Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

Sliding Bed Ideas

All,
Our bed looks like the one pictured below. Due to the shelves/cabinets on the sides, it's very hard to make up the bed.

I'm thinking of adding a thin sheet of MDF or particle board over the base in order to be able to slide the bed down towards the foot in order to make it up. I have foam elevation wedges under the mattress to raise the head, so sliding the mattress by itself wouldn't be easy.

Does anyone have any ideas for rollers or something else to make it slide more easily? I don't want to raise the elevation of the bed much more, because the foam wedges already add some height to it. Plus, I'd like to keep the sliding portion as thin as possible to keep the weight down.

Also, has anyone done this without rollers (just thin plywood)? If so, is it easy to pull it forward? IMO, this would be better because the wood could be very thin, since it doesn't support any weight just sitting on the base.

BTW, we never use the flip up lid at the foot of the mattress, since the front of the under bed storage is open, so that's not an issue.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv bed.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	217816  
Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 PM   #2

This should make it pretty slickery, but don't blame me if you end up on the floor in middle of the night if you're a restless sleeper!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardboar...2777/202189720

One side will be baby butt smooth and that's the side you want toward mattress then just tack rough side to existing framing/decking with dollops of construction adhesive. Might add a strip of Velcro to very bottom of mattress and hardboard sheeting "just in case". Lol
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:41 PM   #3

BTW- Any big scrap pieces you have left make excellent "creepers" on rock or gravel where traditional creepers won't roll. JUST DO NOT WALK ON IT!!!! Ask me how I know.
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:59 AM   #4

I'll have to try that out. Thanks.

Tags
bed