Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Slideouts with peaked roofs

At a campground over the weekend I saw something I had never seen (or at least hadn't noticed). It was a Silverback fifth wheel that appeared to be brand new. All three slideouts had peaked roofs. I don't know much about slideouts but it seemed this design might lessen the need for the slideout awnings. But I'm wondering if the A-frame design causes some space constraints on the inside.

With the slides pushed in, I don't think it would be very noticeable, but with them out, the design really stood out. I just wondered what some of you folks thought about the pros and cons of such a design. Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Always Learning

The ones that I remember seeing inside was neat - I feel like I remember it giving you more headroom inside (except maybe out at the outside edges).

I have read that slide toppers cannot be used with this design. I'd wonder if there was enough of a peak to really make a difference with leaves and stuff sliding off. My gut says, I'd doubt it- but I'm just guessing.

I think the peaked slide roofs are neat. I'm not sure if they'd make or break a decision for me, though.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

The pitched slides are excellent! It really opens up the space in the inside. It is true that awnings are not really necessary the rain and some debris roll off but some stay. But over all it is a great design and I do not think I could go back to a regular slide again!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The ones that I remember seeing inside was neat - I feel like I remember it giving you more headroom inside (except maybe out at the outside edges).

I have read that slide toppers cannot be used with this design. I'd wonder if there was enough of a peak to really make a difference with leaves and stuff sliding off. My gut says, I'd doubt it- but I'm just guessing.

I think the peaked slide roofs are neat. I'm not sure if they'd make or break a decision for me, though.
From the looks of the one I saw, it seemed steep enough for leaves and pine needles to slide right off if they were dry.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
The pitched slides are excellent! It really opens up the space in the inside. It is true that awnings are not really necessary the rain and some debris roll off but some stay. But over all it is a great design and I do not think I could go back to a regular slide again!
And there you have a much better response than my guess - actual experience!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

I especially liked the "peaked" roof appearance on the inside of our new Silverback 29RE. I'm sure the outside will shed water and debris more efficiently but it was the overall appearance and roominess of the inside that appealed to us. Am looking forward to our 4 month summer odyssey throughout the intermountain west.
w/Duramax & Allison Trans
gkeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the great responses. It's hard to tell from the outside what the effect will be on the interior, but it sounds great.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #8

Here is a video on the Silverback. Oakman posted it earlier but watch it and you can see the difference it makes.

kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #9

I love the cathedral ceiling in our slideouts, it makes the interior look even more spacious. I wish the bedroom slideout had the peaked roof the way the newest ones do. The only time I have to deal with debris on the main slideouts is during wet weather. Wet leaves will stick to anything and everything.

Here are a couple of pics of our 29RL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2211.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	25424   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2212.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	25425  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #10

The cathedral ceilings impressed us when we were looking at 5er's last year. The added headroom in the slides really opens things up.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:07 AM   #11

Angry Silverback/Cathedral Slides

I have a 2011 Silverback with the peaked slides. Husband wants to put slide-toppers on them, I am not sure there is a need. Have any of you put toppers on? Also, what do all do, about the fact that the awning does not cover the steps entirely and they get wet when it rains. Is there a fix for this?
trulyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #12

We love our cathedral slides. They indeed give a much more spacious feel inside.

I can't conceive of a way to put slide toppers on them, and the angle is not steep enough to prevent some debris from accumulating. But I have a very long extendable brush that I use to sweep them from the ground.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote