Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

Slides-In or Out?

I have a new Rockwood Windjammer 3025w. When I have it parked at home I have an electricity source to keep the RV plugged in and AC (set to about 80) turned on.

I have 2 questions:

1) is it bad to keep one of the AC units on all the time? I live in south east Texas and it gets VERY hot here during the summer!

2) is it ok to keep the slide outs out all the time?
djurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djurden View Post
I have a new Rockwood Windjammer 3025w. When I have it parked at home I have an electricity source to keep the RV plugged in and AC (set to about 80) turned on.

I have 2 questions:

1) is it bad to keep one of the AC units on all the time? I live in south east Texas and it gets VERY hot here during the summer!

2) is it ok to keep the slide outs out all the time?

1) NO

2) YES

As a Seasonal...
We keep the AC set to 80 when we aren't there and 70 when we are.
We open the slides in April and close them in October.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

The a/c will use some power so just monitor your power bill. I like to have mine on a day or two before we travel or if we are going on back to back trip a week or so apart I will leave it on. If you have power and don't mind checking it every day or two you could get a small dehumidifier. It would be good for your trailer if you decide not to leave the a/c on. I leave my slides out most of the time. In the spring I don't leave them open because we have bad pollen and it can't get on the sides of the slide or the topper if it is closed. We also have isses with birds trying to build near under the slide out topper. So there is a few weeks that we close ours. Do you have a topper? If not, I might not leave it open as much because it would be more fun exposure on the roof and seals. Just my opinion though.
Jeff
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
The a/c will use some power so just monitor your power bill. I like to have mine on a day or two before we travel or if we are going on back to back trip a week or so apart I will leave it on. If you have power and don't mind checking it every day or two you could get a small dehumidifier. It would be good for your trailer if you decide not to leave the a/c on. I leave my slides out most of the time. In the spring I don't leave them open because we have bad pollen and it can't get on the sides of the slide or the topper if it is closed. We also have isses with birds trying to build near under the slide out topper. So there is a few weeks that we close ours. Do you have a topper? If not, I might not leave it open as much because it would be more fun exposure on the roof and seals. Just my opinion though.
Jeff
If you leave your slides out for any length of time and it has a slide topper, definitely check before running it in. Little baby birds can't take a whole lot of squeezing. Don't ask me how I know....

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

I set my A/C to 90, keeps it from baking inside and I keep the slides in, less square footage to cool and less chance of damage in the driveway.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide