Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #1

Slide toppers

Our new 5th has a number of slides (4), so i have a few questions for those with knowledge on this.

1. what are the benefits (besides keeping leaves off in the fall) of putting on slide toppers and are they really worth the cost?

2. are all the brands equal or is one brand a standout for some reason?

3. if you have them would you put them on your trailer?

4. anything i should know in making this decission that i havn't asked?

thanks
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

This question has been asked previously on the forum. Please search for "toppers" and you will see the pros and cons from nearly everyone on the site. There are many good reasons to have them and almost as many not to.

Let us know how you decide!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #3

As Lou has suggested, checkout the pro's and con's. There is a lot of info to repeat.

I will say two things, #1. In order for the slide out toppers to be effective, they need to be kept snug when the slide out is open, and #2. for appearance and mildew free they should be cleaned regularly just like your awning, it's the same material.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Our new 5th has a number of slides (4), so i have a few questions for those with knowledge on this.

1. what are the benefits (besides keeping leaves off in the fall) of putting on slide toppers and are they really worth the cost?

2. are all the brands equal or is one brand a standout for some reason?

3. if you have them would you put them on your trailer?

4. anything i should know in making this decission that i havn't asked?

thanks
If you feel you want to spend the money on them then that is your choice, just remember that rain doen't always come straight down nor do leafs and debris always fall straight to the ground. The odds are varry high that rain will still get on the roof of your slide aswell as other blown around debris. Also comes the cleaning aspect of slide toppers, just like your awning they must be kept clean or you will have mold and mildew on them. To me it is just another thing that I would need to worry about and I don't need other things to do on my TT as I already have enough to do. Spend some more time camping and enjoying instead of cleaning your TT all the time.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

We have 3 toppers on our 3 slides and love ours. Best money we spent.

Breaking camp after a snow storm the snow just slid off as we retracted the slides. Same for rain and leaves. Carpet dry; wife happy.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #6

Another huge advantage is to keep the slide and TT cooler. The least insulated part of the trailer is the slide outs. With the sun beating down on a slide out vs beating down on a slide topper you will notice a difference in temp. The slide topper helps to keep the unit cooler and it does.
cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Grape Escape

Your money to spend. Never had em never missed them.
Second trailer with slides. Easier for me to sweep debris or mop water off than worry about 3 or 4 more awning that get rolled up wet. I have seen how much work it is to clean an awning after mildew sets in.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Second trailer with slides. Easier for me to sweep debris or mop water off than worry about 3 or 4 more awning that get rolled up wet. I have seen how much work it is to clean an awning after mildew sets in.
I here you loud and clear!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #9

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
We have 3 toppers on our 3 slides and love ours. Best money we spent.

Breaking camp after a snow storm the snow just slid off as we retracted the slides. Same for rain and leaves. Carpet dry; wife happy.
You have carpet on top of your slides???????

HAPPY CAMPING "EH" !!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Ditto. Second unit without and not sitting here wishing I did. Takes 5 min to sweep off the slides prior to departure. IMO you would still have to do a debris check anyway and it is easier to climb on the roof than find a ladder to get on to look under the toppers. But everyone has their own view on this as always.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #11

I agree with Herk.... have had a trailer without them and now one with. Right up there with the power tongue jack as the best option decision that we made .

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
Site Team

we have one slideout that didn't have a topper when we first got it. we thought we didn't need one but were we wrong!
since we camp in wooded state parks the most, we would get all kinds of stuff on top of the slide.
the worst was dirt/residue from the trees and campground that made the seals stick together and prevented the slide from opening.

since we added the topper, we haven't had this issue anymore and no more climbing the ladder with a broom.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote