Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #1

Slide toppers - Yes/No/Not worth the cost?

We have 4 slides on our Signature 8324BS and are wondering about fitting slide toppers. 2 of the slides will be under full awnings on the door side, so I assume those would not need it - please tell me if I’m wrong about that, but the 2 on the other side are exposed.

So the question is - are they worth the cost, and if so, what should we be looking for (I read a lot about the Dometic ones being good).

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #2

We have them on all 3 slides. I would put them on all of your slides to help protect them if you have to leave your big awning closed. Keeps branches and junk off of them.

Sent from my XT1565 using Forest River Forums mobile app
and last but not least, our yellow lab Jayda and our chocolate lab, Julia.
Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

Many don't like them. I am not sure why. I had a bumper pull TT without them, but only one slide. I have not had a 5th wheel without them, so I don't know what that's like. I know I love mine, and they keep the billions of pine needles out of my trailer, among lots of other stuff. My opinion is, I wouldn't have a unit without them.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Team

I can't answer this Q: "are they worth the cost?" but I'm definitely glad I have mine which were made by Dometic.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Many don't like them. I am not sure why.
Typically when this question is asked, the majority is for them.

I wouldn't say I don't like them, but they are not something I plan on adding to my trailer. Sometimes it seems like they are more trouble than they are worth with all the people that constantly ask how to clean the roof underneath them or how to stop them from flapping.

I've never had a problem with the roofs of my slide outs. If they get dirty, I clean them off. Although I only bring my slides in/out twice a year.

YMMV
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Your last sentence is probably why. That might make sense in not getting them.

I bring my slides in and out about 300 times a year. If I want to rely on a battery blower (which I have, and use) as my only method, then I can use that to blow underneath the toppers.

If you saw where I live (though I admit I'm not there a lot anymore), you'd see a zillion mature pine trees. And I fight pine needles 24X7X365.....OH, and gum balls on top of that!! Anything that covers a part of my trailer is a good thing!

But yes, if I didn't move my slides often, I might not get them. I have no idea what these cost. I ordered this trailer, checked the boxes of what I wanted, and robbed a bank to pay for it. I admit, I checked the Topper box without a clue of what they'd do.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Always Learning

They’re well worth it for me.

Here are pros/cons to them:
http://learntorv.com/slide-toppers-a...gs-definitely/
Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

I would not buy a trailer with slides without having the slide toppers added. This is our third 5er and all three have had slide toppers on them. I had them installed on the last two units we have purchased.

Why? They help keep the inside of the unit dry from rain water when closing the slide. You do not need to go up on the roof and clean off the slide tops of debris such as leaves and sticks. The slide toppers act as a insulator in keeping the hot sun light from heating up the slide roof.

A friend of mine had a different make of 5er with no slide topper on his slide roofs. They were in the market for a new 5er and look at our old Cougar to see if they like the Cougar brand. His wife asked about our slide toppers and I explained why we had them. They both stated that the inside of their 5er was always wet on the inside when they closed the slide when it was raining. Not a lot of water but enough that the carpet would get wet. They also stated that in the fall he was always on the roof cleaning the slide roof of debris so, as not to damage the seal from debris when closing.

They went out had had the toppers installed on their unit after seeing my unit. Keeping their 5er.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #9

IMHO, they work better on small vs. large slideouts. Over time large slide awnings will stretch, sag, pool water and debris WILL get underneath them. Harder to deal with if you have large slides.

I have one 12 foot slide and it takes me less than a minute to blow or sweep debris off prior to closing.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #10

It's my understanding that the slide toppers are a lot less expensive if installed at the factory rather then doing them afterwards so it would make more sense ordering them during the initial purchase.

That aside, I think they're worth it since they keep rain and leaves off the top of the slides. A nice convenience as well, otherwise you might have to get up on a ladder to sweep or blow off the top of the slide before you close it...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
Site Team

I'm pro-toppers.

But 4 slide toppers willing be expensive.
Would've been way cheaper from the factory or dealer installed before you paid for it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #12

I added a topper to my slide just before winter began. A couple days ago it demonstrated it's value. A bunch of wet snow fell and the temp dropped into the teens. If the topper wasn't there all that snow would have been frozen to the top of the slide and if I wanted to move the trailer there would be a couple hours of work getting it of before retracting the slide.

As it was, because the topper is flexible the snow would just fall off the fabric as it rolled up on it's roller. No snow coming inside the trailer to melt and run across the floor..

The topper also extends beyond the ends of the slide so when it rains an inch or so, all that water is directed away from the seals.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #13

So glad we have toppers on all three slides. While in Myrtle Beach this past New Years we had snow and ice. When we had to leave we had 2" of ice on two of the toppers. As we pulled in the slides the ice cracked and fell off doing no damage. It would have been impossible to get that ice off the top of the slides if we did not have toppers, especially considering the entire roof was ice covered.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #14

I've only had a camper with a topper but I can't imagine not having one after seeing all the stuff that lands on it when camping. Plus the idea of a bunch of rainwater not hitting the top of the slide sits well with me too. We camped during a few good storms last year without any issues. I have not had the wind noise or other issues that some users ahve experienced but if I do, I will just deal with them over not having a topper.
jayrodoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #15
Was

I added one to my slide and love it. No more getting a ladder out and cleaning the slide top when packing up>
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #16

ive never had a camper with slide toppers. I heard the negative is price and wind noise. Just a read a thread yesterday about the wind noise coming from flapping slide toppers.

Weekend campng with slides closed most of time prob not worth it. Seasonal camping open all the time prob worth it.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #17

Me it's a must have

Keeps the top of the slide clean, plus I would think it minimizes a leak as it keeps the water off the top of the slide.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #18

Had them installed on the last 3 5ers and will never be without them. Another reason ~~ I'll be 70 soon and old bones take long to heal on those old guys that survive a fall.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #19

Yes!

We added them to our second fifth wheel and have not regretted it a bit. Worth the expense for the amount of trash they keep off the slides. We have five slides so it about $2000 but worth it!
Follycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #20

Toppers

I have a tall 5'er that did not have toppers. I read all the pros and cons and decided to install them. The reasons being that even with a ladder it was difficult for me to reach the tops safely and I have a difficult time climbing the mounted ladder. If I could've reached them easily I would have gone without them.

Tags
slide