Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Question Slide-out not working properly

I have a 2003 model, 28RKFS Cedar Creek 5th wheel with one slide-out. The slide motor is working ok but it only operates the side of the slide that the motor is on. The square bar which runs across to the other side to turn it is not working. Therefore, one side tries to pull in but the other side stays out. I have not tried to manually bring it in because I don't know where the manual connection is. Can I take a wrench and turn the square bar which connects to the other side? Or what should I be looking for? Thanks
Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like the "shear" bolt has broken.
There should be one if not two shear bolts one at eack end of the square tube.
Look closely for a drilled hole that may have had a bolt in it.

Be careful now that you've moved the slide out the "tracks" on each side may be "out" of sync.

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I just got back from checking it out. The shear bolts that I think you are referencing are in place on both ends of the slide. (I know because I looked at these thinking that the manual slide wrench was suppose to fit over these.) I found the manual crank rod and I found the crank slot on the opposite side of the fiver. When I manually cranked the slide, the same thing happened as with the motor. The end where the motor is located started moving in but the opposite end did not move. Something must be broke or off track where the square rod connects to the motor. The gears on both side looked ok. I guess I will call a mechanic out to look at it.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My understanding of the drive is that the room is driven in/out by the motor/actuator. The gear pack on each rack and the cross-shaft is the means to keep the room moving in/out squarely. Here's a link to the Lippert manual... http://www.lci1.com/images/support/m...ideout-web.pdf Look at pages 12 and 13 for the drive schematic.

If the shear pins on the cross-shaft are OK, look for a problem with the gear pack on the side that's not moving.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #5

Thanks! I talked to a RV mechanic and he also thinks that the gear pack is causing the problem. He is scheduled to check it out next Tuesday. Walton

Tags
slide, slide out