides in so we are lucky.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Another rat in the race

I think officially at rest areas and especially Walmarts you are supposed to keep your RV in the ready to go state at all times, but I don't know of anyone that has been kicked out because of extending a slide. A friend was told by a trooper that he had to hook his truck back up at a rest stop since there was no mechanical malfunction with his rig.

I think its just something to be able to get rid of you quickly if they need to.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

If we stop at a rest stop to eat lunch we will extend the slide long enough to get things out of the frig and then retract it. Never stayed at a Walmart as there have always been a campground close or we drive til we find one. Just don't think it's right, but a lot of folks do, so I guess it's ok as long as the Walmart mgr gives his permission.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Another rat in the race

It's a company wide policy with specific rules you can get them from customer service. Even in my town where the city owns the parking lot Walmart lets RVs do it. Walmart basically forced the city to let them. They know if your there you'll buy stuff. I have never seen it but some Walmart parking lots have dump stations too.

I'm to anal about planning, so we always have a campground to stay in. but I am glad the option is there in case something breaks and we don't make our landing strip for the night.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #7

We try to pull into a spot so that if we need the slide out it would be over the grass or near a tree. I also put on the Fun-noodles on the slides so that people can see them. At a truck stop after I did this a trucker gave me a thumbs up and waved. A white slide out against a white side could be hard to see. I took a fun-noodle and cut it in half the split open one of the sides, now it slides over the sides of the slide out, Hot pink is easier to see then white
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just an FYI on Walmart camping. There are some that don't allow camping in lot because of city ordinances,its not safe, or other stores have had bad experiences with campers. Keep in mind most do allow overnight stays.

Check out this link Virginia VA Wal-Mart Store Locations

Not just VA search the site.

Rick
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Just an FYI on Walmart camping. There are some that don't allow camping in lot because of city ordinances,its not safe, or other stores have had bad experiences with campers. Keep in mind most do allow overnight stays.

Rick
Wow thanks I am sure the list is correct but I know some listed in CA as "no overnight" do accept night time lay overs. I guess at that point its "at your own risk" parking.

Just goes to show you it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:

Rick
Good info to have Rick.

Thanks
James

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
If we stop at a rest stop to eat lunch we will extend the slide long enough to get things out of the frig and then retract it. Never stayed at a Walmart as there have always been a campground close or we drive til we find one. Just don't think it's right, but a lot of folks do, so I guess it's ok as long as the Walmart mgr gives his permission.
Walmart in NB Canada is now frowning on over night parkers. They generally wait until about 3 am and knock on the door telling you that you have 1/2 to clear out,
Old 06-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
Wow thanks I am sure the list is correct but I know some listed in CA as "no overnight" do accept night time lay overs. I guess at that point its "at your own risk" parking.

Just goes to show you it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch
Lets do it right. Before we park our rigs go in to the store ask for the manager or asst. mgr. ask if they allow parking and where you can park on the lot. Always clean up your area and don't forget to clean up after Fido, after all we are guests, Don't forget to stock up on anything you might need.

Lets not give our friends at Walmart heartburn. Lets be appreciative. Most I have been very nice when asked for permission.

Rick
Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #13

We always slide ours out at rest stops and even at gas stations (only if space allows). Would not recommend leaving it out all the way while overnighting at WalMart. Just a reminder, slideout operates on ur truck battery, therefore, will operate slower than when plugged to electricity.
LaDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
"On the road again"

We've stayed a few nights at WalMart parking lots while driving late and leaving out early the next morning and have always 1) asked for permission; 2) opened the slides; 3) cleaned up after our dog and 4) parked precisely where the store manager asked us to park at the far edge of the parking lot.

One night we were on a WalMart lot and kept hearing what sounded like lawn mowers running all night long.

We had a new pup, and she "got the urge" about 2:30 so I grabbed a flashlight and took her out to a grassy area.

While I was out there with her, I saw a man coming toward me. Not being accustomed to having strangers approach me on a WalMart parking lot during the wee hours, I started casually walking back to the trailer.

He asked if that was our rig...and I confirmed. He asked if we could move it up about 50 feet so they could finish striping the parking lot. Sure enough...I looked around and the entire parking lot had been re-striped except the area right immediately adjacent to our rig.

I told him thanks for not jarring us out of bed...sorry he had to wait, but moved the rig and within 30 minutes they had completed their task and left for the night.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Lets do it right. Before we park our rigs go in to the store ask for the manager or asst. mgr. ask if they allow parking and where you can park on the lot. Always clean up your area and don't forget to clean up after Fido, after all we are guests, Don't forget to stock up on anything you might need.

Lets not give our friends at Walmart heartburn. Lets be appreciative. Most I have been very nice when asked for permission.

Rick
It never crossed my mind that some people wouldn't ask.

I was just insinuating that the management was turning a blind eye to ordinances or company directives regarding security. My wife and I have always tried to live our lives with 2 rules in mind, leave places cleaner/better than you found them and if someone gives you a stick make sure not to poke them with it.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
It never crossed my mind that some people wouldn't ask.

I was just insinuating that the management was turning a blind eye to ordinances or company directives regarding security. My wife and I have always tried to live our lives with 2 rules in mind, leave places cleaner/better than you found them and if someone gives you a stick make sure not to poke them with it.
X-2 On your remarks I agree whole hardheartedly. My comments weren't meant to be disparaging remarks towards anyone , just comment towards some of the folks new to rv ing and camping giving them some suggestions.

My sincere apologies if I offended anyone.

Rick