Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #1

Slide out uneven vertically

My number two slide is uneven vertically. It's flush at the bottom but out on the top about 1.5 inches. I can also shake it a little bit and it has some movement. When it is in it is seated fine. Is this normal or is there something I can do to fix it, I really really love my unit. It is a 2014 Wildcat 295 RSX. Thanks. P.S. I have tried the timing method by running it in three times and to no avail.
Bryan Linder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

Is your slide a Schwintek or Lippert? Can you post pics of the issue?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #3

slide out

Thanks I tried to send pics from my phone but not sure if they went through. Not sure of what kind it is because we didn't get an owners manual when we bought it.
Bryan Linder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

It it a cable slide? If so, and there isn't an obstruction, the cables may need adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
Ready to Go

I have that issue in reverse, My kitchen slide out is hydraulic and when closing her up she does not seal all the way on one bottom corner. When I open her up she seals inside just fine. I have been all over the slide out and nothing is in theway of the closing.

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

For the cable slides, which is a give-and-take system, the cables are what keeps the room plumb/level... and not a track or rollers. There are rollers, however they do not provide balance, only a single rolling surface. Think of a logger balancing on one log.

If one set of cables (top or bottom of either the inside or outside) are too loose, the room will tip over until the slack is taken up. Since the room runs up against the wall, it should get plumb once fully open or closed. That only works is the slack is on top though, due to gravity.

A quick way to check is to full open the room then check slack on the outside cables (all four). Simply taking up the slack will get you pretty close.

Although a little more difficult, fully close the room then check for slack on the inside cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #7

I can't comment on it if it is a cable actuated slide.

If it is a hydraulic slide and similar to what is on Cedar Creek then there will be an adjustment for the vertical plum of the slide. If it is different then well..I am going to waste the next 5 minutes typing....:-)

Now this all assumes first there is nothing it is hanging up on or jamming it obviously. I say that as an inch and a half out is quite a bit.

My living room and kitchen slide are both out about half an inch. I was adjusting the kitchen slide today after being tired of it being out for the past year.

The living room is a 13 foot slide and heavy so I will adjust that another day.

Now I can say from experience on mine and another friends they only seem to show being out of plum when they are extended. Retracted the looked fine but not extended. Which makes sense if you ever look at where and how they adjust for vertical plum....plus the slide can sort of free wiggle a bit when it retracts and just sort of self aligns to the slide in the vertical.

The side to side though if it is out will be out both extended and retracted.

I will say that if you do adjust the vertical plum you then need to check the fit at the extended position ( if it is hydraulic at least) as it may need to be adjusted out a bit more. You would know because now it will rock when you push on it after it is aligned and fully extended.

You can crawl under your slide and see if you can see the hydraulic rod. Usually if it is hydraulic you have two large steel arms with teeth and pinion roller and then a long 1" or so steel rod with nuts on the end. Unless your entire system is behind the wrap...then sort of sucks.

Of course if it is cables....ignore the last 400+ words.

I would think you could tell quickly if it is hydraulic...you should have a pump and valve setup in one of your compartments...?
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Ready to Go

shughey00 you did not waste your 400+ words and I hope it did not take you 5 minutes to type this.. LOL :-) The only cable I have is the bedroom and my other three slides are hydraulic. I have printed your 400+ words and will try this out this weekend once we get to Panama City Beach. Thank you so much I am a little anal and that space bugs the you know what out of me.

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

Ok thats cool.

I did not elaborate on the adjustment or where it is. I have to go by whatI have but maybe it is slightly different on yours. Can't see how it could be for a hydraulic slide but hey...I don't know for sure.

Now on mine and many others where the large square arms mount to the slide out on the outer wall there is a bracket. On mine that bracket has two 3/4" lock nuts that are locking down the sliding bracket. ( I can make all adjustments with a 3/4" box wrench and or socket...might need some leverage if it is rusty}..anywho If it is the same as mine then it will have slots so the slide can slide up and down and actually side to side.

Then underneath is the adjusting bolt to either tilt the slide in or out relative to the outer wall plum. Theoretically you would back that bolt off if it is like mine as it will drop the slide bottom down causing the top of the slide to tilt out.

Technically you are adjusting room height but...if the room is too high or too low then it will not sit flush to the wall when extended. Too high and the top has a gap when extended and too low the bottom may have a gap.

I would caution to be careful. DO not back the two lock nuts back too much...just enough so you can adjust height. I do it with the room extended then just retracted back a few inches. Measure the offset inside top and bottom and then make a reasonable adjustment then run the slide out and measure again and make sure you are going the right way.

If you make large changes you can end up with some nasty sounding noises when the slide retracts so go slow..maybe drop the bolt 1/4" and check. Make the same adjustment amount on both sides.

Once you get it close check the gap now to see if not only is it even or close to it but are you now out enough. The bottom was but not the top..now with it even you may need to adjust the extended position which on mine is easy.

Again I hope yours is similar and if it is I can post pics from my manual on adjusting slides.

I don't know if Lippert or whomever has changed the mounting in the past ten years or so....so..ya know...I have to err on the side of caution.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out